The Doors founding member Ray Manzarek dies, aged 74

Tools    

The founding member of The Doors passed away today (May 20) at the RoMed Clinic in Rosenheim, Germany, the official Doors Facebook page announced.

The keyboardist had been battling bile duct cancer for several years. He died with his wife Dorothy Manzarek, and his brothers Rick and James Manzarek by his side.

Ray formed The Doors in 1965 upon meeting poet Jim Morrison on Venice Beach.

The Doors went on to become one of the most iconic and influential bands of the 1960s, selling over 100 million albums worldwide.

Ray became a best-selling author after Morrison's death in 1971. He also continued as a Grammy-nominated solo artist.

He reunited with Doors guitarist Robby Krieger for a tour in 2002.

"I was deeply saddened to hear about the passing of my friend and bandmate Ray Manzarek today," said Krieger.

"I'm just glad to have been able to have played Doors songs with him for the last decade. Ray was a huge part of my life and I will always miss him."
We knew it was coming, but it's still a bit of a shock.

R.I.P Ray.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
R.I.P. The Doors are one of my favourite bands, and Manzerak's keyboard work was a defining part of their music.