The Untouchables

Tools    

Dwarf Tosser #1
I'd been meaning to see this for some time and finally got around to it a few weeks ago. I must admit looking at the credits no doubt boosted my expectations quite considerably, and whether this contributed to my overall perception of the film - I don't know.

When the movie finished I just felt incredibly unfulfilled. I've always been a huge fan of David Mamet's writing, and with a cast featuring such names as Sean Connery, Kevin Costner, and Robert De Niro I was undoubtebly expecting something particularly brilliant.

I normally would search for something more eloquent than "unfulfilled" but quite frankly I can't think of anything else to describe my feelings after seeing this... I don't know how it was received when it was first released, but looking at IMDB.com I see it's in the top 250 on there, which is the basis for why I find it so odd I didn't like it.

I'm interested just to hear what others thought about the film, to see if I really should watch the film again or whether it would just be a waste of 2 hours.

I thoruoghly enjoyed the film...what were some of the things u didn't like...?

The film works on many levels...

Good acting: relationship between Costner and Connery.

Great cinematography: Steven Burum takes Depalma's direction flawlessly with great crane and unbroken shots throughout...The film is also beautifully lit.

Well written screenplay...good dialogue throughout even from the non-principles...

Great ending sequence on the roof and in the courtroom...

You are however entitled to ur opinion...just give some detail with it...

For me this is one of the best crime movies ever made, i dare to say this is close up there to the godfather and scarface, love this era and robert de niro is just as sinister as it can be for a movie villain, felt so sad to see connery die like that in the film, one of the best films i ever saw on the small screen

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
Have to agree with the OP. The movie feels slow and ordinary in spots. I felt little tension throughout aside from the terrific (and tension filled) train station shootout. Also De Niro is a pleasure to watch and commands attention although he has limited screen time. Connery also gave a great performance but overall, somethings lacking in the film. It might be the tone....how serious is this film? Are there moments of silliness that ruin the immersion? Of course I can enjoy silliness but I do like a serious crime caper, having said that I could be wrong about this it’s been a while. If not the silliness than I have to say parts of the story I remember being bland. That’s much has stayed with me. Moments of brilliance like the de Niro scenes and the train station shootout to moments of blandness and now..whilst I’m typing I remember, silliness with the accountant becoming a expert gun touting hero.