Tyler's Revised Top 100

→ in
Tools    

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
It's been around a year since I last posted a top 100 and that last one is barely indicative of my current taste in film (though I'm sure it still leaves a lot to be desired ). This one, I hope, will provide some of you an insight into what kind of films I like.

A problem that afflicted my last list, and a few before it, was the tie. There will be no ties, none whatsover. I may put a film down as a tribute to it's entire series, but this will be 100 films, with no ties whatsoever.

So I hope you all enjoy this list, there will be surprises, there will be controversy...

And there will be Seagal.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Wow another updated list, there must be something in the water just now! I'm actually working on a new list of my own just now but loads of films I still want to revisit, so at the very least its a few months away.

Anyway really looking forward to seeing what you've got for us Tyler. Even with the threat of Seagal!

And... here... we...

GO.

100. The Doors (1991)

First cab off the rank. To begin with, I couldn't give two sh!ts about historical accuracies. Especially when the movie is still wonderfully entertaining and engaging despite them. I really love The Doors' music and, obviously, a lot of it features here, which instantly won me over. Of course, this is less of a Jim Morrison and The Doors film than it is a display of Oliver Stone's uncompromising vision of a certain time period, which is certainly helped by some striking imagery and a fantastic, career best performance from Val Kilmer as Morrison. It's a love it/hate it film; if you don't like Oliver Stone's style, you won't like it. Luckily, I'm a Stone fan, of this film and a few other films that will be coming along shortly.

99. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986)

I've recently become a huge fan of the Star Trek films, and this is undoubtedly my favourite. My favorite episodes of Star Trek (any of the series I've seen) are the ones that are more humourous than anything, so it's no surprise that The Voyage Home, the first full-blown comedy entry of the series would be my favourite. I like all of the Star Trek movies I've seen so far (Khan came close to making the list), but The Voyage Home is a wonderful and very entertaining film, very well directed by Nimoy and the cast obviously having the time of their lives.

You get + rep for The Doors. I love that film, as you know. Never cared for any of the Star Trek films I've seen and that's one of them.

Yes, I did know that. In fact, it's high placing on your list was one of the main reasons I checked it out.
Cool. It's always nice to hear you've given someone a new favourite.

99. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986)

I've recently become a huge fan of the Star Trek films, and this is undoubtedly my favourite. My favorite episodes of Star Trek (any of the series I've seen) are the ones that are more humourous than anything, so it's no surprise that The Voyage Home, the first full-blown comedy entry of the series would be my favourite. I like all of the Star Trek movies I've seen so far (Khan came close to making the list), but The Voyage Home is a wonderful and very entertaining film, very well directed by Nimoy and the cast obviously having the time of their lives.
+ rep from me

Voyage Home is a great movie. Not the best Trek film (Khan takes it in my book), but an awesomely entertaining science fiction movie.

98. Speed (1994)

One of many action classics I grew up with. This honestly shouldn't have worked, but I'm definitely glad it did. It's entertaining to the extreme, with good performances and a fantastic screenplay. Plus, Sandra Bullock isn't annoying! At all!

97. Alien Resurrection (1997)

I am not a fan of the Alien series. I find the first three to be a bunch of ok films that don't deserve the praise they get. Resurrection, however, learns from the mistakes of Alien 3, and instead trying to recreate the atmosphere of Ridley Scott's overrated original, instead goes in the direction of balls-out fun. I love the bizarre visuals and interesting ideas the film possesses. And if you need anymore convincing in why I think this is the best of the series, let me throw a couple of names at ya:

Ron Perlman, Michael Wincott, Dan Hedaya, Brad Dourif. Four dudes I always look forward to seeing in a film.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
I really like The Voyage Home. It's a bit goofy and cheesy but I love the fish out of water comedy moments, such as Spock and Kirk on the bus with the punk rocker.

And Speed I absolutely love!!! As you could see by the review I coincidentally posted just like 15 minutes ago. Speed review

96. Under Siege 2: Dark Territory (1995)

There are those who say this surpasses the original. I don't tend to agree, but despite my opinion, every time I watch this, I can see where they are coming from. It may rein in Seagal and his eccentric tendencies, but its a definite blast of solid action fun, as a trainload of terrorists try to take over the world using a satellite, but quickly find themselves under siege by a stoic, killer cook with a recipe for death. A lot of memorable faces on the villain side of things (Zed from Pulp Fiction and Ed from Twin Peaks) and Katherine Heigl in one of her very first roles, playing Seagal's orphaned niece.

I check out a lot of Seagal forums and sites (I have no life) and I've seen many that believe Under Siege 2 is better than the first.

You should check it out, you might like it.

95. L.A. Confidential (1997)

It took me about four viewings before I started really loving this film. Kim Basinger may be one of the most limited actresses on this earth, but even she's perfect in this neo-noir classic, that works as a solid throwback and a straight product of it's own genre. Very engaging crime thriller, in which Russell Crowe, who I normally really dislike, manages to give one of his three good performances.

94. Hard Target (1993)

Possibly the most badass Van Damme has ever appeared in a film, and John Woo (in his American directing debut) certainly helps with many cool slo-mo shots and frenetic, perfectly paced action. If you need more convincing, this is the film where JCVD bites the head off a snake. And he has a mullet.