100 Favorite Films by hapax_legomena

→ in
Tools    

Salutations! After a jolly good time creating a list of the 75 worst films I have seen, I have decided to tackle a best/favorite list. This time around I figured I would do 100. My only gripe with creating a best/favorite list, is that it is constantly subject to change, at least for me. I watch movies very regularly, and it's not rare that any new film can find it's place in my "best" list. For the sake of this, I will try to stay on top of this list by posting any films I see in the future that would crack the Top 50. Seems tedious, but fair to those films. Without any further ado, I present to thee my current standing 100 Favorite Films

100. Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom

99. Funny Games (1997)

98. House

97. Ghost in the Shell

96. Blue Velvet

95. Hunger

94. The Time of the Wolf

93. The Squid and the Whale

92. Annie Hall

91. Caché

90. Being John Malkovich

89. Another Year

88. The Double Life of Veronique

87. Adaptation.

86. Brazil

85. Pi

84. Dead Man

83. Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans

82. Oddsac

81. Weekend (2011)

Blue Velvet, Annie Hall and The Double Life Of Veronique.

I have The Squid and the Whale, Cache and Dead Man on dvd, but have yet to watch them.

Being John Malkovich is ok, but I don't love it and I've never understood the 'cool' factor it seems to have about it with cinephiles.

I have The Squid and the Whale, Cache and Dead Man on dvd, but have yet to watch them.

Being John Malkovich is ok, but I don't love it and I've never understood the 'cool' factor it seems to have about it with cinephiles.
The Squid and the Whale has really great acting all around, and also tells a really personal story with great success. Cache is one of the films that really creeps under your skin, but with no real effort. Dead Man is Johnny Depp's best film, and unfortunately the only Jim Jarmusch film I have seen.

Being John Malkovich has a really funny script written by one of the best in the business in Charlie Kaufman, and under Spike Jonze's direction, the film is very dreamlike and surreal. I'm a sucker for Kaufman/Jonze/surrealism. The three Charlie Kaufman written films I have seen are on this list. (#87 Adaptation. is another one)

80. The Spirit of the Beehive

79. A Serious Man

78. Paprika

77. Knife in the Water

76. Kuroneko

75. A Prophet

74. Fallen Angels

73. El Topo

72. 3 Women

71. Shame

shame better than double life of veronique and hausu?

horrible list, consider retirement from film.

(shame is really good obv but still. retire)

Whatever bro

70. Stroszek

69. Dogtooth

68. The Shining

67. No Country For Old Men

66. Barton Fink

65. People on Sunday

64. Cries and Whispers

63. The Element of Crime

62. Mulholland Dr.

61. Before Sunset

Dude, your tastes do not define what others should think of film. I mean my God, were not all gonna have uniformity in our tastes, thankfully. BTW Double Life of Veronique is in my worst movies list.

Enjoyable list so far Hapax, a lot of good choices.

60. Un Chien Andalou

59. The Master

58. Amour

57. Samsara

56. Walkabout

55. Tokyo Drifter

54. M

53. Koyaanisqatsi

52. Last Year At Marienbad

51. Blue

Dude, your tastes do not define what others should think of film. I mean my God, were not all gonna have uniformity in our tastes, thankfully. BTW Double Life of Veronique is in my worst movies list.
Haha learn to read sarcasm, donnie.

50. Drive Angry

49. Akira

48. Tetsuo: The Iron Man

47. Vampyr

46. Repulsion

45. A Separation

44. Aguirre, The Wrath of God

43. La Jetée

42. La Haine

41. Man Bites Dog

Dear Snuff, if only you knew how many hoops I jumped through trying to force Drive Angry onto this list.

Interesting list. I haven't seen quite a few of them, but most of the ones I have seen I think are great films.

After your first fifty, however, I wasn't expecting Drive Angry to show up. What is it about the film that makes you hold it in such high regard?

Looking forward to the rest. Keep it up!

After your first fifty, however, I wasn't expecting Drive Angry to show up. What is it about the film that makes you hold it in such high regard?
Because it defies logic and makes me question my existence.

+ Nicolas Cage sex scene while drinking whiskey and killing mofo's

40. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

39. The Piano Teacher

38. Vivre sa Vie

37. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

36. Diabolique

35. Ratcatcher

34. The Sacrifice

33. The Face of Another

32. Ordet

31. Hour of the Wolf