Tarantino's crime movies vs Kitano's crime films

Tools    

Thought he lost everything,then he lost a whole lot more.
On one side we have: Reservoir Dogs,Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown.
On the other: Violent Cop,Sonatine and Fireworks to name a few.
They are all great movies,but if you absolutely had to choose...
Who would you pick?

Welcome to the human race...
Well, this is a weird comparison considering how both directors are so radically different in terms of, well, seemingly every aspect of their approach to filmmaking. I guess personally I'd probably be more likely to watch a Tarantino film. Kitano is very hit-and-miss as a filmmaker - on the one hand, Sonatine and Fireworks are both exceptional, yet on the other hand I found Violent Cop and Boiling Point to be a bit too underweight even for films coming from a director as typically understated as Kitano.

Thought he lost everything,then he lost a whole lot more.
In a way you might be right on Kitano; his early films were not his best.
He did start to become very good by Sonatine, but his more recent work like Outrage is a bit below par.
Too bad Tarantino stopped making crime movies early in his career though.

^ This, like films from both but prefer everything Tarantino has made. Hana-bi is my favourite from Kitano but I like Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction and so on more.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I'm a big Kitano fan so would have to go with him.

Of course Tarantino ain't to shabby either.

The People's Republic of Clogher
As has been said, I don't think they're remotely comparable. Now, if you'd said Kitano's Yakuza films verses Scorsese's Mafia ones it might have had more legs.

Thing is, it's hard to compare Kitano to [i]anyone[i], although if you look at my top films list you'd figure out I'm a bit biased.

They have a lot of similarities, really violent movies, they like to have a lot of control over their work serving as writer/director/actor's in their films. I would say Tarantino has a better overall filmography, but I really love Sonatine, Fireworks, Kikujiro, and Zatoichi.

Now the question is, when are we going to start seeing Kitano's stuff on blu-ray ?

I'd say they're both about even, if we were to compare the two for simply quality of films. I didn't start really liking Kitano's work until I started watching them a second time around (for some reason) but now I'm a big fan. And I think I'm the only one that thinks Boiling Point is one of his best films.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I like Kitano's movies........................................

Friends Don't Let Friends Pay Movie Prices for Rentals
If kitano had the funky music I would pick him!

Kitano of course.