Punch-Drunk Love

Tools    

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I don't know how many people like Paul Thomas Anderson, but I saw a spot for this today on TV and found it surprising for Adam Sandler to be taking on a role like this.

Emily Watson costars...

Not too sure what it's about, but there you go...
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

I'm really looking forward to this movie. I rather enjoy it when an actor finally breaks out of his regular character. I hope it's as good as it looks.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

I've been looking forward to this one since it was called "Untitled Adam Sandler Project." I'm hoping against hope our teensy little "art" section of the Kerasotes Empire (one screen in the entire town) will get it before the end of the year.

I'm counting on Punch-drunk Love to be excellent. I have faith in P.T., and I have interest in Adam Sandler. And, hey, the Cannes Film Festival can't be wrong...

Originally posted by Mary Loquacious
And, hey, the Cannes Film Festival can't be wrong...
Yes, but there's a first time for everything...

Not too many years ago (1998 to be exact) Cannes awarded their Best Director prize to John Boorman for The General. Frankly, I don't think that was a good call at all. And that was the year Scorsese was the president of the jury to boot (David Lynch, last year's co-winner with The Coen Bros. of the Director prize, was the jury president this year). Oh well.

I'll give Punch-Drunk Love a chance, but I've been largely unimpressed with P.T. Anderson thus far. What I've really been waiting for him to do is find a voice all his own to go with his technical sure-handedness and distinctive tone, so maybe this is the flick where it all finally comes together?

Maybe not?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

A novel adaptation.
I've been ripping this movie since I heard of it. But I saw an ad today, and it actually looked good, really good. It seems that Adam Sandler is going for a humor above his general "man gets hit in balls" stuff. And more impressive, it looks as if P.T. is finally going to live up to his directing expectations, from the shots I saw, I was impressed.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
I haven't liked Adam Sandler in anything after Happy Gilmore and Big Daddy, so I am hoping he's good in this as an apology for the Waterboy and Little Nicky. I do like P.T. Anderson, sort of, I never did see Magnolia (Is it any good? I get free rentals at my work and I'm contemplating it.) but Boogie Nights was rock on. I'll see this if it comes around my neck of the woods.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Originally posted by Monkeypunch
I never did see Magnolia (Is it any good? I get free rentals at my work and I'm contemplating it.) but Boogie Nights was rock on. I'll see this if it comes around my neck of the woods.
If you get free rentals, check it out. I've never seen it and have no desire too, just looks to weird.

Originally posted by Mary Loquacious
And, hey, the Cannes Film Festival can't be wrong...
That's news to me.

I, too, am looking forward to this. I think. It looks just crazy enough to work.

LordSlaytan, I know exactly what you mean. I felt the same way when I heard about Death To Smoochy. Robin Williams is so talentedd. He can do voices for cartoon movies, kid-movies, dark comedies, serious movies, everything! He rocks. Anyway, I am definitely looking forward to this movie. Looks very good indeed.

Goddess of Memories
Originally posted by spudracer

If you get free rentals, check it out. I've never seen it and have no desire too, just looks to weird.
See it if you have to pay 100 dollars. And, yeah, Magnolia's weird, but in a good way.

Although I have virtually no idea what this PDL is about, I'm sweating with anticipation to see it. Adam Sandler was my favorite actor (back when I was 12 or so..) and I loved P.T. Anderson. The trailers are pretty neat; they make you feel like you're having an acid trip.
Instead of 5'2"
And I loved my life
And I hated you

Speaking of the TV spot, does anyone know what the song playing in the background during it is? In case there's more than one spot, it's a slow song sung by a male and has piano in it... It's a great song judging by the 15 seconds or so that I've gotten to hear of it...

I believe it's Jon Brion, and the song may be the one that was apparently left out of the film itself, but will appear on the official soundtrack album (streeting November 5th). The song is called "Here We Go".

Brion is one of those oddball wunderkinds, plays dozens of instruments, sings, writes and composes music, etc. He's often compared to Beck. He doesn't have much available as far as solo material, but he's worked with Aimee Mann on her last two albums (Mann's music was of course what fueled Magnolia) and was even in the final incarnation of her old band Til Tuesday. He worked with Fiona Apple on her debut, Tidal (Appel has been P.T. Anderson's girlfriend for the past few years). Brion's most recent film work was collaborating with Badly Drawn Boy on their tracks for the Hugh Grant flick About A Boy.

And meanwhile, Aimee Mann's Red Vines was the inspiration for THIS short animation by Evan Mather, whom I cannot plug enough...

A novel adaptation.
Speaking of which...
Did anyone notice Aimee Manns appearance in the Coen brothers "The Big Lebowski"? As I remember it, she was the nihilist whose toe they had cut off.

Just a little Aimee Mann tidbit for ya'.

Originally posted by Herodotus
As I remember it, she was the nihilist whose toe they had cut off.

Just a little Aimee Mann tidbit for ya'.
No pun intended, I'm sure.

A novel adaptation.

You caught me. I just can't help it.