The MoFo Top 100 of the Nineties

→ in
Tools    

Greetings. Wasn't the Millenium Countdown fun? Even though most of you picked the wrong movies I still enjoyed it. Picking the crazy decade of the nineties as our next countdown is an obvious choice, chances are it will members here have seen more from this decade than any others, from the previous century/millenium that is. So here we go. And don't worry about which films you pick, if I feel you've made the wrong choice(s) I'll simply change it to something that I feel is more deserving. And just to get things started right, American Beauty is the wrong choice. You have been warned.

Rules

-Submit your top 25 movies to me in a PM with the title "Username - Mofo Top 100 of the Nineties"
(of course, don't put "Username" in the title, I want you to include yours. I think this will make it easier for me to search through if need be, so thanks in advance)
-Your top 25 must be ranked 1-25, and no ties, those are lame anyway.
-Deadline for entries is July 1st, 2013. No exceptions.
-No changes to the list once it has been submitted! You don't have to submit your list until July 1st so take your time, especially if you're the indecisive type. None of this, "I just saw Three Colours: Blue for the first time and want to add it to my list." or "I completely forgot about American Beauty!" You see, that last quote is double-lose, for one you're making post-submission changes, and two you're voting for American Beauty. Not good.
-I think I'll keep Brodinski's rule of "New members can send in their Top 25 as soon as they've been on the MoFo for one month. This measure is taken so that the list isn't influenced by members who've been on here for a week and then pack their bags and never come back. If we get too many of such lists, the Top 100 wouldn't be really representative of the MoFo's taste." I like this rule.
-And this one as well: "Films that are part of a series (Three Colours Trilogy) must be regarded as SEPARATE films. It is not permitted to submit an entire trilogy as one entry."

-Films will be given points as follows: 1st gets 25 points, 2nd gets 24 points, 3rd 23 points, and so on until 25th gets 1 point.
-As for which films will be eligible for inclusion into the countdown I'll keep it simple, any film with an imdb year between 1990-1999.
Examples:
Mystery Train: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097940/ - Not allowed.
Night on Earth: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102536/ - Allowed!
Get it? Great.

-NEW RULE - Do not post your lists until after the complete top 100 has been posted. If you do, as of Feb 20th, 2013, your list will be disqualified.

So I think that's it for the rules, but as I am dictator of this little project I'll change them as I see fit, should anyone question my authority. Okay, I'm joking about that, and while I'm confessing about my joking I'll add that (being uncertain everyone will get that I was joking - you never know) of course I won't be changing people's lists, and of course you can vote for whichever film you like, even American Beauty.

So let's thank Brodinski for the great work he did for our last countdown. And I'll thank Yoda too, our fearless leader, who has kindly volunteered to help.

May the best film win!
(probably Goodfellas or Pulp Fiction, but that's okay)
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Members' lists so far:

The Rodent
Guaporense
Miss Vicky
Sexy Celebrity
Tyler1
cricket
syj
Camo
Nausicaä
Cream
TokeZa
teeter_g
Hitchcockian
Frightened Inmate No. 2
Thursday Next
nostromo87
Gunslinger 45
mark f
TheUsualSuspect
rauldc14
edarsenal
Harry Lime
Brodinski
Cobpyth
edwardc77
Gabrielle947
Pussy Galore
linespalsy
Mr Minio
Sinny McGuffins
Psychic Isaac
gandalf26
meatwadsprite
Frank The Tank
Skepsis93
Masterman
Mingusings
Sane
Godoggo
honeykid
jal90
Daniel M
JayDee
donniedarko
jiraffejustin
wintertriangles
Yoda
HitchFan97
ThomasP
stevo3001
TylerDurden99
BlueLion
Deadite
DexterRiley

Skepsis' 90s list
1. American Beauty

Come to think of it that's actually a very distinct possibility. That is, unless I see something I prefer between now and July.

Looking forward to it already.

I'm happy to follow the rules, Harry, but I don't think that I can submit Three Colours Trilogy as separate entries. I think that should be an exception.

I'm happy to follow the rules, Harry, but I don't think that I can submit Three Colours Trilogy as separate entries. I think that should be an exception.
No exceptions, sorry. And hey, I agree, personally I thought LoTR should have been one entry, but we can't start making exceptions for this or that.

How about this? Three Colours Trilogy fans, I propose that we should only vote for Blue as the representative for the entire trilogy. Does that work?

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
If it was possible with Lord of the Rings then it's possible with Three Colours.

EDIT: Blue is the worst of them to me, so no. Red is the best. :P

Should be less to catch up on to compose a list but a lot more out of memory. Are we strictly ruling out members posting lists here? Would be handy for some prompts.

Should be less to catch up on to compose a list but a lot more out of memory. Are we strictly ruling out members posting lists here? Would be handy for some prompts.
I think it's best if they keep their lists private until the end like we did last time. I'll look around for other lists, top tens of each year, top of the decade, if that will help.

Yeah, I can always look myself despite being reasonably lazy but that would be good.

Help avoid point 4 on dem rulz

How about this? Three Colours Trilogy fans, I propose that we should only vote for Blue as the representative for the entire trilogy. Does that work?
That suits me fine. Fair deal.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
I think we should allow the trilogy to be voted for as a whole. You wouldn't split up The Decalogue into 10 movies, Kieslowski's films are intended to be whole, it's just not commercially viable.

That being said, I think we should definitely come up with some system to make sure it's well represented. I think Mr. Minio is right, Red is the best, you seem to think Blue is the best, but there's no reason to divide us. Also, will our list be ordered or unordered?

EDIT: Nvm, just saw it's supposed to be ordered, lame.

You wouldn't split up The Decalogue into 10 movies, Kieslowski's films are intended to be whole, it's just not commercially viable.
Commercially viable, wow. Well, first off it's technically not a movie, and second...
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095468/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095467/

That being said, I think we should definitely come up with some system to make sure it's well represented. I think Mr. Minio is right, Red is the best, you seem to think Blue is the best, but there's no reason to divide us.
Again, like Minio you seemed to miss the point, it does not matter which one we pick. I chose Blue because it was first, that's it. Red is my favourite of the trilogy as well, despite your assumptions. And in the end it does not matter, vote for whichever of the trilogy you like, all or none, Red or Blue or even White. It was just a proposal to solve the problem.

Films that are part of a series (Three Colours Trilogy) must be regarded as SEPARATE films. It is not permitted to submit an entire trilogy as one entry. This rule stands and lists that do not comply will be disqualified.

...ordered, lame...
And to just make this one last point here, if you don't like it you don't have to enter.

Seperate films are seperate films, it doesn't matter if they're intended to watched any other way. If it meant that much, they'd wait and release them all at once.

Secondly, Blue is easily the best of the Colours Trilogy.

Thirdly, of course it's ordered! That's how it gets ranked. However, once it's over and we start posting our individual lists, then we'll get to see them in their full glory and the discussion can continue unrestrained.

Bring on the 90's! Possibly my favourite decade in cinema and, after the 1970's, the best.

How about we solve the issue regarding the Three Colours trilogy by having someone start up a poll for a week and whichever of the films gets the most votes that will be the one we collectively decide on putting our support behind to represent the entire trilogy? I think that's fair.
What's the difference between everyone agreeing to back one and putting the three together? Seems like a whole lot of fuss for nothing. I say separate them, just like LOTR in the last countdown.

I'm voting for Blue as it is so...sure!

But thematic trilogies are different from chronicle trilogies/quads/etc, thus I see literally no reason why you would count Three Colours as one entry. Wayne's World 1&2 on the other hand...

What's the difference between everyone agreeing to back one and putting the three together? Seems like a whole lot of fuss for nothing.
You're probably right, but by allowing one trilogy then we open the door for other films of the sort.

Actually, as it stands with only individual films, both Red and Blue will likely make the list, what with all the support I've seen here. Add Veronique and we have three Kieslowski films in the top 100 which is pretty cool. I change my mind, no proposed film to represent all three. Hope others agree.