Did anyone else think that 'Being John Malkovich' was overrated?

Tools    

I don't know what it was but I thought it was a terrible film. Plus I have no idea how Spike Jonze managed to get such a great cast...

http://bradmovietalk.blogspot.co.uk/?m=0

Questions about things being "overrated" are always unanswerable; overrated by who? There's always someone rating a film too highly, after all. So at best it becomes a really vague question about the general consensus on a film, which is just a hazy average, and which we probably perceive differently anyway.

It's not even rated.

But no.

How is it terrible by any stretch of the imagination?
Didn't you think that the storyline was a bit thoughtless? I mean I 'm a big fan of John Malkovich, but frankly this movie was an insult to all of his films.

Precious tritium is what makes this project go.
It's not as good as that movie where John Malkovich plays a Jewel thief.

Don't torture yourself, Gomez. That's my job.
I think it was amazeballz.

Yes it was different and weird and makes you feel uncomfortable which is why I think it doesn't sit well will some people and why other people like myself like it.

It's not the kind of movie I would rewatch again and again but I remember being amazed by it on my first viewing.

Plus Yoda is so right. You might as well be asking if we like the movie or don't like it and that always comes down to many variables based on the individual.

For example if this movie was called "Being Russel Crowe" I probably would have hated it and never even watched it, but it wasn't, so I watched it and loved it.

"And our credo: "Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc." We gladly feast on those who would subdue us. Not just pretty words."

Didn't you think that the storyline was a bit thoughtless? I mean I 'm a big fan of John Malkovich, but frankly this movie was an insult to all of his films.
Yeah, I guess in hindsight the concept of questioning a subconscious control of the human race is really thoughtless. AND TO THINK he mixed absurd humor with that, what an insult.

Seriously? I got negative repped for this? WTF.

Being John Malkovich is one of my absolute favorite movies (ranked at number 11 on my top 50 favorites). It's funny. It's original. It's engaging. The cast and performances are all fantastic (even Cameron Diaz, who I normally despise). It's one of those movies that I can watch again and again and never grow tired of.

So, no. It's not overrated. And if you truly believe it's a "terrible" movie, I'd hate to find out what movies you do rate highly.

Being John Malkovich is one of my absolute favorite movies (ranked at number 11 on my top 50 favorites). It's funny. It's original. It's engaging. The cast and performances are all fantastic (even Cameron Diaz, who I normally despise). It's one of those movies that I can watch again and again and never grow tired of.
For the record, I agree. I mean, go ahead and dislike it but I think most people who have seen it would agree that the film is objectively very thoughtful, not to mention original.

It was on my top 50 the last time 'round and while it will probably just miss the cut when I update it in the new year (unless I rewatch it between now and then and change my mind), I still love it.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I don't know what it was but I thought it was a terrible film. Plus I have no idea how Spike Jonze managed to get such a great cast...
Because it's an amazing screenplay and they care about their craft. If I were an actor, I would love to attach myself to anything either Jonze or Kaufman directed or wrote.

I think it was a quite good film. It wasn't a masterpiece of cinema, but that's expected.

No.

Furthermore, I think it was a masterpiece of cinema. One of the best films I've ever seen.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

"Hey Malkovich, think fast!"

No, it's not overrated.