I was about 10, give or take, when I saw Judge Dredd on the big screen for the first time. I remember it having action sequences, some slapstick comedy here and there, and of course Stallone ranting on how HE IS THE LAW! Needless to say the movie never really quite stuck with me. Now that I am older I can say what movies have stuck with me and why. Terminator, Rambo movies, Even Demolition man. Judge Dredd not being one of them.

Dredd on the other hand is something else. In the beginning sequences we see wide shots of an urban concrete jungle. It looks like a cross of a Chicago/Los Angeles grimy feel to it except the concrete looks older and the city seems to reek of humanity decaying for decades.

In this future, crime is rampant in this city. Dredd states that only about 6% of the crimes committed are actually solved or taken care of. These are bad times to live in. Anyways, both Dredd and his partner, who is considered a mutant because she has powerful psychic abilities, investigate a triple homicide. In a high rise known as Peach Tree. Its basically a vertical ghetto that is about 200 stories. It reminded me alot of a favela on a hill side. Full of poverty stricken people and crime.

The plot of the movie is not too bad. Both Dredd and his partner have the task of figuring out why these murders took place. The complex is ran by an ex-prostitute that took over all the dealings from her last pimp. She is running a game of drug manufacturing and she wants the Judges killed before they get any closer to her operation. this sets in motion the movie's action sequences. Which are pretty well done.

Dredd is well made. Good art direction and pretty decent acting make this a decent movie by all means. There is some cheesy parts here and there but not saturated. The movie is violent by all means, and it has to be considering the source.

The first Judge Dredd relied too much on Stallone as an actor. Here it relies the main characters actors face alot less. (thats not a bad thing) because in the end its all about being the Judge, Jury & Executioner.

out of 5