The Hunger Games

→ in
Tools    

An Auto-Bot that reviews movies....

THE HUNGER GAMES
(2012)

When books are written an author targets one audience and one audience alone. They don't expect their novels to be transformed, scripted and forged into a completely unique, brilliant and breathtaking adaption of their works. While it's an honor, it's also a tremendously difficult task that any director takes upon themselves when they make the choice to create a film out of something so magnificent and of something with such a large and loyal fanbase.
It's been done before with Harry Potter, and now, it's been done again with the Hunger Games.

The Hunger Games is an adaption of the first book in a trilogy. This tremendous task is taken on by Gary Ross the director of this unique story of the struggles of the future, the corruption of the Government and the hardship that many may face, given the circumstances pan out in a similar fashion. To simplify the story of the Hunger Games without giving too much away, audiences find themselves in an almost refuge-like camp districts (of which there are Twelve). From each of these districts, the Capitol selects a boy and girl to fight to the death on live television. Ultimately, a regular occurring event that many muse over and bet upon. This time however, Katniss Everdeen (played by Jeniffer Lawrence), a young girl from district twelve volunteers to take her younger sister's place for the latest match. What horrors will she face along the way however, she doesn't know.

The story is quite simplistic. In it's own right it's unique and unlike anything we've seen in theaters before, but when you're sitting in the theater and watching - you know that you're going to be in for a merciless show. Young teens are going to have to take up arms and fend for their lives - otherwise - death is all that awaits them. While the story is fairly accurate (from what I heard from book readers I attended with) there is a lot that's missed or cropped from the end product of The Hunger Games. While it's got the meat of the story, it's missing the apple sauce to go with it.

It takes about half-an-hour to really get into it. However, it's essential that this half-an-hour is given for the development of the characters that audiences are going to want to survive. That audiences are going to cheer for and actually worry about given the moment that they find themselves in a situation which could mean life or death. As this is the case, the character development in this film is excellent. You're actually drawn to certain individuals and actually care when they're going up against the odds. Some characters you may only be introduced to personally for a minute or so, but somehow, you still feel linked to them - even when they're not as significant as Katniss.

The directing in this film is excellent. The set choices and the destinations that the film is set within are somehow dreary and uncomfortable, but at the same time, beautiful and cinematic. The film is never a drag and you're not casting a glance down at your watch ever five minutes to see how long the scenes been going for because it doesn't seem to fit. Everything that's been filmed, created and assigned throughout the adaption is essential to creating the exciting adventure that The Hunger Games is. Director Gary Ross makes sure to drill home the message of how powerful hope can be, as well as how overpowering fear can be in the very same respect. The idea that fear, however, is always something that can be overcome - for better or worse.

Performances in the film are excellent. Jennifer Lawrence had me a little concerned when she first appeared on screen and I wasn't sure if she'd be able to carry the film - however - her acting abilities blossomed like no other and I'd go as far as saying she'd one of the most talented young females in Hollywood at the moment. She has a way of connecting with an audience emotionally, through her sadness and happiness as well as her relief and freight. A perfect choice for the lead role. Josh Hutcherson plays Peeta Mellark, co-starring alongside Lawrence. Hutcherson is immensely talented, and he is able to convey that through his acting in this film. While before he might have just been "that kid that was in all those Disney movies", now he's actually starting to branch away from all that to shape himself as a performer. Once more, his display and connection to his character was phenomenal. Minor cast members including Woody Harrelson and Elizabeth Banks put in stunning performances as well, further carrying this movie in every regard.

While many are still unpleased with the minor rating it received, Gary Ross does his best to display all the bloody, gruesome violence in a way that doesn't risk the film being pushed out of the desired rating. While it isn't as bloody as many would've hoped - it isn't absent of blood and gore. The suggestiveness of what is happening and the distinct splatters of blood and the reckless camera work makes for just as good a show as extensive blood works would have.

The film isn't without its flaws and it's certainly lengthy with an abrupt ending, considering the fact that there are another two films to follow, but The Hunger Games makes for a good watch and a nice night out at the movies. It's exciting, new and thrilling in every respect and showcases some talent that we haven't seen nearly enough of in the past few years.

An Auto-Bot that reviews movies....
Glad that I didn't have to either. Had a day off and managed to step right on in at two in the afternoon. Maybe six or seven people sitting in with us. It was great! XD

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Enjoyed it but it ain't Battle Royale, not even close.

Lawrence was excellent in the lead.

I think Battle Royale did a much better job at letting you know what's going on, keeping up with different people/groups where they are etc. No clear explanation of the rules/boundaries.

Perhaps took a little too long to get into the actual games.

WARNING: "." spoilers below
Didn't like the beginning of the games where are the weapons/food are fought over straight away. Losing 9-10 of the 24 straight away. Bit silly to have groups of 2 from every district yet only 1 can win.

7/10

Oh, I forgot about the awful use of shaky cam especially during the action scenes. You really want to see what's going on but the kinetic camerawork is rather distracting.

I don't understand what the big deal is just like didn't understand what the big deal was over Twilight but my guess would be that it's targeting the largest audience sub-group and thus is commercialy very viable for the studios.

That's the ticket, CA. Apparently, the books are a big deal in the young adult market. With that, you can only imagine how many tickets it'll sell.

I'm going to see it this weekend. I hope it meets expectations, what I'm hearing.

Movie Forums Insomniac
lol I can't figure out how to delete the post, which was really not a review, just discussion.
Why would you want to delete his post? Besides, he is discussing what he felt about the film which in turn is his review. Which is quite good.

Most of the action scenes. The actors don't have enough martial arts skills to make their fights believable or realistic, so I think the director is using the shaky cam to hide that fact from the audience.

The biggest boner in the film?

WARNING: "The Hunger Games" spoilers below
The scene with genetically altered wasps. You'd think ... if they were on the ground, looking up at her in the tree, they'd notice a wasp's nest the size of a small dog house just above her head. Or at least, she'd hear them buzzing.

ivo
Movie Forums Extra
I will probably watch this movie.

If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
**DISCLAIMER** I didn't read any of the books. What I'm about to say comes strictly from a movie-watching perspective.

What I enjoyed...
  • Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss Everdeen. My god, this young woman can act. She was incredible. Emotionally intense, magnetic, and ethereal...a job well done. Lawrence's Katniss was reminiscent of Ree, her character in "Winter's Bone" - the poor, back-country girl with a fire that burns inside of her. Her performance as Katniss was just as damn good.
  • The entire supporting adult cast: Elizabeth Banks, Stanley Tucci, Toby Jones, Lenny Kravitz, Woody Harrelson, and Donald Sutherland; all did a great job in their supporting roles.
  • The Reaping scene. This was my favorite scene for two reasons: a) it effectively established the cruelty of The Capitol and prepared you for the Game, and b) because it was the exact moment when I fell in love with Katniss and became sympathetic to her plight. I think that this scene was perhaps the most important in the whole movie, and it was well-written and well-acted.
What I didn't enjoy...
  • The young adult/tween supporting cast: Peeta (Josh Hutcherson), Prim (Willow Shields), Cato (Alexander Ludwig), Rue (Amandla Stenberg), the list goes on and on. Basically, every other "child" in the Game except for Katniss was boring and I had zero interest in them. I guess I was hoping for stronger character development amongst the Tributes.
  • WARNING: "Don't read if you haven't seen the movie!" spoilers below
    The Peeta/Katniss relationship. The writers didn't handle this very well, IMO. It was unclear throughout the entire movie if Katniss had true feelings for Peeta, or if she was just playing along per Haymitch's recommendation (young romantic love will get you sponsors, etc). Just one sentence from Katniss would have been enough, for example, "I'm sorry, I'm going along with this for the sponsors, I don't really love you." Or SOMETHING along those lines so that I'm not feeling awkward and uncomfortable during their kissing scene!
    The virtual dog beast things. OK, this was some "Twilight: New Moon" bulls*it. Those computer-generated dogs looked AWFUL and they weren't even terrifying. They looked like pitbulls on 'roids. Just poorly crafted and a weird scene that felt so out of place.
    Peeta's RANDOM CAMOUFLAGE MAKEUP. This bothered me A LOT. How the hell did Peeta find time in the middle of the Game to create a custom camouflage mask that SOMEHOW blended in perfectly with a rock that he JUST SO HAPPENED to find in the middle of woods?!?!?! It was a HORRIBLE scene that made no sense.
Overall, I'd say...

"The Hunger Games" was entertaining enough to be worth the $8.00. Jennifer Lawrence was amazing and carried the entire film. The movie was an effective showcase of a futuristic dystopian society, with its sweeping scenes of The Capitol and the desolate landscape of District 12. About half-way through, when the Game begins, the movie starts to lose its way. Poorly-written dialogue and action scenes that are chopped to bits contributed to the movie's downfall. In addition, the movie ends abruptly, (obviously to set it up for a sequel) with numerous loose ends left behind.

I'll give it

I don't remember asking you a ******* thing!
Here's my review of The Hunger Games.

The country of Panem seems to enjoy blood and gore at the expense of small children and teens. Every year in this futuristic country—planted on the ruins of the U.S.A. no less—the Capitol of Panem decides to hold an annual Hunger Games as punishment for a massive uprising that lead to the destruction of District 13, the leaders of the rebellion. This is an arena duel in which twenty-four “tributes”, one boy and one girl from each of the twelve districts, must fight to the death in order to win. Last one standing wins great riches, simple as that. While not the first to come up with this kind of idea, the book’s author Suzanne Collins has created a unique twist on the idea, and Director Gary Ross (Pleasantville, Seabiscuit) has beautifully adapted it to the big screen.

The premise stated above is the entire plot of this film. It centers around a girl named Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence). Katniss is a girl in District 12, the poorest district. She is a fifteen year old hunter who gathers food outside the outer fence in order to keep her family alive. She hunts with her friend Gale (Liam Hemsworth), who’s been her best friend and guide for a few years. Both actors play their part superbly, with Lawrence giving the audience the same incredible depth and range she showed in X-Men: First Class. Her portrayal of Katniss is dead-on, bringing the tough yet loving fighter to life throughout the whole show. Hemsworth does an admirable job too, considering the short screen time he’s given.

On the day of the games, Katniss’s sister Prim (Willow Shields) is selected for the games in a scene that captures the hopelessness and cruelty of the actual games, with not one dreary face missed. Fearing for her sister’s life, Katniss volunteers so that Prim would live, knowing full and well the consequences of participating in the blood sport. Joining her is Peeta Mellark (Josh Hutcherson), the baker’s son. Hutcherson, too, shows great power in his role, giving the timid Peeta a strength the audience can identify with almost immediately.

Assisting them are Effie Trinket (Elizabeth Banks), the perky District 12 team leader, Haymitch Abernathy (Woody Harrelson), a past winner who’s glued to his flask, and Cinna (Lenny Kravitz), the stylist—because the tributes must look great before they’re bathed in blood. Each helps the two from District 12 as much as they can in order to make them appeal to the audience about to watch the games.

The film itself is excellently paced, especially for its length of two hours and twenty minutes. Not one moment is wasted, and few give the audience any peace of mind. I found myself chewing on my fingers more than my popcorn watching this flick, it was that suspenseful. Even the moments that set up the games themselves held the collective breath of the audience, with little time to catch it in between.

The rest of the cast is well-acted as well, with one of the tributes giving an intense and frightening performance as a vicious competitor wanting nothing more than to shed a lot of blood. Not bad considering she only had five minutes to deliver such a powerhouse scene. Another tribute, a pre-teen girl with no room in her heart for violence, helps Katniss out and delivers one of the more emotional scenes in the film. No tribute, announcer, or President is spared a lousy actor or actress, and the film benefits greatly from that choice.

By the time the actual games come around though, the film gives us a bit of a mixed bag. While subtle scenes deliver chills and shocks, the action suffers from overzealous and shaky camera work that barely keeps up with the action and gore (which is toned down a bit from the source material). The director isn’t known for shooting action films, however, so this is a forgivable offense for the time being. The rest of the event is shot beautifully and executed in such a way that many scenes feel grand without them needing to be.

It’s not a completely faithful adaptation, mind you. The novel is told in Katniss’s single point of view, while the film gives us the behind-the-scenes look from the view of the Capitol, the audience, and even some of the other tributes. This is the strength the film has over the novel, where the movie-goer experiences this social drama going on, this underlying focus on the lust for media violence the film seems to throw at us from all angles, both subtle and in-your-face. It does take away a few scenes with Katniss that fans of the novel might cringe about, but none of them are too glaring to even consider.

A lot of loose ends get created in the process, however, which obviously set up for the sequel, Catching Fire. Also, some of the CGI effects, such as the tracker-jackers and the Hulk dogs the gamemakers send out, are done rather poorly, and distract from the very realistic portrayal of this fictional universe. The Peeta/Katniss romance does seem a bit cheesy at times (as shows in the writing on occasion), but at the same time is touching and not too overdone like in many teen dramas.

Overall, this is a flawed, yet faithful adaptation to a well-written and highly popular novel series that will see no end in the near future. The shaky camera during the action might take away the suspense factor a bit and the CGI is distracting, but the overall feel of the film overshadows everything else, from the great score, the great acting all across the board, and the social message it tries to deliver.

Rating: 3 out of 4 stars

that's what she said...
Nice reviews guys.

In my opinion it wasn't all it was hyped up to be. It was really good, prob makes my top 100 list (most likely in 80s or 90s), but it wasn't as amazing as I thought it was going to be. Thats probably why I was semi-dissapointed because I thought it was going to be a modern day classic but it didn;t hold that majestity in my eyes. I did think the chemistry between Katniss and Peeta was truely believable. I liked all the action (they could have done better death scenes- it seemed like they just dropped off like flies). Now I gotta rent the books!

I give 4/5 stars.