Favorite Chinese Movies

Tools    

Ok folks. Let's see if I can broaden your horizons and if you can complete mine. So I am an Asian movie freak and here are some Chinese movies I enjoyed. Perhaps some of you can add a few to this list:

Beast Stalker
Banquet
Blood Brothers
Election I and II
Flash Point
Curse Of The Golden Flower
The Duel
Emperor And The Assassin
Empress And The Warriors
Farewell My Concubine
14 Blades
Kill Zone
House Of Flying Daggers
Ip Man 1 and 2
The Last Bladesman
The Last Emperor
The Lover
Lust Caution
Mad Detective
Painted Skin
The Promise
The Protege
The Purple Butterfly
Raise The Red Lantern
Red Cliff 1 and 2
So Close To Paradise
The Sparkle In the Dark
The Sparow
Temptress Moon
To Live
A World Without Thieves
Blind Mountain
Blind Shaft
The Boxer From Shantung
Dog Bite Dog
God Man Dog
Kung Fu Husstle
Mountain Patrol
Shaolin Soccer
Three Extremes I and II
Three Kingdoms
The Untold Story I and II
Vengeance

And of course Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
All of Jet Li
All of Donnie Yuen
All of Cho Yan Fat
All of Gong Li

Enjoy and hopefully contribiute.

Do you mean Chinese-language movies? Or movies from China only (excluding Hong Kong & Taiwan)?
All Chinese language movies. Cross-overs like Jackie Chan and Jet Lee are rare.

I would recommend seeing any classics you can find but especially these:

Street Angel (1937) -- a timeless melodrama that stands up to any modern counterpart.

Some classics starring Ruan Lingyu:
The Goddess (1934)
Little Toys (1933)
New Women (1935)
There is also an excellent biopic of this great star who died young, starring Maggie Cheung and directed by Stanley Kwan: Center Stage (1992)
One of the best Chinese films ever is Stanley Kwan's romantic ghost story Rouge, which also had wonderful performances by Anita Mui and Leslie Cheung (both of whom are also now sadly dead.

King Hu's classic wuxia-pian films of the 60s Come Drink With Me, Dragon Inn, and A Touch of Zen are all worth seeing, as are the original One Armed Swordsman (and it's even better remake The Blade (1995)) and Bruce Lee's star-making film Fist of Fury (aka The Chinese Connection).

I'm sure I'll have more to say. Some of these deserve their own posts as does Hong Kong cinema from the 70s-90s.

First off 3 Extremes I and II both have one Korean film just to be extremely specific

The only ones I noticed missing are Wong Kar-Wai and Hero.
Hero is a Jet Li movie and I have it but thanks for Wong Kar-Wai.
Actually, I have about 300 Chinese movies. The ones I mentioned are just some of my favorites. The 3 Extremes I and II, I have in Chinese and yes they do include a Korean film.

Street Angel (1937) -- a timeless melodrama that stands up to any modern counterpart.

The Goddess (1934)
Little Toys (1933)
New Women (1935)
There is also an excellent biopic of this great star who died young, starring Maggie Cheung and directed by Stanley Kwan: Center Stage (1992)
One of the best Chinese films ever is Stanley Kwan's romantic ghost story Rouge, which also had wonderful performances by Anita Mui and Leslie Cheung (both of whom are also now sadly dead.

King Hu's classic wuxia-pian films of the 60s Come Drink With Me, Dragon Inn, and A Touch of Zen are all worth seeing, as are the original One Armed Swordsman (and it's even better remake The Blade (1995)) and Bruce Lee's star-making film Fist of Fury (aka The Chinese Connection).

I'm sure I'll have more to say. Some of these deserve their own posts as does Hong Kong cinema from the 70s-90s.
That's what I'm looking for. I do have all of Bruce Lee's movies and Brandon Lee's movies. Center Stage and Rouge, I'll definitely check out.

The Goddess (1934)
Little Toys (1933)
New Women (1935)

Did you mean Centre Stage ( Yuen Ling Yun )?
Rouge I believe was co-produced by Jackie Chen and Donnie Yuen was in Dragon Inn, if I'm not mistaken.

First off 3 Extremes I and II both have one Korean film just to be extremely specific

The only ones I noticed missing are Wong Kar-Wai and Hero.
I just looked through my collection and I do have a Wong Kar-Wai movie-
" Days Of Being Wild " .

Wong Kar Wai's Days Of Being Wild
Jia Zhangke's Still Life
Chen Kaige's Yellow Earth
Tsui Hark's Peking Opera Blues
Tsai Ming Liang's The Hole
Edward Yang's A Brighter Summer Day
Hou Hsiao Hsien's A City Of Sadness
Tian Zhuangzhuang's The Blue Kite
King Hu's A Touch Of Zen

That's pretty much all i can think of for now. Love Chinese films a lot.
Thanks. I will check out The Hole ( Dong ) and A City Of Sadness.
Recently I saw The City Of Life And Death and liked it.

Did you mean Centre Stage ( Yuen Ling Yun )?
Rouge I believe was co-produced by Jackie Chen and Donnie Yuen was in Dragon Inn, if I'm not mistaken.
Donnie Yen is in the 1992 remake of Dragon Inn. The original is from 1967. I think it was just re-made again. I think my favorite Donnie Yen film off the top of my head is Iron Monkey, but he also plays a memorable villain villain in Once Upon a China II.

Here is the IMDB page for Center/Centre Stage (Yuen Ling-yuk according to IMDB's romanization, for whatever that's worth). It's an interesting film with subtle dramatic sequences of a group of struggling film-actors and artists in Japanese-occupied China of the 1930s, interspersed with documentary segments and footage from many of the films Ruan Lingyu starred in before committing suicide over a scandal from one of her movies.

Rouge is more of a straight narrative, though its story also takes place in two time periods.

I'll put together a bigger list of films mostly from the 70s-90s in a while. I have to think about my favorites.

Temptress Moon looks interesting and I also want to see a 1993 movie called Painted Skin, which was King Hu's last film.

I also recommend Stanley Kwan's Center Stage. If theres just ONE Tsai film you have to see, that'll be The Hole. I recommend watching A Summer at Grandpa's after you've watched A City Of Sadness. Its a very subtle film that gradually unfolds its many layers about inter-family relationships.

Donnie Yen is in the 1992 remake of Dragon Inn. The original is from 1967. I think it was just re-made again. I think my favorite Donnie Yen film off the top of my head is Iron Monkey, but he also plays a memorable villain villain in Once Upon a China II.

Here is the IMDB page for Center/Centre Stage (Yuen Ling-yuk according to IMDB's romanization, for whatever that's worth). It's an interesting film with subtle dramatic sequences of a group of struggling film-actors and artists in Japanese-occupied China of the 1930s, interspersed with documentary segments and footage from many of the films Ruan Lingyu starred in before committing suicide over a scandal from one of her movies.

Rouge is more of a straight narrative, though its story also takes place in two time periods.

I'll put together a bigger list of films mostly from the 70s-90s in a while. I have to think about my favorites.

Temptress Moon looks interesting and I also want to see a 1993 movie called Painted Skin, which was King Hu's last film.
Donnie Yuen came to my attention with Kill Shot and Flash Point. After that I saw him in Ip Man I and II, Wu Shu and The Last Bladesman. Since then I backtracked and got everything I could get that he ever did.
Besides Jet Lee, Donnie is for real Chinese Kung-Fu in cinema today.

Here's a rough top 50 for me, in approximate order:

Peking Opera Blues
Once Upon a Time in China
Eat Drink Man Woman
Rouge
Police Story III (Supercop)
Boat People
Chungking Express
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
Drunken Master II
Eastern Condors
Swordsman II
Naked Killer
Kung Fu Hustle
Zu: Warriors from the Magic Mountain
The Prodigal Son
Hard Boiled
Fist of Fury
Fallen Angels
Too Many Ways to Be No. 1
Infernal Affairs
Street Angel
Dirty Ho
The Blade
To Live
Zodiac Killers
Pedicab Driver
Comrades: Almost a Love Story
Time and Tide
Lust, Caution
Center Stage
King of Beggars
Winners and Sinners
Shanghai Blues
Come Drink With Me
Encounters of the Spooky Kind
A Chinese Ghost Story
Raise the Red Lantern
Forbidden City Cop
The Goddess
Zhou Yu's Train
Iron Monkey
Springtime in a Small Town
Dragons Forever
Project A 2
The Butterfly Murders
Fong Sai-Yuk
Dragon Inn (1967)
Dangerous Encounters of the First Kind
Mr. Vampire

And another 30 in no order whatsoever:

The Spooky Bunch
Tiger on Beat
Days of Being Wild
The Master of the Flying Guillotine
The King of Masks
Tricky Brains
Once a Thief
Shadow of China
Spring in a Small Town (1948)
Ju Dou
Return to the 36 Chambers
Hero
In the Mood for Love
Project A
A Better Tomorrow
Enter the Fat Dragon
Swordsman
The Stunt Woman
Dragon Inn (1992)
King of the Children
As Tears Go By
The One-armed Swordsman
The Private Eyes
Ninja Checkmate
Wheels on Meals
Final Victory
Dumplings
King of Chess (1991)
Dragon Lord
The Young Master
King of Chess (1989)

I've done write-ups for a some of these in the Movie Tab II thread, but I'll try and add some more.