Movie Roles That Actors Regret Turning Down

Tools    

I'm sure that a lot of actors have turned down roles that they end up kicking themselves for. Here is a list of 5 that I'm sure they did just that!

http://mix941kmxj.com/five-actors-an...y-turned-down/

Semper Fooey
Actually, it appears Cary Grant never turned down Dr. No. He was approached, but never formally offered it. It was known Grant was only agreeable to signing for one movie and they wanted a commitment for a sequel. Also, the producers were cheap and it is unlikely they would have paid top dollar for Grant, one of the biggest stars of the time.

Who did turn it down? Patrick McGoohan, and Rod Taylor refused to screen test because he considered himself to be an established star. Taylor did admit regretting later not getting the role.

Clint Eastwood claims he also turned down the part before Roger Moore was hired in the seventies, but it is hard to believe he was formally offered the part. Burt Reynolds claims the same thing.

I don't know about regretting it, but Molly Ringwald was offered the role in Pretty Woman that ended up turning Julia Roberts into a Hollywood star. She's turned down a couple of other 'big' roles, too, but I can't remember them atm.

It is considered bad form among actors to talk about roles you've turned down, but such info does come out from time to time. As for regrets, I think few have the personality or ego to admit such things very often, at least publicly. Also many of these rumors are based on things as tenuous as studio notes. The name of a popular actor of an era being on a wishlist for a role is rather standard. From the mid 1980s up through the 1990s, for example, it's hard to imagine any major or minor script in town where an attempt wasn't made to get it into the hands of Tom Cruise and/or Tom Hanks. To imply then that because another actor later appeared in it means that Cruise or another megastar "turned it down" is misleading. That a studio or director wants a big star is no shocker. It's only cases where they've had specific meetings on it, started talking contracts and schedules and money, that is when you can say they turned something down. Of course Clint Eastwood and Burt Reynolds would have been on lists as possibles for James Bond or just about any action-related project of the 1970s. They were the big box office action champs of the day. And going back further, when the actors were all under contract to the various Studios, obviously every actor in the stable was potentially attatched to everything. That's where legends like Ronald Regan was going to be Rick in Casablanca come from. Reagan was never offered it, but when it was in various stages and going to be handled as a B-movie, clearly one of WB's B actors, like Reagan, would have gotten the role. But it's not as if they started filming and three days in decided, woah, we better get Bogie.

As for some famous ones that have actually been confirmed and were not just rumors or pie-in-the-sky wishes for some producer...

Alec Baldwin has admitted that career-wise it was an error to opt out of appearing in the Jack Ryan sequels, but he did so to work on Broadway in A Streetcar Named Desire and other productions, so he doesn't "regret" that decision. Certainly he acknowledges with hindsight that his film career would have likely been better in the early '90s and possibly beyond had he stayed with the franchise, but regret is the wrong word. He's happy to have done the stage work.

One star who has admitted regret on a role he infamously turned down is Burt Reynolds, for the role of ex-Astronaut Garrett Breedlove in the multiple Oscar winner Terms of Endearment. Reynolds had starred in the first screenplay of James L. Brooks' that made it to the screen, Starting Over, and Brooks wrote the part in Terms thinking of Reynolds all the while. When it came time to film it, Burt decided instead to make the would-be comedy Stroker Ace, set in the world of NASCAR with his then-girlfriend and wife-to-be Loni Anderson and buddy Jim Nabors. Whether or not Reynolds would have won the Supporting Actor Oscar that Jack Nicholson did in the role no one can say, but it certainly could have changed his career trajectory, being a well-written humorous role where he was actually playing his age and stripping away his vanity instead of hopelessly clinging onto his persona from Smokey & the Bandit in ever-increasingly ridiculous hairpieces and a paunch that could no longer be hidden. It would have made directors and casting agents think of him in a different way that may well have led to better, more important pictures in the 1980s. Instead his career took a very steep dive, going from perennial box office star to an industry punchline and box office poison over the rest of the decade. I'm sure the fact that the Burt & Loni marriage ended in one of the nastiest divorces in Hollywood history also adds to the regret. But if he had it to do over again, Reynolds has said he would most definitely have done anything and everything in his power to be a part of Terms of Endearment. Well...duh.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I can't picture Burt Reynolds and Shirley MacLaine getting it on.

I know Sly Stallone was supposed to be in Beverley Hills Cop, but did he drop out because of a scheduling conflict or did he decide against it?

BTW, Ghost, was one of the other films that Molly Ringwald is said to've turned down.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
Mel Gibson was supposed to be in Gladiator but Russel Crowe got it instead.
Keanu Reeves turned down Charlie Scheens roll in Platoon.
Cary Grant turned down the James Bond role.

I cannot say that these people regret what they did but I would, especially the James Bond role.

Semper Fooey
There is no quote from him regretting it, but the all time biggest mistake for a career was George Raft turning down The Maltese Falcon. Because of that movie Bogart was cast for Casablanca, which Raft actually wanted, trying to bypass Hal Wallis who was through with him because he had turned down so many roles, by making his case directly with studio head Jack Warner. But Wallis, in charge of studio production, who was personally producing it under a new contract and selected Casablanca to be his producing debut, dismissed Raft in a memo to Warner and emphasized the role of Rick was being written for Bogart. If Raft had done Falcon it increased the likelihood he would have been cast as Rick in Casablanca. Certainly Bogart would not have been cast because without MF he would not have become an A list star. Ironically, Bogart only did Casablanca reluctantly, thinking it was just a formula picture of no importance. Raft's career crashed, he left Warner Brothers not long after, and free lanced in movies of no importance. By the early fifties he was broke and finding it difficult to find parts. When he did they were supporting roles and again playing gangsters, which he had tried so hard to avoid after he had become a star. Raft also turned down Double Indemnity, but he wasn't unique there, practically every actor in Hollywood turned that down. I think he was wrong for it anyway. Raft and Stanwyck seems like a weird match-up.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
In terms of $$$ the absolute number 1 has to be the part of Neo in the Matrix. I heard there were a few big names that turned it down, like Brad Pitt.

Keanu Reeves made around £230 million(350$ million approx) from the Matrix trilogy.