Woman as Enemy and the Importance of Feminism.

Tools    

I've been a self-proclaimed feminist for a long time. And I've been looking for film books on feminist film theory. In film, I feel that female roles in society have been seen as potential threats to male society, rather than the treatment of them as fellow sisters to the progression of our human race. From the earliest outsets, even from female directors such as Alice Guy in The Consequences of Feminism (1906), feminism and strong female roles were a threat to society. This was later expanded in film noir with the femme fatale, (women in the workplace), and giant women in the 50's Attack of the 50 foot woman/The Incredible Shrinking Man. Somehow women have been seen as a threat to the patriarch of the world. Even today, I feel when male directors throw women a "strong role" it is a role which is by its nature a masculine role rather than a strong feminine role, (and these roles do exist). Many female directors, such as Kathryn Bigelow and Mary Lambert, stress that they try to avoid "female expression" because it puts restrictions on the type of films females are allowed to make. Does this not hold the female artist hostage? I am always impressed by female film makers who make films about strong feminine characters, it seems refreshing from the otherwise male-centric roles in which both men and women are supposed to play. Film makers such as Peggy Ahwesh, Maya Deren, Marie Menken, Catherine Breillat, these women have trail brazed strong feminine roles in film, whether on screen or behind the camera. Ultimately, I would like to study more on this subject, and hope to contribute to it even more. Any recommended sources for feminist film theory and feminist directors would be even more appreciative. Share you're thoughts on the subject if you like.
Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
In La Femme Nikita, there is a great scene of tutelage between the young female assassin and the elderly Jeanne Moreau.

Also, Jackie Brown and Gloria (the original, not the crappy Sharon Stone remake) also have good solid female characters.

A system of cells interlinked
Joss Whedon is a feminist. The entire Buffy The Vampire Slayer series is about the empowering of women...

Antichrist and Dogville may interest you, if you haven't already seen them.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

Joss Whedon is a feminist. The entire Buffy The Vampire Slayer series is about the empowering of women...
Aye, though Whedon is a good example of the exact opposite: feminism that is so strong it actually overrides and harms the narrative at times, because when faced with the choice between telling the story and making a point about woman, he opts for the latter.

Anyway, it may sound obvious by Penny Marshall is worth looking at. She's made quite a few films that examine issues of feminism; A League of Their Own, for one, and Big, which deals with a lot of the same themes, though from the perspective of a young boy.

Most of the women mentioned I've vested in myself. Even Kenji Mizoguchi is seen as a feminist director. However, what I should have stressed is feminist film theory articles and literature that shed more light on this topic. I'm interested on being behind the front lines as well as in front of it.