Vintage Amazon River Movie Shooting Caimans Piranhas! But What is it??!!

Tools    

Got me stumped. Ok, to describe it!
An old film I saw as a kid in the 80's on tele, would have been during the day. Think it was monochrome but perhaps Technicolor (30's? 50's?). Features a wild Amazon river ride seemingly really shooting at hundreds of caimans that attack [old movie speak for 'dare to bask on bank near'] a raft/canoe that some blokes ride downstream. Think some piranhas eat a cow perhaps too? Amazonian 'Indians'? No famous actors/actresses from memory, may even have been semi doco style. Definitely did not have that 'no animals were hurt' disclaimer. Prob some humans hurt too. Loved it. Warped me for life and made a real let down out of the classic Amazon films filmed on poxy sound stages etc. This was the real deal, no bimbos from memory just a great boys own adventure, killing and gratuitous risks for no real point other than survival and adrenalin. Thinking of cliches like "Amazon Adventure" "River of Death" etc but it's not one of those classics.
Strangely, my dad has an old book about some blokes making a film in the jungle; this could be the film but I don't have the book at hand. I do remember that in the book the author is nearly killed by a python and they caught some pics of it in action - probably a set up but looked convincing for it's age!

Also chasing old documentary footage of piranhas eating a cow too if anyone can help! Cow goes in, water foams, bones/bits come up. It appeared real.

Off to reload ammo now and oil the guns then a Cuban cigar.

Any help appreciated!

Semper Fooey
Do you remember what the story was about?

If it really was shot on location it is probably after WWII because it was extremely rare for them to shoot on location before that especially if it was a major studio film.

Another possibility it was a studio shot film, but they used documentary footage.

I'll look around, but there are a lot of low budget jungle movies. That doesn't sound like a classic.

Cheers Will, I think it was definately filmed on location, and the more I think about it, semi-doco style perhaps. Maybe like "Alby Mangels World Safari" style. Sort of like doco stuff put together to make a film. The river scene is most memorable; literally hundreds of attacking [terrified] crocs being shot at.
Breaking news!
The book is called: Franz Eichhorn "The lost World of the Amazon" (you were right, 1955); pretty sure it's the story behind the filming. The film may be "green hell of the Amazon" or similar?

It could perhaps be "River of Evil" or "Und der Amazonas schweigt"? But this is '63, seems later than I had thought and does have bimbos etc. As a young bloke, still averse to 'girl germs' I may have not noticed this! Still can't find any clips from it though.

Yep think this is it. Much later than I thought, but I think still B&W. Anyone got any links to clips etc? Seems he combined doco style footage with a quite corny storyline. Love it. Best way to pay for a jungle holiday and claim your cameras back on tax?

Cheers!

Dave

Semper Fooey
Saturn may not have thought so, but Davros in his last post thought he found his own movie, so why shouldn't we?

Thanks Saturn anyway, looks like a good flick all the same!
Pity can't find a torrent for River of Evil. Any pointers let me know. Starting to think it might not be a popular film these days. Who would have thought!?