Flesh for Frankenstein (or Andy Warhol's Frankenstein) Warning: some graphic content

→ in
Tools    

FLESH FOR FRANKENSTEIN

DIRECTOR: PAUL MORRISSEY
STARRING: JOE DALLESSANDRO, UDO KIER AND MONIQUE VAN VOOREN

Upon watching this film I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of care and effort put into this adaptation of Mary Shelley's seminal novel, as well as the aesthetic quality of the film. The previous collaborations between Paul Morrissey and Andy Warhol (most notably the 'Trash Trilogy') have been on the other end of the spectrum, rather being anti-aesthetic, and although these films worked well, the unexpected deviation from this method in 'Flesh for Frankenstein' is a welcome one. What makes the visuals in this film unprecedented was not only the short time it was shot in and the low budget it was shot on ($450,000).

The film itself opens with a continuous shot of the 'Frankenstein children' playing out an operation on a doll, in much the same way that their father, Baron Frankenstein (Udo Kier) does later in the film. This morbid, yet somehow light-hearted, opening shot sets the tone for the rest of the movie. The cinematography that follows is excellently done, and shot in such a way that it allows the mood of the film to be built upon, just as any good shot in any film should do. With aspects of both horror and comedy, this film is not to be confused with today's breed of the horror/comedy, the jokes in this film are done in such a way that they do not detract from the film itself, or slow down the pacing of the film.

The plot of the film
of itself is not an original concept it is the traditional 'Frankenstein' story but with a slight flair rather than trying to build a 'perfect man' Baron Frankenstein is building an 'Adam and Eve', in order to breed them to create a race of super-humans.

All in all the film is well acted, well directed and well written, the costumes and sets are certainly pleasing to the eye, the only thing that is distracting and causes any breaks to the films mood is the special effects. However, this is not an over all problem, it is only in particular parts of the makeup (where the stitching on the 'zombies' comes away from the skin) and is nothing to worry about, it is just noticeable in places. Even though some of the effects are questionable the films soundtrack makes up for it tenfold, one of the most impressive scores I have heard in years and worth seeing for this alone.

Overall 'Flesh for Frankenstein' is a great way to revisit the golden age of '70's exploitation and not take a risk on a movie that may be awful. I personally loved the film, to the extent that it may just be my new favorite adaptation of 'Frankenstein' and if you ever get the chance it is definitely one to check out.

**** (4 stars)

Nathaniel M.

I'm surprised someone has seen this here, but if you liked this try Blood For Dracula. Both of these films have, aside from wonderful cheese, a lot of social commentary that's fun to recognize, but since it's Warhol it's far less blatant. What is the Trash Trilogy like?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I saw Warhol's Frankenstein and Dracula at the theatre in the '70s and didn't think much of them. Frankenstin was originally released in 3-D but the version I saw was 2-D. However, I still own a copy of this film on VHS so I may check it out and rent a DVD of it if it seems worthy enough to watch again in widescreen. I have to admit that I don't really remember much about the direction or photography but what would you expect after so long a time?

Saw Flesh for Frankenstein and Blood for Dracula as a double in the 70's unlike Mark I liked them

I took a new Boyfriend to see them, I told him I loved them (second time for me) he thought they were disgusting and wouldn't go out with me again

Also own then

I took a new Boyfriend to see them, I told him I loved them (second time for me) he thought they were disgusting and wouldn't go out with me again
It wasn't meant to be...
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Semper Fooey
Saw Flesh for Frankenstein and Blood for Dracula as a double in the 70's unlike Mark I liked them

Also own then
I thought Nebbit was in her thirties or something, but now I see from her profile she is a few years older than me!

My sister raved about the Frankenstein, which I still haven't seen so I went to see the Dracula which came out a little bit later. It starts brilliantly, but then turns into a very tedious sex comedy. Not a complete dud, but I can't think of another movie that started so well and delivered so little.

I've known about Flesh for Frankenstein and Blood For Dracula for years but never got round to checking them out. They certainly look like my cup of tea (Udo Kier, campiness, black humour, OTT gore and nudity) so I'll probably stream them in the coming weeks. Thanks for the review Nathaniel_Mc

I'm surprised someone has seen this here, but if you liked this try Blood For Dracula. Both of these films have, aside from wonderful cheese, a lot of social commentary that's fun to recognize, but since it's Warhol it's far less blatant. What is the Trash Trilogy like?
Thanks for the recommendation but I have actually seen 'Blood for Dracula' and I actually just posted a review for it. As for the trash trilogy I will post a review when I get the opportunity. Thanks