Cast Away

→ in
Tools    

Didn't see it.
I saw this one today. It was very good, but not what I expected. I thought it would be more about after the island than on the island. The name fooled me. If it had been "Castaway," I would have expected most of the movie to be about the island, hence castaway. Since it was "Cast Away," I thought thought it would be more about how everybody had written him off and what it was like to come back home when everybody thinks you are dead.

All of that said, Tom Hanks was excellent. Helen Hunt was very good also, although the movie was mostly a one-man show. It was weird seeing Helen Hunt in two first-run movies on the same day. I also saw What Women Want today.

Anyhow, go see it. It's good.

Didn't see it.
Oops. I forgot there was already a Cast Away thread. Are you supposed to start a new thread for reviews after you've seen it? You would think a moderator would know the answer to this one.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I would assume the actual review of the movie would be in this thread, because the other thread I started was just about what the movie was going to be about.

That post was for what happened before you saw the movie.
This post is for after you've seen it.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
Right on all points folks -- the previous thread is under "Sequels/New Releases", so there pre-view discussion, info you've got PRIOR to seeing it (so, no spoiler postings should be there) should be in that thread.

This is the Movie Reviews thread which should indeed have some sort of review/description of how it was (which you did) and responses from people. It's kind of that anyway, so it's not like you broke the rules or anything.

you're under arrest sir, for violating forum protocol.

Well, to be honest, it was a pretty good movie but I was disappointed by the "FOUR YEARS LATER" line. It seems like a lot could have happened in four years that they just skipped over. I am not suggesting that they should've made the movie longer, but to space out the sequencing on the island so that they don't spend an hour showing his first week and then skip to four years later.

I would also say that if you're looking to go to a midnight movie, skip this one. It was kinda long.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Ok, I saw this movie yesterday and I have to say it was a great movie. Although the F'in movie theater messed up the movie in the last like 10 minutes. It ruined the mood. At first I actually thought it was supposed to be him talking but no picture. I saw the ending with pictures too, but I actualling think it was better with just audio.

Great movie! Great Acting!

I saw the movie in Hawaii. After seeing it, I wasn't eager to go back in the ocean or fly again....but i did.

I had to cover my eyes during the many scenes where he got injured. The movie was also a little too long. Overall it was ok, nothing great. I like Tom Hanks a lot though.

I just saw it and it was an excellent movie!

Tom Hanks was brilliant and I really liked most of the scenes...there were some long sequences but it enhanced the mood.

I thought it would be a lot more boring, so now for the best movie of 2000 it's a tie with Gladiator (my 1st choice) but as we are in 2001 Cast Away is my best movie of 2001!

Cheers!

********** SPOILER AHEAD *******************

hehe I heard it on TV about an hour ago...imagine!

But does this means that they found Wilson?

Cheers!
[Edited by Flywaver on 01-03-2001]

Done...wasn't sure if it was worth it.

I really like Cast Away, and thought Hanks was excellent. I could see him getting another Oscar, as he had to virtually carry 2/3 of the film on his own. I didn't like some of Zemekis's work though, particularly the "Fedex package POV" which was jarring and annoying. Also, the "4 Year Later" title card was extremely disconcerting. I would've like to have seen what happened in those 4 years! :-)

The absolute worst part of the film was Helen Hunt's TERRIBLE southern accent. It came and went, often may times in the same scene. Why even bother? And her main way of showing her character was from Memphis was leaving off the "g" as in "Let me show you somthin'". Blech! She's like Meryl Streep lite.

I agree, the movie could have been a bit longer even if some thought it was long.

Cheers!

I'd have to agree - I wanted more of him on the island! That's the reason I came...the movie was very good, but I would've liked to see him evolve into what he became a bit more.

Didn't have to see the entire four years...but a quick montage fading in and out from a few months to the next few months - it wouldn't have taken too long...

Watching ‘Cast Away’ is like watching two and a half hours of south pacific scenery footage with only Tom Hanks’s marvelous performance to remind me that I was viewing a piece of narrative entertainment. Hanks’s acting is brilliant which is possibly the only credible part of the film. ‘Cast Away’ reunites director Robert Zemeckis (Back To The Future, What Lies Beneath) and actor Tom Hanks (Philadelphia, Saving Private Ryan) in their second collaboration since the classic ‘Forrest Gump’ (1994).

After a quick view into Chuck Noland (Hanks)’s everyday life as a Federal Express manager obsessed with time management and Elvis Presley, we see Chuck biding farewell to his fiancée Kelly Frears, played by Helen Hunt (Twister, As Good As It Gets) by the FedEx plane on Christmas Eve, promising he will return before New Year. The plane then crashes and Chuck conveniently inflates a raft and drifts overnight to a tropical island. Holding fast to the watch with Kelly’s photo in it as the constant reminder of home, Chuck begins his four years’ isolation with only a volleyball as his companion. Chuck eventually escapes the island and returns home to find life has moved on without him.

In some of the scenes of this movie, I was struck by the feeling of ‘paying to see a feature length commercial’ on a big screen because the running hours of ‘Cast Away’ do not reflect its simplistic plot. The story could be told in a 45 second television commercial spot, or moreover, in its trailer. We are unable to escape the FedEx logo or the image that everyone in the company is in this a big happy, caring family. In view that Noland’s desperate situation was a result of his employment, it is hard to imagine anyone in his shoes would still uphold the ethics of FedEx. But Chuck soon reacts as he should when he decides to open the washed up parcels to aid his survival. Subconscious advertising may be unavoidable in film today, but the FedEx signage and Chuck’s Wilson volleyball, crudely named ‘Wilson’, make corporate branding a major issue in this movie. This blatant advertising is in bad taste and not a positive contribution to what should have been a solid film, despite its weak narrative.

The castaway on the island is clearly the only worthwhile section of the film and deserves a special mention. Noland’s struggle to adapt to island life is colourfully documented, evolving from an accident-prone urban victim to a fully fledge ‘Survivor’ finalist. It is difficult to empathise with Noland in his early survival attempts because the images is of a comic rather than a tragic nature, in particular, the scene where Noland desperately tries to break the coconut. I can’t help but think that Noland’s misfortunes could have been prevented if he had watched key episodes of MacGyver as in-flight entertainment! Hanks’s admirable performance, however, is what really makes this film and his relationship with Wilson is by far the most thoughtful aspect of the film. Although the inanimate Wilson is non-interactive, Hanks manages to breathe life into the volleyball as a character in the film and deliver the only dialogue in what might have been a silent picture. This being the perfect opportunity for Hanks to show off his impressive acting skills and I was deeply moved by his performance in Wilson’s poignant exiting scene.

The island is portrayed as just another location in the film and the setting is too picturesque to show any character. The element which I think is left unexplored in the film, is the notion of the island being Noland’s jailer. Given the fact that Wilson has his own character, it was a shame to see the island appearing no more alive than a Club Med video.

In conclusion, ‘Cast Away’ is disappointing due to its inability to surprise, but with the terrific performance by Hanks, it does become a well watchable picture. Despite criticisms that Hanks always chooses to play ‘Joe Public’ characters put in extraordinary situations, he clearly is uncompromising and excels at what he does best. This is more than I can say for Zemeckis, who, at least for now, should also stick to what he does best: directing lighter entertainment.

I just found out that a small part of Cast Away was filmed relatively the town where I grew up in the Texas Panhandle. The Arrington Ranch in Canadian, Texas is apparently in the film toward the end (haven't seen the movie, so I couldn't tell you where in the film).

**Spoiler**

I just watched this movie last night and I loved it. I thought Tom Hanks was great. I also agree with FL Tiger about the "4 Years later" thing. It seemed a bit much. I wouldn't have minded the movie being a bit longer, if it would have told us a little more about what went on in those 4 years. I really wondered in the end which road he would have chosen. I prefer to think that he chose the road with the pretty woman with the "wings" fetish..lol. I don't know..I just wanted to think that he started a new life, since his old life had been basically "Cast Away"
[Edited by Raven on 07-01-2001]

A couple spoilers ahead, I think...

I thought this picture was overrated. It was entertaining, yes, but the ending didn't push you over the edge like it should have. I think it should have ended with the shot of him lying on his raft with the boat next to him. I mean, the third act isn't what it should have been...it feels like a Hollywood director trying to play indie.

The scenes on the island were good, Hanks was good (not GREAT), Wilson was retarded (I'm sorry but I just don't see how that means something. it's just a device used by the screenplay so Hanks doesn't have to play the role silent, which would have been a HELL of a challenge.) I also thought the photography was pretty unspectacular. (If you want photography that REALLY makes man look as insignificant as he is, rent Picnic at Hanging Rock or Walkabout). All in all though, I didn't have a problem with the scenes where Tom is all alone. But what bookends the island scenes is just your average, hollywood drivel.

Oh, by the way, (and this is just me), but he should have opened all of the packages. There may have been a cell phone in that one he didn't open .

And was there any more obvious product placement last year, than FedEx?