The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011)

Tools    

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011) David Fincher

An international red band teaser trailer was leaked last week and an official green band teaser trailer was released this week.

Watch the trailers here

I have read the book but have not seen the Swedish film (been meaning to for some time now). I really enjoyed the read, so excitingly enough - this trailer, wow, bad. ass. Super hot Rooney and a Trent Reznor cover of Immigrant Song. Definitely looking forward to this one.

I think this should be a nice follow up to The Social Network for Fincher, I am glad to see him getting back to this type of movie making.

The Swedish film was quite good. The two that followed were a little more lower budget and basically made for TV, but were OK. I'm not sure how I feel about this right now. Gonna go and check out the trailer.

EDIT: Looks alright. First glimpse sort of looks like a pretty close re-telling of the original. As long as it doesn't get a stupid PG-13 rating (and judging by that trailer it very well might) that is trying to attract the kids then I might watch it.

Did you watch the redband? There was some blood and nudity in it. The international poster has Rooney's nipples showing (kinda). Hopefully it stays away from PG-13.

edit: If a redband trailer is made, doesn't that pretty much mean that it will be rated R?

Oh does it? I'm not really familiar with the differences in red band/non red band trailers. Well, good. Because the original had a fair share of nudity too. I don't think those crazy Swedes have ever made a flick without it actually.

I absolutely loved the Red Band trailer when saw a pirate of it. Mainly listened to it so, if nothing else, the soundtrack should be superb as long as Reznor doesn't follow TSN too closely

Never been big for the goth thing but I find Rooney very attractive so she is still quite appealing here. Gonna check the trailer in a sec, but I do admire the Swedish original quite a bit, even though I never read any of the books. As much as I like Rooney though, she's got quite a task ahead of her as Noomi Rapace's performance is pretty much legendary.

I love the original Swedish films and will be avoiding this one like the plague - Fincher or no Fincher.

Oh and whoever that girl is in the picture she's got nothing on the drop-dead gorgeous Noomi Rapace.

The red band trailer is remarkable, one of the best trailers I have seen in a long time, the cover version of Immigrant Song by Reznor/Karen O is just stunning and helped that trailer along immensely.

I am a big fan of the books, really enjoyed the original film trilogy and look forwards to Fincher's version of the book, from the trailers, Fincher has definitely put more flashback/past sequences into the new film.

I have faith in Fincher, his kind of style. Even though I'm not too keen on Rooney Mara as an actress, will wait and see what she can pull out of the bag but I don't think she will BE Lisbeth like the exceptional Noomi Rapace.

Also, very very happy to see Fincher has brought in Trent Reznor again to do the music, his score music for The Social Network was impressive.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is one of my most anticipated films of 2011.

The trailers are pretty darn cool if I do say so myself. I think the soundtrack is what adds to it though.

I have some concerns, however. Going by the snippets we've seen from the trailer, it would appear to be a frame for frame remake of the original, which would be very weird and pointless to say the least considering it came out like a year ago. I really hope that's just misdirection. If this film is to succeed at least on a critical level then Fincher HAS to do something distinctive with this. He needs to take liberties with the story and shake up the plotting a bit. The thriller is HIS stomping ground so he should be able to do something good here. Also, Rooney Mara has to make Lisbeth her own, which I am confident she can do.

Lisbeth is probably the main attraction and she's got quite a bit going against her right now (Noomi Rapace's performance being both very recent AND flawless. Mara has to instead be different while maintaining what makes the character so interesting. I think presenting Rooney's Salander as even darker (if that's even possible) and less sympathetic than Rapace's could make things even more interesting. I think making her more anti-heroic and blurring that li would be a good way to go for her.

I'm VERY interested to see what Fincher and Mara can do here, and confident it won't be bad as long as it's not a shot for shot remake.

Also Fis, I definitely think it will be rated 18 (or R in your cast). Spcially considering the tagline says 'The Feel Bad Movie Of Christmas' it HAS to be violent, disturbing and vicious after that tagline.

^ They have changed the ending I believe, they have changed something big in it compared to the original film. Can't quite remember what I heard. Definitely not a shot for shot remake.

And the original film was an 18 here in Britain, the remake looks like it has more violence in and I assume it will have the graphic
WARNING: spoilers below
rape
and the sexualised violence(this usually gets an 18).

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
I was wondering if anyone new when they were going to release the unedited Swedish version, I was told the originals were all like 3 hours long when they came on as the TV Mini Series. And I agree that Rooney has nothing on Noomi.
I really hope the remake is good, and I think Christopher Plummer is the perfect choice to play Henrik Vanger

^ Ah yes, I nearly forgot that was happening. The extended versions of the films are out in places like Norway/Sweden already but with no English subtitles.

It's suppose to be a September release for Britain, so assume America will be around that time too.

And I agree that Rooney has nothing on Noomi.
We don't know how good Rooney is going to be. I get that Rooney has a LOT to live up to but for all we know she could be as good as Noomi. Only time will tell.

Anybody hear about the controversial new poster? Apparently it's been banned in a few countries already. I don't even think that I am allowed to post it but lets just say that it is very revealing.

For those of you who aren't too prudish, here's a link to it.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/06/0...o-nude-poster/