Dylan Dog: Dead Of Night

Adapted from the best-selling international comic book series (created by Tiziano Sclavi), Dylan Dog: Dead of Night follows private eye of the paranormal (Brandon Routh) who takes on a case that turns out to be a lot bigger and more dangerous than it at first appears.

Hired by the beautiful heiress Elizabeth (Anita Briem) to find a missing artifact taken from her slain father’s home, Dylan and his sidekick Marcus (Sam Huntington) uncover netherworld connections to the murder. In Dylan Dog’s realm — the action has been relocated from the comics’ Europe to New Orleans — vampires, werewolves and zombies hide in plain sight among us.

The case makes Dylan cross paths with past foes and acquaintances — including Taye Diggs as a vampire gangster and Peter Stormare and Kurt Angle as father-son werewolves — and leads to a new (after)life for his pal Marcus.

While it has its charms — due mostly to the chemistry between Routh and Huntington — Dylan Dog: Dead of Night ultimately plays like a lesser episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. In fact, if Dylan Dog were a TV pilot then I might tune in the following week for the next episode. But as a feature film, it’s too small and forgettable a piece of genre fare.

The film’s obvious budgetary constraints add to the overall small-scale feel of the movie. The makeup and special effects are inconsistent in their quality, ranging from the acceptable to the level of a student film. The finale, featuring a demonic creature, is painfully cheap and cheesy-looking, but the practical creature suit worn by performer Brian Steele as a giant zombie is pretty sweet.

I was very excited to see Routh back on the screen again after his disappointing attempt as Superman. That being said, unless this becomes a cult classic, this movie will fade away in to DVD rental hell. I am afraid that this movie fell into the column of great comic book following and crappy movie. Routh should stick to being Justin Long’s partner at high school reunions.