Betty Garrett, RIP

Tools    

Semper Fooey

Betty Garrett of 'On the Town' fame dies at 91

Get more: Celebrity Deaths
Posted 02/12/2011 3:43 PM by Olivia Allin
Actress Betty Garrett, who starred in the musical film "On the Town" alongside Gene Kelly and Frank Sinatra, died on Friday evening at the age of 91.

Garrett's son Garrett Parks confirmed to KABC that the actress died at UCLA Medical Center in Westwood, California with her family by her side.
Garrett was a sunny singer, dancer and comic actress who starred in the TV shows like "Laverne and Shirley" as Edna Babish and "All in the Family" as Irene Lorenzo. Her best known films were "On the Town," "Take Me Out to the Ball Game," "My Siter Eileen" (pictured above with Jack Lemmon) and "Neptune's Daughter." Garrett often contributed to the soundtracks of her films as well.
Garrett's husband, actor Larry Parks was nominated for an Oscar for his role in the 1946 film, "The Jolson Story." Parks and Garrett were involved in the Communist scare in the 1950s and Parks made the Hollywood Blacklist.
Garrett received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in May, 2003. The actress is Oscar-winner Jeff Bridge's godmother.
Garrett is survived by her sons, composer Garrett Parks and actor Andrew Parks

Put me in your pocket...
This is the first I've heard of Betty's death. Thanks for making a tribute thread to her Will.

I loved her in Take Me Out to the Ball Game, On The Town ( I loved her with a skinny Frank Sinatra) and in My Sister Eileen as well. I also remember her stint on Laverne and Shirley. It's funny that back then, as a youngin', I didn't know who she was...and how great it was to finally see her dancing and singing with Gene Kelly and Frank Sinatra. I also thought it was pretty cool that once I finally saw My Sister Eileen how similar in concept it was to Laverne and Shirley...or should I say it was neat that L&S borrowed from "Eileen". It brought Betty to a the attention of a new generation back then.

I've seen iNeptune's Daughter before...but with Esther Williams, Red Skelton and a young, handsome Ricardo Montalban starring...I'm ashamed to say that I forgot Betty was in it. I'll make a mental note to watch out for iNeptune's Daughter next time it's on so I can see Betty again.

RIP Betty. You were and still are a pleasure to watch.