17 mins. of cut footage from 2001: A Space Odyssey uncovered!

Tools    

WB Uncovers Lost Footage From Kubrick's '2001: A Space Odyssey'

Intriguing to say the least.

Originally Posted by (emphasis mine)
Kubrick reportedly cut the footage from "2001" because he felt it created pacing issues. The footage includes 1) some additional footage of the "Dawn of Man" sequence, 2) a scene in which Dave Bowman (Keir Dullea) searched for a replacement antenna part in storage, 3) a scene where HAL severs radio communication between the "Discovery" and Frank Poole's (Gary Lockwood) pod, 4) as well as shots of Poole's space walk before he is killed.
I think I'm most interested in seeing what Kubrick cut out from the "Dawn of Man" sequence. The other scenes described seem relatively marginal and inconsequential; good riddance, probably!

New "star gate" scenes would've been awesome beyond words.

I'm also aware of some extra scenes shot on the space station wheel showing more of the life on board. For example, there was a scene with some children painting on canvases (below). The article doesn't mention these scenes, but they were in fact shot at one point.

So the most boring film in the world becomes 17 minutes longer.

This is pretty awesome, can't wait for a 2001 redux

they better put it back in theaters so I don't feel deprived of the only way to view this
It'll turn up online in no time, I foresee.

Having someone just cut them into the film for either a theatrical or DVD/Blu-ray re-release is a little disconcerting I have to say, thinking of it from Kubrick's standpoint. Don't get me wrong, if that's the way it goes I'll still be seeing it even with these minor reservations.

There's always room for two versions, I suppose.

Semper Fooey
Trying to refresh my memory I looked up the movie on wikipedia. Apparently they found seventeen of the nineteen minutes that Kubrick cut after the movie was screened to some critics. I know the Los Angeles Times review was from the longer version. The scene Planet News refers to was cut before the longer version was shown to critics,

This is great. I love 2001. Fantastic movie. It's my favorite of Kubrick.

It's amazing how Kubrick predicted the future of technology in Space Odyssey