Raising Hope

Tools    

\m/ Fade To Black \m/

Started watching this recently and I think it has the potential to be great Ive seen the Pilot and the second episode and I am enjoying it are there any fans here?

Raising Hope is an American comedy television series that premiered on Fox on September 21, 2010

A 23-year-old must raise his infant daughter, conceived by a one-night stand, with the help of his flawed family after the baby's mother (who has killed multiple boyfriends) is given a death sentence and executed when the baby is only six months old.

Haunted Heart, Beautiful Dead Soul
i love this show, n3wt!!! almost reminds me of the humor of Raising Arizona!! i just hope its picked up for a whole season.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Im loving it aswell Its very funny and my humor. Ive only seen 2 episodes but im looking forward to seeing the new episode Thursday I have read there has been 9 episodes shown in America and there is 22 episodes in the first series so ive got my fingers crossed for another series. It should be quite succsessfull following Earl but you never now.

Did you notice in the pilot there was a reference to My Name Is Earl? it was on the news before or after I cant remember, but it had the newsreader saying about a guy finishing a list etc, I thought that was pretty cool

The Adventure Starts Here!
I'm bingeing this show currently, at the recommendation of a friend last week. I'm already up to season 4, sadly (almost through). I'm finding the humor consistently quirky and funny, with some clever bits thrown in. This season Dillahunt ("Burt") delivers a line while he's in a sort of delirium: "That's one in a row for you, Wild BIll!" He delivers it in exactly the same way he did when he played Jack McCall in HBO's Deadwood about ten years earlier. I busted out laughing at the fun reference.

Also, a question: It JUST occurred to me this morning that the family's last name is Chance... and Burt is essentially a gardener... And I wonder if they did that on purpose. It feels like a nod to the Peter Sellers movie, Being There. Very quirky humor (like much of Sellers's stuff). Sellers plays the main character, Chance the Gardener, and the name alone becomes the inciting incident for much of the misunderstanding that follows. I looked Raising Hope up on Wikipedia, hoping there would be some clue there as to this reference, but sadly, there is nothing there.

And yet, how can it NOT be on purpose?

I fired up the first two episodes last night. The 23 minute format is not a favorite, but it's true that the writing is fresh and offbeat-- from 11 years ago. It's also wonderful to see the great Cloris Leachman in a quirky role.

I fired up the first two episodes last night. The 23 minute format is not a favorite, but it's true that the writing is fresh and offbeat-- from 11 years ago. It's also wonderful to see the great Cloris Leachman in a quirky role.
was it based on the movie from early 2000s? :/

was it based on the movie from early 2000s? :/
I don't see a movie by that name listed on IMDb. Link?

And, my guess is that NO, it's not. It's a really quirky series, but I loved the whole thing. Cloris Leachman, in particular, was delightful all the way through. And every episode's credits say, "Introducing Cloris Leachman as Maw Maw." Ha! Nice.

[Raising Hope] was it based on the movie from early 2000s? :/
I don't know, Sookie. Couldn't find anything about a prior movie, unless you're thinking of Raising Arizona. Greg Garcia was the creator.

I don't see a movie by that name listed on IMDb. Link?

And, my guess is that NO, it's not. It's a really quirky series, but I loved the whole thing. Cloris Leachman, in particular, was delightful all the way through. And every episode's credits say, "Introducing Cloris Leachman as Maw Maw." Ha! Nice.
nevermind it was raising helen not hope so my bad

Watched the 3rd & 4th eps of the First season. The writing seemed to be getting a bit close to the edge of the cliff. Hope it doesn't fall over.

For those who have seen quite a bit of the show, does the writing pick back up to offbeat rather than silliness?

Watched the 3rd & 4th eps of the First season. The writing seemed to be getting a bit close to the edge of the cliff. Hope it doesn't fall over.

For those who have seen quite a bit of the show, does the writing pick back up to offbeat rather than silliness?
I've gotten through the whole series. You'll have to define "offbeat" and "silly."

I enjoyed myself the whole way through, finding Dillahunt and Plimpton to be the main draws. I had little interest in Jimmy's love life or even Sabrina. Their performances were fine, but they weren't the comic draw for me at all. Dillahunt is just delightful in every episode. And along the way there were two separate nods to one of his two roles in Deadwood.

I think the interaction of Burt and Virginia stays strong and offbeat. And, of course, Cloris Leachman as Maw Maw gives a perfect performance in every episode. I started ignoring a lot of the storyline between Jimmy and Sabrina (and Hope) because it wasn't the crux of the humor anymore. But I still binged the entire series in record time.

I've gotten through the whole series. You'll have to define "offbeat" and "silly."

I enjoyed myself the whole way through, finding Dillahunt and Plimpton to be the main draws. I had little interest in Jimmy's love life or even Sabrina. Their performances were fine, but they weren't the comic draw for me at all. Dillahunt is just delightful in every episode. And along the way there were two separate nods to one of his two roles in Deadwood.

I think the interaction of Burt and Virginia stays strong and offbeat. And, of course, Cloris Leachman as Maw Maw gives a perfect performance in every episode. I started ignoring a lot of the storyline between Jimmy and Sabrina (and Hope) because it wasn't the crux of the humor anymore. But I still binged the entire series in record time.
Thanks, bro. Makes sense.