Blue Valentine - Why the NC-17 rating?

Tools    

Weinstein is challenging the rating and it's very possible the film will ultimately earn an "R". I'm just confused as to how this rating came about when there's not even nudity in the film...? Plenty of other films depict rape, incest and graphic murder, but still receive only an R rating. Two that come to mind off the bat, Precious and Hostel.

All that aside, the film looks great. Really dig that song Ryan Gosling sings in the trailer.

If you watch Kirby Dick's 2006 exposé documentary This Film is Not Yet Rated you'll get numerous examples of how inconsistent and arbitrary the MPAA's ratings of films are, including those with scenes of strikingly similar content in the same or different eras that somehow receive completely different ratings. Under the rules, a studio of filmmaker cannot even present those similar or more graphic scenes with lesser ratings in the appeal process.

It's not a new story.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Kirby Dick's 2006 exposé documentary This Film is Not Yet Rated
Think I'm gonna have to watch this in the near future and I get double points for downloading it, the MPAA loves that.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Rated R on appeal. IMDb likes to put the original rating with the title. That's why Midnight Cowboy and Friday the 13th are listed as X.