Remake of "The Magnificent Seven" - it's about time!

Tools    

Always Falls For Jedi Mind Trick
It's about time the Magnificent Seven was re-made!

I love the concept of a group of rogues who are grossly outnumbered overcoming the odds and winning the day. The original still holds up as a decent movie. Watched it with my kids (ages 8-11) the other day and despite the absence of bodily function humor, special fx and talking animals, they really liked it!

But it's been fifty years (!) since the original came out and no one's tried to re-do it. I say it's about time someone did!

Who would you cast as the Seven and as the villain Calvera?

The Magnificent Seven was a remake of Seven Samurai.

NO WAY ARE U SRS yeah man it was
What? Could you put that in plain English for an old guy that doesn't text much?

I was just foreshadowing, figured I'd get that conversation over with...
Well, I wouldn't want to see a remake of either one -- I'm afraid it would be awful. Japanese samurai movie or western.

In my opinion, most remakes are awful.

Mag Seven is pointless to begin with.

Someone started a thread saying Arnold & Stallone expanded the action genre more than Bronson & McQueen..

So does that mean if they make a new Mag-7 movie, Arnold & Stallone will be in it?
Ohh wait!! maybe they'll set it in the modern day. Instead of cowboys, they could be Mercenaries.

Maybe call it something like....

THE EXPENDABLES!

It's best if some movies are left in the past untouched.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
That thread is basically about semantics. There is no "right" or wrong" answer, but I think people should stick to their guns about their opinions. My problem is that I don't seem to have an opinion because it's a vague topic and/or I have nothing to say about it. We can certainly start a McQueen/Marvin/Bronson/Coburn thread but that would probably also have to allow others in.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
There must be a remake out there that is better than the original. Can someone post one? I'll try to find one also.
Heat is my stock answer.

ive posted this somewhere else...but for your benefit puma...I warn you, the delivery of the lines are pretty brutal when compared to de niro and pacino's handling of the material.

&feature=related

>most remakes are awful

Seems that way. I made the "mistake" of watching A Story of Floating Weeds AFTER Floating Weeds, and it instantly struck me as better. I think it might have been the musical score (which has no strict connection to the film... it coulda been anything). ASoFW brought me close to tears where FW just didn't at all. Or maybe 'cause I just watched it, so I felt it even more the second time.

Regardless, I'd have a hard time saying that FW is better than the original even though it seems obviously better, and is probably Ozu's most successful film. There's just "something about" the original that gets to me. The cinematography is way different in it, and of course there is no offset color scheme. Dunno if Ozu just works better in B&W?

Dunno if remakes never work as good as the originals since they are "taken away" from the time when they were first made. They loose their fundamental context in a way.

I kinda like the 76' Kong version with Jeff Bridges and Jessica Lange.

I'm partial to the Cape Fear remake as well. Which isn't to say the original is a bad movie by any stretch of the imagination.

^ Oh sh-

That movie was awesome. Yeah... I'd easily say it is better. I mean c'mon!