Machete

→ in
Tools    

Machete2010

Cast: Danny Trejo, Jessica Alba, Robert de Niro, Steven Seagal, Michelle Rodriquez, Jeff Fahey.
Director/Writer: Robert Rodriquez.

I've been waiting for this movie since i heard the fake trailer would become a feature length movie. I saw it yesterday after a 2 year waiting time and the feeling is glorious to know the waiting time was well worth it.

Its non stop ultra violence. Danny Trejo in his first lead roll was born to play machete. He looks and is violent and raw and with a machete in his hand you dont want to **** with this Mexican.

The story isnt that deep but the gore violence and chicks make up for it; bigtime.

Alot of people probably watch this movie to see Jessica alba & Michelle Rodriquez and i cant blaim them but the whole picture is just a perfect action movie. The cast is great and all the actors fit their roll.
Thumbs up Robert Rodriquez.

for me

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds

It's fun in places, but overly long and too political in others. Fahey and Johnson are great, as is Trejo, the rest fall to the way side. DeNiro is surprisingly flat here.

Machete is decent, but could have been a lot more fun. It works better as a fake trailer than a feature length film.

Suspect's Reviews

Dumbest and randomest movie ever. No creativity involved in the production.

The plot actually seems quite familiar to another movie which I do not remember the name of o>O

BANNED

The plot actually seems quite familiar to another movie which I do not remember the name of o>O
While I don't agree as intensely as this.

I don't plan on forking out for this movie, I loved it as a fake trailer in a grindhouse flick, I never really cared to see it fleshed out.

Thanks for your review ravr12 and I can appreciate the notion of a personal rating and a more generalist one.

I'm ok with a no plot movie as long as it doesnt try to pass off as one that has a plot... I'm not yet moved to see the movie, from the previews, just seems like I've watched that movie a few times before.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
What were the titles of the other "Machete" movies which you've watched before and why do you think so?

You know, I just thought it was average. If you take it for face value, the film does what it is supposed to do. Violence, nudity, cursing...all the hallmarks of a good popcorn flick. But then you sit there and think how much better it could have been if Rodriguez maybe took a little bit more time adding the grainy effects and other things that made Planet Terror really fun to watch. I loved the cast and a handful of scenes, but that was about it. Just rent it and order pizza one night.

I remember after watching the trailer in the Grindhouse double feature, I got excited because it seemed like Machete would be a really awesome gritty 80's style action movie like Planet Terror. Machete keeps essentially the same style as Planet Terror, but the major difference is that most of the fun you get out Machete are ONLY the quick gruesome kills and the intentional corny dialogue; Planet Terror delivered a lot more amusement for me because underneath the action and intentional cheesiness, it actually had a good zombie story with really interesting characters. In Machete, I had absolutely no sympathy or connection w/any of them; Danny Trejo didn't even have a lot of lines in the movie, you're really just there to watch him to kill the bad guys (and maybe for some immature nudity). I was really looking toward films paying homage to the grindhouse movies, but this was a real disappointment compared to the fun I had in Planet Terror. If you just want to have a good old dumb time w/your friends, you'll have plenty of laughs in this movie. But really, this could have had a lot more intensity and thrills; instead it chose to remain corny from start to finish.

Any truth to the rumor that Alba has a nude scene in this flick?

I really, really need to know.

I laughed pretty much all the way through Machete and give it a well deserved
+. I thought it satirized the US immigration policy perfectly for this type of fare, and De Niro's character was hilarious - come on his political broadcasts were pure comedy gold. Anyone who didn't laugh at the computer graphic of would be immigrants getting zapped by an electric fence must have been drugged before they went in. Sure it's basically just a generic revenge film, and Trejo's sub Charles Bronson routine is completely one note, but that's sort of the point with this exercise. I'll agree it's a little over long, but I was having such a blast I didn't want it to end anyway. It certainly delivers on the action, gore, breasts, and quirky casting. UF approves this movie.

Yes, Alba has a nude scene.. But it was done with CGI.
There are even some pics on the net to prove it.

Machete would make a nice B-movie series.. Like those Sartana & other Spaghetti Western movies..
(Jessica Alba is even named Sartana in the movie..)

Reading few comments above, seems like people were expecting a classic piece of cinema..
Such movies are better viewed as B-movies with better distribution...

I just watched this while I was in Japan on my honeymoon. I have to say it was much better than I expected. Hands down Rodriguez's best work to date. Had that classic Tarrantino feel to it. Absolute classic of that genre. I highly recommend this to anyone that's a fan of this style of movie.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Yes, Alba has a nude scene.. But it was done with CGI.
There are even some pics on the net to prove it.
Yeah, shower scene where she had underwear on. The not only digitally removed the underwear, but they made her skinnier.

You see nothing exciting though.