Buster Keaton's Doughboys. Need help all over again!

Tools    

Supercalifragilisticexpia-lidocious! =)
Hello again, my dear MoFo’s! Well, I haven’t finally decided yet, but PERHAPS this is the last time I request the help of this kind.
Ok, this time it’s Doughboys (1930). This is my third translation of Keaton’s films, and, to tell the truth I liked this movie much less than the previous ones. To my mind it’s neither funny no dramatic. Still, it’s my IMHO. Keaton considered this movie among his best for he could use much of his own war experience in it.
Unfortunately the quality of the rip copy I have leaves much to be desired – that refers both to sound and the picture too. I’ll try to preserve these in my clips without distortion.
Well, so I start.
Part 1 -

1) The paperboys are crying in the beginning: “Extra! Extra! All about the war!” And something else about the army. Is that possible to recognize something more?
2) 1:13. The girl: “Who’ll be the next to …? C’mon, open the bandwagon and ….. recruiting office! Handsome..!” “…, baby!” “I ….. uniform …. C’mon!”
3) 1:40. The girl (Mary): “…, Mr. Styvesant, I hate to keep turning you down this way.” Elmer: “Then why do it?” Mary: “Because… You …. that every girl who works … is dying to… in your car ……”
4) 1:55. Mary: “So please don’t you … me, will you?”
5) 2:05. Mary: “I hate to be …. so rude”
6) 2:17. Elmer: “How about little dinner in …?”
7) 2:55. Elmer. “Gustave?”
Gustave: “Yes, sir?”
El: “….the trouble?”
Gustave: “…..wait for [or from] us”
El: does he say “Discharge it”?
8) 3:22. The young man: “Hurray, hurray, I …….! Hey, I …. to go!”

1) The paperboys are crying in the beginning: “Extra! Extra! All about the war!” And something else about the army. Is that possible to recognize something more? Can't make out anything more than that

2) 1:13. The girl: “Who’ll be the next to fight for their old Uncle Sam? C’mon, open the bandwagon and we'll all get down to the recruiting office! Handsome..!” “Hey baby!” “I can get you a better uniform than that! C’mon!”

3) 1:40. The girl (Mary): "Please, Mr. Styvesant, I hate to keep turning you down this way.” Elmer: “Then why do it?” Mary: “Because you Rolls Royces seem to think that every girl who works in the store is just dying to step in your car and go places . There may be some girls like that but I'm not one of them”

4) 1:55. Mary: “So please don’t asking me, will you? and you won't bother me any more will you”

5) 2:05. Mary: “I hate to be forced into being so rude”

6) 2:17. Elmer: “How about little dinner and a show?”

7) 2:55. Elmer. “Gustave?”
Gustave: “Yes, sir?”
El: “what seems to be the trouble?”
Gustave: “Our chauffeur has gone away from us”
El: “Discharge him” meaning dismiss him or sack him

8) 3:22. The young man: “Hurray, hurray, I've got flat feet! Hey, I don't have to go!”

Well, part two)

1) 0:24. Man: “Who’s your nearest relative?” – did I get it right?
El: “My sister. She lives right round the corner.”
2) 0:38. El: “Saint … hospital”
3) 1:00. All the man’s expatiation. If it’s impossible for you to get the whole phrase too then at least help me to grasp the idea.
4) 1:18. Man: “You’ll get it all right. …. please”
El: “…. a better selection.”
5) 1:46. A military: “C’mon, don’t …..around, get those clothes off.”
6) 1:54. A military: “C’mon, get those clothes off! ….the idea!”
7) From 1:59 and up to the end – sorry it’s over than half a minute. I got not a whole sentence in this final bit.
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE! =)

1) 0:24. Man: “Who’s your nearest relative?” – did I get it right? yes
El: “My sister. She lives right round the corner.” yes thats right

2) 0:38. El: “Saint … hospital” - Rex that soundtrack jumps there, can't get the word

3) 1:00. All the man’s expatiation. If it’s impossible for you to get the whole phrase too then at least help me to grasp the idea.
he deliberately runs all his words together. There might be a standard sentence in here, a disclaimer for joining the army, but unfortunately I've never joined the US Army! I can hear : do you know.. objecting..reasons..disqualifications..acceptance

4) 1:18. Man: “You’ll get it all right. Next door please”
El: “oh a better selection.”

5) 1:46. A military: “C’mon, don’t stall around, get those clothes off.”

6) 1:54. A military: “C’mon, get those clothes off! what's the idea!”

7) From 1:59 and up to the end – sorry it’s over than half a minute. I got not a whole sentence in this final bit.

elmer: you can't..you can't. You should be ashamed of yourself

there's other bits of muttering inbetween

soldier: we are ashamed of ourselves
elmer: let me..now wait a minute!
elmer : I don't want to go!

Thank you Christine for not forgetting me!
Alright, part 3:

Not too distinct it is.

1) 0:01. Sgt. Brophy: “Stay right to the front!” – am I right?
2) 0:20. Sgt: “…. mug. …enemy … will probably… left themselves when look at these……”
3) 0:28. Sgt: “What’s the……? U’re in the army now! Do as you …. And do it quick!”
4) 0:41 Sgt: “That’s all you have to remember for a while!” – did I get him right?
5) 0:43. Sgt: “Now answer the…..! …..to the front so I get a look at you!”
6) 0:50. Sgt: [the name] – what’s it?
7) 0:58. Sgt: [the name] – what’s it?
8) 1:02: Sgt: “What is this - ….. of an army!? Get back in the rank and …!”
9) 1:09. What does a man in the hat say to sergeant? Sgt: “Get back in the rank!” Then the man’s words again.
10) 1:21. Sgt: [the name] – what’s it?
11) 2:02. Sgt: “Don’t you … ya?” The man: “I’m not myself today” (right?) Sgt: “…. your number?”
12) 2:30. El: “I’m junior”. Sgt: “…..”
13) 2:40. Sgt: “Who says you’re one!?” – correct?
14) 2:48. El: “… of my father”
15) 3:00. Sgt: “….out! … your equipment! Alright, c’mon, ……!”
16) 3:15. Sgt: “Alright now, get that stuff and follow…….!”
17) 3:30. It’s sergeant again. Please help me with at least sev. phrases.

1) 0:01. Sgt. Brophy: “Keep your eyes to the front!”

2) 0:20. Sgt: “A fine looking bunch of mugs.Why the enemy will probably laugh themselves to death when look at this outfit!"

3) 0:28. Sgt: “Listen to me you birds. You’re in the army now! Do as you're told and do it quick!”

4) 0:41 Sgt: “That’s all you gotta remember for a while!”

5) 0:43. Sgt: “Now answer me your names and step one pace to the front so I can get a look at you!”

6) 0:50. Sgt: Collins

7) 0:58. Sgt: Abe Collins
8) 1:02: Sgt: “What is this a wholesale house or an army!? Get back in the rank except you!”

9) 1:09.
Man in hat: Say General, anytime you want a suit pressed I'll press it like no one ever pressed..

Sgt: “Get back in the rank!” Then the man’s words again - I don't know what the man says again

10) 1:21. Sgt: Lindenborg

11) 2:02. Sgt: “what's your name? Don't you know who you are?”
The man: “I’m not myself today”
Sgt: “I got your number”
Man:" will you call me sometime" - that made me laugh, and him playing the banjo - the look on the Sargeants face!

12) 2:30. El: “I’m junior”. Sgt: “Well I'll take Senior”

13) 2:40. Sgt: “Who said you was!”

14) 2:48. El: “I'm an associate of my fathers”

15) 3:00. Sgt: “Fall out! Draw your equipment! Alright, c’mon, get down...!”

16) 3:15. Sgt: “Alright now, get that stuff and follow the man in front of you there!”

17) 3:30.
hey who's leading this outfit?
what's this?
come here you! hold it! Halt!
Hey who told you to go up here?
to the rear march!
who started (signed?) just here

It’s sergeant again. Please help me with at least sev. phrases.

Thank you again, Christine! At first I thought it's impossible to recognize about 30% of the dialogues))))

Here comes part 4!

1) 0:03. Sgt: “Alright, ….! Get up, you……C’mon,….your rifle! C’mon, … you mug! C’mon, …..that apple!”
2) 0:24. Sgt: “Put your rifle on the ground and get it next to you! …rifle …. . …!”
3) 0:29. Sgt: “Listen, …, I’m … for you! You ……!”
4) 0:44. Sgt: “Get ya …..in the army. ….uniform…upside down… …..instructions… like soldiers! …..your gun!”
5) 1:11. Sgt: “What are you guys trying to do - … me? …….here! ……………get yourself look like a soldier!”
6) 1:25. Sgt: “Spit it out! Spit it out! ……!
7) 1:28. Officer: “Sergeant Brophy has a way of his own new men” – I hear it this way. Where am I wrong?
8) 1:47. El: “Friends, …the Illinois Springfield …to the Ohio!” and then everything up to the sergeant’s words. In the end of this fragment one of the soldiers says something to Elmer.
9) 2:00. Sgt: “…..that meeting before I …your brains out!”
10) 2:04. Sgt: “Now listen. ….all the instruction(s) here. Well, sergeant. ...hospital. ….parade ground…my rifle too. Left….!”
11) 2:22. Sgt: “….. march!”
12) 2:32 – everything up to the end.
Well, it's not only the look on the sergeant's face - what can u say about the guy 2 metres high and the reaction of sergeant when he looks at him? Oh, it was a great loss for me - not to watch this great number of old comedies before!

1) 0:03. Sgt: “Alright, company fall in! Get up there you ? C’mon, take that rifle! C’mon, fall on in you mugs! Dress up on the man in front of you. C’mon, gimme that apple!”

2) 0:24. Sgt: “Put that rifle on the ground and get it next to you! that rifle around, get it on the!”

3) 0:29. Sgt: “Listen, wiseguy I’m layin' for you! Your life's not gonna be worth a nickel!”

4) 0:44. Sgt: “such a fine cockeyed lookin' army. Every uniform tailored to fit you got 'em on backwards upside down and . After a few instructions I want you to get 'em on, get 'em buttoned up! Get lookin' like soldiers! What you doing with your gun? Where's your gun? Who's got that gun”

5) 1:11. Sgt: “What are you guys trying to do - frighten me? you got a battalion? order here! straighten up! button up those blouses and get yourself looking like soldiers!”

6) 1:25. Sgt: “Spit it out! Spit it out! why ya worm!

7) 1:28. Officer: “Sergeant Brophy has a way of his own with new men”

8) 1:47. El: “For instance you see the er, Illinois Springfield would probably be similar to the Ohio. Now of course round to the Back Bay section round Boston, of course you know that ”
Man: how long since you been in Boston?

9) 2:00. Sgt: “Break up that meeting before I bash your brains out!”

10) 2:04. Sgt: “Now listen. I'll do all the instructing here! Well, sergeant we'll have to give them a little hoof to do. Take them out to parade ground and see what these smart guy will do. Left face!”

11) 2:22. Sgt: “Fall in! march!”

12) 2:32 – the wrong way! come on soldier get up there

Thank you, Christine! You are a real friend!
Part 5… It’s really hard for me to understand Sergeant Brophy…

1) 0:13. El: “Yes. Yes. So I think, I’ll ….”
2) 0:19. Can you help me with the song? Maybe it’s the real and famous one of those times?
3) 0:34. A soldier comes in and they all start to greet each other. What do they say?
4) 0:46. The soldiers hear the sound of a horn and then rush out to the street. Is that possible to recognize at least something of what they say?
5) 1:04. El: “Which? Me alright, but it can’t be you!” – did I get it right?
6) 1:12. El: something like “balloon corpse?”
Mary: “….that!”
7) 1:21. El: “I’m afraid I will too”
Mary: “…..see you!”
El: “I didn’t expect it myself!”
Mary: “But you enlist…..” (grammar – what’s the form of the verb? =)) ) “…. hasn’t started yet”.
El: “I enlisted. I didn’t mean to.”
Mary: “I know. You …..”
8) 1:49. Mary: “And you didn’t use your family interest to ….. in the army”.
9) 2:01. El: “Not a man … in the camp.”
Mary: “The army …. A lot of good already”
El: does he say “With you?”?
Mary: “Well I hasn’t hurt you ……”
10) 2:15. Girls: “Hurry, Mary!”
Mary (to El): ……….
11) 2:37. Officers: “What do you think, Scott?”
“What?”
“I’ve got my transferring ….order. ….…to France tonight”
“Splendid, old man! Congratulations!”
“Thank you”.
12) 3:10. Sgt: “Advance! (2 times) …….! Aw, nothing like it, nothing like it! …….. Get back you mugs, get back. Aw, you look like a lot of fun ….. there. Where’s your bayonet? Why you stupid….. pick it up, pick it up and get it on ……… …think you guys …..church festival? It’s a ….work, cold steel bloody business! I want you to show a tiger ….! I want you to … (crawling)! I want you to giv’em a real … like this: AAAAAAAAA! Then if ….., growl again: AAAAAAAA! That’s what I want! ….. wild beast of the jungle! Because when the enemy see … you …. growling fighting men coming with …. ready to … they don’t like it! They don’t like it, I tell ya!”
13) 4:30. Sgt: “Now let’s see the tiger …… You, Elmer J. Styvesant, Junior the Second!
14) 4:50. Elmer barks))) and then sergeant says something not very loud.
15) 4:54. Sgt: “Aw, you got’em! You got me scared right now …… ……………………………………………………………………….! Get in there! … the second movement in modern bayonet ….. is called …. Take your rifle like this. ……………………………. attention. Get this. …right up against the enemy ….! …. get it around, under the chin! ………. man a man, body a body! … a….! Ypu can feel your………………………….shiny steel! A man’s weapon! Every one of you …..like soldiers! Not like ….! Watch me! ………the enemy’s advancing! He’s coming to you! What will you do! You ….., you …. and….! Right…….your rifle…….! ……….! Put your shoulder against him! ……………………hot blood! What ……………………………………! And may be……. at him! ………………….! That’s what I want!”

Have you finished your project? I realize that all of this was nearly a year ago, but you stopped less than half-way through the movie. I have no trouble understanding any of the dialogue and would be happy to help too! Also, I want to see the rest of the movie.

Jennifer