Top 100 Favorite Movies of Journeyowns

→ in
Tools    

This is something I'd been thinking about long before I started posting here a few days ago. This list is not perfect, as I haven't seen so many things that are on most of the lists I've read on this board. One of the reasons I began to post here is so I can step outside my little box and see things I perhaps wouldn't have dared to before.

Anyway, I think I have my 100 down and ready to reveal. Be warned, a lot of stupid comedy is on this list. It's my downfall.

I'll post the first 5 a little bit later.

I love stupid comedy. Bring it on.

The problem with comedy is that it doesn't age well. Great comedy is hard to judge because time needs to pass. The Marx Brothers, for instance, still make me lol probably just as hard as they first did in the 30s and 40s.

Some "stupid comedy" I like off the top of my head are MP and the Holy Grail, MP's Meaning of Life, Airplane!, and Anchorman. Anchorman for more cultural reasons than anything, but as a film it is quite well done, I feel. It has that perfect combination of absurd that is so hard to criticize because then you look absurd.

100. Barbershop (2002)
(Ice Cube, Cedric The Entertainer)

"There are three things that Black people need to tell the truth about. Number one: Rodney King should've gotten his ass beat for being drunk in a Honda in a white part of Los Angeles. Number two: O.J. did it! And number three: Rosa Parks didn't do nuthin' but sit her Black ass down!"

This is a movie I was dragged to see by my friends in High School. At the time I wasn't expecting to like it, let alone love it the way I do. It has a ton of heart and genuine laughs throughout for me. I came away caring about the characters and even impressed by the acting of rappers Ice Cube and Eve. What puts this movie over the top though, is Cedric The Entertainer. Several of his lines in this movie are gutbusters for me. I come away entertained every time I watch it and that's what I ask in a comedy movie.

99. Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan (2006)

"I arrived in America's airport with clothings, US dollars, and a jar of gypsy tears to protect me from AIDS."

This is one hilarious movie and genius performance by Sascha Baron Cohen. To be as genuinely funny as he is while working with people who aren't in on the joke has to be extremely hard. Putting himself in those situations is truly a ballsy thing and this movie delivers.

98. Shoot 'Em Up (2007)
(Clive Owen, Paul Giamatti)

"
Guns don't kill people! But they sure help."

Intense, action packed flick with some great lines in there that will leave you laughing. If you can suspend your disbelief and just enjoy the kills for the campy awesomeness they are, you'll like this movie. Just a great, bloody time.

97. Gone Baby Gone (2007)
(Casey Affleck, Morgan Freeman)

"Kids forgive, they don't judge, they turn the other cheek, and what do they get for it?"

This movie kept me in suspense and on the edge of my seat. Great twist reveal in the end and great performances by Casey Affleck, Ed Harris, and Morgan Freeman.

96. Juno (2007)
(Ellen Page, Michael Cera)

"
You should've gone to China, you know, 'cause I hear they give away babies like free iPods. You know, they pretty much just put them in those t-shirt guns and shoot them out at sporting events."

A bright, quirky comedy that is really charming. Ellen Page is wonderful in the title role and I admit I'm a big fan of Michael Cera and he was his usual quirky awkward self in this one. The movie had great dialogue too.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Having Gone Baby Gone in there already makes this list look pretty good. Juno was pretty good, Borat was blah to me. I haven't seen the other 2.

Ah yes, Borat, I'd forgotten. Quite a funny film! I haven't even seen any of the other besides Juno, which was fantastically, fantastically meh, and I disagree with it's ideology completely.

95. O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000)
(George Clooney, John Turturro)

"Those boys desecrated a burning cross!"

Witty and entertaining movie based on Homer's "The Odyssey". The Coen brothers delivered bigtime on this one and it's my second favorite movie of theirs I've seen (though admittedly there are still many I need to see.) Really great movie and Clooney is fantastic in this.

94. Zodiac (2007)
(Jake Gyllenhaal, Mark Ruffalo)

"I am not the Zodiac. And if I were, I certainly wouldn't tell you."

This movie has a great flow and moves smoothly and is fascinating. Going in, I had no knowledge of the Zodiac killer case and as the movie progressed I felt deeply connected and longed for there to be resolution. Really enjoyed this.
93. Brian's Song (1971)
(James Caan, Billy Dee Williams)

"Well, on uh, Fake Draw Screen Right I uh, pick up the linebacker if he's comin, 'less of course it's Butkus, then I simply notify the quarterback to send for a preacher."

The ultimate guy tearjerker. It may help that I'm also a big football fan, but I think anyone could enjoy this movie. Hard to believe this is a made for TV movie, the quality is superb.

92. Zoolander (2001)
(Ben Stiller, Owen Wilson)

"Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?"

This is a ridiculously funny movie that I can continuously watch and enjoy. It is Ben Stiller's funniest movie in my opinion.

91. Ghosts of Mississippi (1996)
(Alec Baldwin, James Woods)

"
Today, thirty years later, I'm asking you twelve ladies and gentlemen to act boldly; to hold this defendant accountable and find him guilty... simply because it is right, it is just, and Lord knows, it is time. Is it ever too late to do the right thing?"

This is the tale of the third trial of Byron De La Beckwith, charged with killing civil rights activist Medgar Evers. The one thing that stands out to me in this movie is the portrayal of Byron De La Beckwith by James Woods. When I first saw this movie as a kid, James Woods terrified me. This character was the personification of evil. Still to this day I think it may be the best villain in any film...still kinda creeps me out and makes me uneasy.

I'm going to go back and edit in the previous posts with a bit of a format change. Rauldc's review is great and has made me wish I included more information on each movie I listed. I am going to go back and edit the previous two posts (but keep the movies the same.)

Zoolander was genuinely funny.

90. School Of Rock (2003)
(Jack Black, Joan Cusack)

"I have been touched by your kids... and I'm pretty sure that I've touched them."

A very funny family comedy with a ton of heart. Jack Black for me is hit and miss, but here he was great. I thought the kids were fun and the whole movie is a great time.

89. Unleashed (2005)
(Jet Li, Morgan Freeman)

"You borrow money from me, you're expected to pay it back. You pay it back, the collar stays on. You don't pay it back, the collar comes of. A simple set of rules."

I'm not normally very into martial arts movies. This is more than a martial arts movie. The action is intense but the characters are great. Bob Hoskins was a terrific villain in this movie. Thought it was very well acted too.

88. That Thing You Do! (1996)
(Tom Everett Scott, Liv Tyler)

"I've found that a hit record is like a stew. All the ingredients have to come together just right. Otherwise, it's just soup."

This is one of many movies that made the list because my fondness of them from when I was a kid carries over into how much I like it today. I've seen this movie many times and I still enjoy it every showing.

87. Hardball (2001)
(Keanu Reeves, Diane Lane)

"I want you guys to take a good look at yourselves and feel proud. We made it here. We're here. What I've learned from you is that really one of the most important things in life is showing up. I'm blown away by your ability to show up through everything that's gone on. The league never wanted you to play this game, but you showed up."

Chock up another sports-related movie for me. There will be more. I've always really dug this movie and I think the performances of the kids is the main reason. Keanu was good, but the kids were great. Lots of heart in this movie.

86. Enchanted (2007)
(Amy Adams, Patrick Dempsey)

"Thank you for taking care of my bride, peasants."

This live action Disney fairy tale is not a movie I expected to like as much as I do. Amy Adams is wonderful in the lead role, but the best part of the film in my opinion is every scene James Marsden is in. His part cracks me up.

85. Three Kings (1999)
(George Clooney, Mark Wahlberg)

"Bush told the people to rise up against Saddam. They thought they'd have our support. They don't. Now they're getting slaughtered."

Great action, but also a very smart movie with a message. I really like this movie more and more on every viewing.

84. Little Miss Sunshine (2006)
(Abigail Breslin, Greg Kinnear)

"Oh my God, I'm getting pulled over. Everyone, just... pretend to be normal."

Perhaps it's because I'm from a pretty dysfunctional family, so I related to this movie...and that kind of scares me. I thought this was fantastically done and with great performances. I absolutely loved the ending too.

83. Dazed and Confused (1993)
(Jason London, Rory Cochrane)

"Well, all I'm saying is that I want to look back and say that I did I the best I could while I was stuck in this place. Had as much fun as I could while I was stuck in this place. Played as hard as I could while I was stuck in this place... Dogged as many girls as I could while I was stuck in this place."

What a great teen film with a great ensemble cast. The characters are likable (well except the ones you aren't supposed to like). Very good film.

82. Just Visiting (2001)
(Jean Reno, Christina Applegate)

"I am eating this very good meats and vegetables in a very fine sauce... I will s*** easy tomorrow"

This is one of the funniest movies I've seen. The interaction between Jean Reno and Christian Clavier is just tremendous. I found this on VHS back in early high school and my family just loved it. Wore the tape out. Funny, funny movie.

81. The Visitor (2007)
(Richard Jenkins, Haaz Sleiman)

"You can't just take people away like that. Do you hear me? He was a good man, a good person. It's not fair! We are not just helpless children! He had a life! Do you hear me? I mean, do YOU hear ME? What's the matter with you?"

Wow, how great was Richard Jenkins in this movie? I believe coming into this I had only seen him in minor roles in comedy movies (where he is also great). This movie blew me away.

*It's kinda funny how Just Visting and The Visitor ended up back-to-back. Wasn't intentional.

I'd completely forgotten about School of Rock! What a fun picture.

Enchanted was actually sort of moving for a hopeless romantic like me.

Three Kings rocked.

LMS was okay.