M. Night Shyamalan should stop making movies

Tools    

As the title says it he should get arrested for making such horrible movies.
He ruined the two movies that I went to see and are almost impossible to ruin. Avatar the last airbender and dragonball. His scripts, actors, animations, visual effects make me sick and hate the shows I once loved.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Nothing will be able to touch Signs, The Sixth Sense, and Unbreakable. Those were good movies regardless of what other crap he keeps producing.

Nothing will be able to touch Signs, The Sixth Sense, and Unbreakable. Those were good movies regardless of what other crap he keeps producing.
Bingo. And those three films will keep earning him chances in my book. They show me that there's a truly wonderful filmmaker inside him, even if it's been hard to find the last few times out.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Bingo. And those three films will keep earning him chances in my book. They show me that there's a truly wonderful filmmaker inside him, even if it's been hard to find the last few times out.
Yup. If I'm not interesting in the film he's making (The Last Airbender) or the film just looks crappy (The Happening) I just take a pass on it. I do have to say I was disappointed in The Village which I thought would be really promising and Lady in the Water, which I really didn't know what to expect.

As the title says it he should get arrested for making such horrible movies.
He ruined the two movies that I went to see and are almost impossible to ruin. Avatar the last airbender and dragonball. His scripts, actors, animations, visual effects make me sick and hate the shows I once loved.
The Mods might hate me for this... But someone has to be rude to these losers..

All you loser Airbender fans stop bitching about this movie... Had enough of you newcomers, joining MoFo and badmouthing Shyamalan in all of your posts here...

Atleast he makes a better effort than Uwe Boll.

I agree Airbender might be a bad film... or maybe you fans are just too kiddish to appreciate it... take my advice and stick to your cartoons..

It's not Shyamalan who needs to be arrested, it's you kids who should be kept under house arrest...

I have noticed this for sometime now. You guys just join MoFo to badmouth Shyamalan, is this some sort of a cult??
Why not introduce yourself here with movies you like..

I didn't realize that he was responsible the Dragonball movie.

Damn him.
He didn't, it was produced by Stephen Chow.

Even before the Airbender movie got released, bunch of people on other forums have been trying to boycott the movie for racism...

Semper Fooey
I never had any interest in seeing that movie even if it received great reviews because I never saw the show it was based on nor want to so I have no idea what he did to mess up the adaptation. Obviously he is a gifted filmmaker, but he wouldn't be the first one to hit a rough patch or lose their way altogether. This was his attempt to make a huge commercial movie and it didn't work out. He should now go in the opposite direction and tell a story he feels passionately about at much less than his usual budget and not worry at all about its commercual prospects. Forget about the high concept twist endings because he seems to have exhausted that.

As a disclaimer: I am not really a Shyamalan fan, The Last Airbender sucked, and I agree he's having a really bad streak.

But I just wanna say this: Shyamalan is getting way too much negativity spewed at him. The man has made a few bad movies; every director does this. Spielberg made 1941, Scorsese made New York, New York, Altman made Popeye, Bergman made All These Women, the Coens made Intolerable Cruelty, John Huston made Annie, Woody Allen's made about six duds in the last decade, and the list goes on ad infinitum. Many will have different opinions on the merit of some of those works, but then again, tons of people love Shyamalan's 'bad' work. Shyamalan's are mainly noticeable because they all happened in a row, which is kind of a problem, but let's not forget the great movies he did make.

Signs is an excellent film, filled with homages to Hitchcock, Don Siegel, and early 80's horror flicks, yet it manages to remain a completely original work. Unbreakable was ingenious in both its story and its storytelling. And The Sixth Sense was...well, The Sixth Sense. Work this brilliant by a man that young could not have been a fluke. Most good directors are lucky to have one masterpiece in their lifetime, and even the greatest can only hope for a few. Shyamalan has at least two and he hasn't hit age 40. And for that reason he remains one of the premiere directors working in Hollywood today.

Semper Fooey
I like Robert Altman, but that Popeye was a complete stinker.

I'm a big fan of the original 1930s comic strip which was far superior to the cartoons and Jules Feiffer in interviews insisted his screenplay was going to be like the strip. It wasn't. He tried to combine the comic strip with the cartoons and messed both up. Blutto was never an important character in the original comic strip. He just happened to be appearing in the comic strip's story when they were making the first cartoon. He never appeared again in the strip's continuity until after the cartoonist died in the late 1930s from cancer, only in his early forties. In the comic strip Blutto wasn't interested in Olive Oyl. And Popeye didn't eat a can of spinach before becoming super strong. The comic strip's only recurring villain in those days was the Sea Hag who Whimpy would make love to because she had 50 pounds of hamburger meat on her ship.

Altman went like a decade without making a good movie. The Player was his first movie after a long drought back to his old form and he seemed a little more consistent after that.

I like Robert Altman, but that Popeye was a complete stinker.

I'm a big fan of the original 1930s comic strip which was far superior to the cartoons and Jules Feiffer in interviews insisted his screenplay was going to be like the strip. It wasn't.
Thank you! I'm not the hugest fan, but I knew enough to know that movie did not do it justice and was ultimately expendable.

Altman went like a decade without making a good movie. The Player was his first movie after a long drought back to his old form and he seemed a little more consistent after that.
Exactly. He's actually a great parallel to Shyamalan. He started with a bang, M*A*S*H, McCabe and Mrs. Miller, Nashville, 3 Women... Then he had a string of WTF movies: Quintet, Popeye, A Perfect Couple, HealtH...

And he's one of my favorite directors. Shyamalan's got tons of time and reels of crappy film before I dismiss him.

~Loves a good classic movie~
I really enjoyed watching Signs and The Sixth Sense. The Village was a big disappointment for me. I would have liked it better if there had really been creatures in the woods. lol I know a lot of people did not like Lady in the Water, but it had one saving grace for me. It showed a lot of people, from different walks of life, who came together for a common cause. That seemed to redeem that movie for me.

Unregistered Illegal User
I absolutely love The Sixth Sense , i really like how the story is told in the movie -the movie from the beginning already makes you aware of what you will see and builds the suspense from that.

Grill me, I dare you!
My Reviews

I absolutely love The Sixth Sense , i really like how the story is told in the movie -the movie from the beginning already makes you aware of what you will see and builds the suspense from that.
I think I saw that movie about seven or eight times in the theaters, I was 13 when it came out and it was one of the first times I actively tried to pick up on the little details and clues. The problem is that The Sixth Sense had one of the best twist endings of all time. It's hard to top that, but Shyamalan still tries.

I really wish people would stop comparing movies to The Sixth Sense in trailers. It's like, hey, thanks for letting me know that this movie is going to contain some sort of twist that I probably wouldn't see coming otherwise.

I really wish people would stop comparing movies to The Sixth Sense in trailers. It's like, hey, thanks for letting me know that this movie is going to contain some sort of twist that I probably wouldn't see coming otherwise.
Thank you! Glad to see I'm not the only one.

He shouldn't stop, but he should make a movie that is actually good again.

I saw Last Airbender & it was fine.. Way better than Prince of Persia.
(Still don't the fact that PoP did far better than this one)

Having seen the TV show after the movie... I can't see the point why fans are whining, the movie is in fact as good as the show..

It's in fact one of the few adaptations which is more than 90% close to its original source.

I haven't seen Happening yet.. but I have seen all his movies and like them a lot.

So for all that are expecting a movie like Sixth Sense from, should skip his movies if that's the expectations they are keeping.

Shyamalan is a guy who can make films for a special set of viewers.. but somehow his movies are pitched for a larger market...

Shyamalan is a guy who can make films for a special set of viewers.. but somehow his movies are pitched for a larger market...
I agree with this last part. He makes his own film and they're not for everyone. They're not really for me, but he made a few films that did incredibly well and now he's marketed as his films whereas he should be considered more of a niche or cult director.