WW1 Movie featuring wounded veterans

Tools    

There are those who call me...Tim.
Right this one might be tricky...

I remember hearing about this film from a documentary about film censorship and ratings, and I think this film came out before such ratings even existed.

It was pretty critical of World War 1 I'm sure....

I don't know much else about it because I've never seen the whole film, but there was a clip they showed in the documentary which intrigued me, and it was a shot where a load of real life wounded war veterans marched past the camera, and I think it was also a double exposure to make them appear ghostly.

I'm not 100% sure but I think they had facial disfigurements (I'm quite sure they did as the moment was intended to shock people).

I don't know the title, who was in it, what the film was about, or even when it came out. I'm pretty sure it's an early film as the documentary it was featured in also discussed The Hunchback of Notre Dame and The Phantom of the Opera (both Lon Chaney versions).

Off the top of my head I can't think of anything else... any ideas?

14-18: The Noise and the Fury

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1667050/

All of the archival footage and images come from that period (1914 - 1918), but this documentary was made only a couple of years ago.

There's a scene where they go into a hospital and, they have shell shocked patients walk for the camera. Perfect illustration of what living under constant bombardment for months on end does to a human being.

There's also a scene where they show some pretty disfiguring facial injuries; guys who were either shot in the face or received a load of shrapnel there, and they patched them up as best they could.

Semper Fooey
J' Accuse! (1919).

I've redited this because I posted before watching the entire clip. This I'm certain is your movie. The ghostly image scene is at the end of the clip. I first thought it wasn't because when they first rise from the dead they arren't ghosts.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xc3...use_shortfilms

Here is the ending to All Quiet on the Western Front. It has a very brief scene of ghostly soldiers marching at the end, but they don't look scarred or wounded.

&feature=related