Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (2010) Review

→ in
Tools    

Hello MoFo, this is my first movie review. Hoping I didn't do too bad a job.

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (2010)

My Rating: 5/10

I am not a fan of movies based on video games. Such movies (read Lara Croft, Max Payne etc etc) invariably lack a story and screenplay, and compensate this by having a lot of senseless and mindless action with a heavy cover of special effects. I went to see Prince of Persia without any expectations and found that this movie is no different. There isn't a shred of storyline in the entire 116 minutes of the movie (any sensible storyline anyways).

The Acting: It is very disappointing to see Jake Gyllenhaal in such a role. I have immensely liked him in October Sky, Donnie Darko, Zodiac and Brokeback mountain but in this movie he looked very very ordinary. He tried hard to come off as an action hero but for me he was just average, something I do not associate with him.
The support cast is just about alright. The only one who stood out was Alfred Molina. He was rather good with his comic timing in an otherwise ordinary performance from the rest of the cast.
The biggest disappointment for me was Ben Kingsley as Nizam, the main antagonist in the movie. This is largely due to the weak writing. His character is never developed properly. What should have been a strong performance by a great actor is reduced to being bland and unconvincing. To add insult to injury, he looks absolutely stupid in the movie with all the mascara he is wearing.

Director Mike Newell simply goofed this one up. A weak script to start with, poor casting choices (His entire cast save Jake Gyllenhaal is basically British and the movie is set in Persia) and a general lack of character development has hurt his film. I guess he went the commercial way instead of focusing on making a good movie. I'd have rather preferred if he had followed Mel Gibson's suit (as in Apocalypto) and done something to make the characters of his film more authentic.

The saving grace for Prince of Persia is its cinematography and art direction. The Persian landscape is beautiful to say the least. The action is good and the movie has a lively pace. The CGI is pretty good I thought, and it even gives that video game-ish look to the action sequences.

All in all, its an average movie. Watch it with no expectations and you might just like it. But I suggest, play the video game instead.

Nice reivew, I saw this movie this past weekend and feel the same way, it's good for a video game movie but that's not saying much, which is a sad thing. I seen it as a matinee at $8.50 so I enjoyed it for what it was.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Just for the heck of it, I'll mention that the "Persian landscape" was filmed in Morocco. The Iranians wouldn't let a western film company shoot in what used to be Persia.

Just for the heck of it, I'll mention that the "Persian landscape" was filmed in Morocco. The Iranians wouldn't let a western film company shoot in what used to be Persia.
Thank you for pointing that out. I did not know that.

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (Mike Newell - 2010)

As far as video games to film flicks go, this was a pretty enjoyable one. I know nothing about the game and I don't really need to. I'm a fan of big action-y flicks like this. Plain and simple. Being a fan of all three of The Mummy flicks I suspected that I might like this... and I did. I think I may have even liked it slightly more than The Mummy flicks. I might even think this flick is worth a
after another viewing. We'll see.

I pretty much disagree with most of the OP's review. The story is laid out very simply and is very easy to follow. Maybe too easy for some who are expecting drama and tension in their popcorn action flick. If anything it may have been a little too easy to figure out who the "bad guy" is simply because he was really the only other "big name" in the film. Although, I do agree that Alfred Molina was and is always pretty enjoyable no matter how small of a part he has in a film. And he did a nice job af adding some comedy, which is pretty common in these types of movies.

If you want to see a sword and sandals flick this summer then by all means go and see this. Its easily twice as good as the absolutely terrible Clash of the Titans remake.