Iron Man 2

→ in
Tools    

Since the other thread on this topic is ****, thought no harm in making new one....

Just got back from IMAXing it up, as we lucky blighters get it before you! Anyway, will keep this brief as find it hard to say much on the film. It was a bit disappointing, there were only couple action scenes and not much drive to the film. Tony's suit is slowly killing him and there's no cure, until they drop in the deus ex machina which takes up far too much of plot. Most of the central act is just swings and roundabouts, dropping nods here and there with SHIELD and giving bit screen time to underdeveloped baddies. I LOVE Sam Rockwell, fantastically charismatic actor, sadly the writing seemed to restrict much of his flair till towards the end. Mickey Rourke is pretty cool but except for his motivation don't really get too into the character. I don't want to say they were wasted, but more perfunctory. Tony's crisis through the film has some nice scenes, the party particularly but his friendship with Rhodes wasn't really shown much strength but Downey nails the character again. Cheadle does decent job replacing Howard but the role isn't beefy enough for much difference to be noticed. Scarlett Johansen was a pleasant surprise but her character seemed pretty pointless and her gracing action scene was too reminiscent of Nightwalker in X2. As was the final battle to the original Iron Man, robots fighting but this one was over far too quick.

The film was handled by Favreau well enough, despite the fact he has far too much time on screen. The focus on the film was Tony's crisis but has an underwhelming resolution which leaves a lot of plodding middle redundant. I think a bit too much time was given in leading to The Avengers and, not that i know much of the comics but a more satisfying arc would be the 'demon in the bottle' alcoholism narrative. The climatic battle was ended with another deus ex moment and the confrontation with Rourke was far too short.

I gave the first one a
, so if this one rates a
... I can live with that.

Yes, i also rate it less than iron man 1. Most of the time we have seen that second part or sequel are very successful. Like Lost world comparing to Jurassic park.

In the Beginning...
I can't believe they're not tapping the alcoholism angle. It was always the humanist side of Tony Stark in the comics, and you can't ask for a better shaman to bring that out than Robert Downey Jr. himself. I know Favreau and crew don't want to rain on everybody's parade with a Leaving Las Vegas remake, but it doesn't have to be terribly dreary (and really, when was the last time Downey acted anything remotely resembling "dreary" anyway?)

I can't believe they're not tapping the alcoholism angle. It was always the humanist side of Tony Stark in the comics, and you can't ask for a better shaman to bring that out than Robert Downey Jr. himself. I know Favreau and crew don't want to rain on everybody's parade with a Leaving Las Vegas remake, but it doesn't have to be terribly dreary (and really, when was the last time Downey acted anything remotely resembling "dreary" anyway?)
Yeahw en he wsa orignally cast thought it was shoe in for ythat story line. alas no. it's replaced by his suit slowly killing him witouy any addiction angle

You ready? You look ready.
Yeahw en he wsa orignally cast thought it was shoe in for ythat story line. alas no. it's replaced by his suit slowly killing him witouy any addiction angle
Speaking of alcohol...
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Since the other thread on this topic is ****, thought no harm in making new one....

Just got back from IMAXing it up, as we lucky blighters get it before you! Anyway, will keep this brief as find it hard to say much on the film. It was a bit disappointing, there were only couple action scenes and not much drive to the film. Tony's suit is slowly killing him and there's no cure, until they drop in the deus ex machina which takes up far too much of plot. Most of the central act is just swings and roundabouts, dropping nods here and there with SHIELD and giving bit screen time to underdeveloped baddies. I LOVE Sam Rockwell, fantastically charismatic actor, sadly the writing seemed to restrict much of his flair till towards the end. Mickey Rourke is pretty cool but except for his motivation don't really get too into the character. I don't want to say they were wasted, but more perfunctory. Tony's crisis through the film has some nice scenes, the party particularly but his friendship with Rhodes wasn't really shown much strength but Downey nails the character again. Cheadle does decent job replacing Howard but the role isn't beefy enough for much difference to be noticed. Scarlett Johansen was a pleasant surprise but her character seemed pretty pointless and her gracing action scene was too reminiscent of Nightwalker in X2. As was the final battle to the original Iron Man, robots fighting but this one was over far too quick.

The film was handled by Favreau well enough, despite the fact he has far too much time on screen. The focus on the film was Tony's crisis but has an underwhelming resolution which leaves a lot of plodding middle redundant. I think a bit too much time was given in leading to The Avengers and, not that i know much of the comics but a more satisfying arc would be the 'demon in the bottle' alcoholism narrative. The climatic battle was ended with another deus ex moment and the confrontation with Rourke was far too short.

3.5/5 is rather generous of you.

In retrospect, aside from a few quirky jokes, the only thing I liked was Favreau getting his ass whooped throughout the movie.

Agreed, it wasn't bad. But it should have been so very better. Like you said, too much time wasted in giving a base to The Avengers. Most of the cast remained under-utilized and consequently under-achieved.
Too much hype....Too little to show

Disappointing!

Just saw this. I agree with everyone on here when they say this wasn't up to par with the original. Aside from the scene at Monaco which takes place 25 minutes into the picture and takes up only 10 minutes, the last 20 minutes of Iron Man 2 was better than the entire film itself. The villian this time, Ivan Vanko/Whiplash, (played by Mickey Rourke) was executed well yet his finish was kind of cut short. Mickey Rourke did do a fine job I have to admit. He actually went to an actual russian prison to study his role. The role of Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow‎ on the other hand was kind of bleak and short handed. Her other undercover character Natalie Rushman, didn't have much purpose either. I don't know why they're considering Black Widow as a spin-off because it certainly would be pointless.
As for Iron Man 3? I am not as psyched for it as I was for Iron Man 2. Jon Favreau unfortunately didn't deliver this time. Something tells me it's good that he's not directing The Avengers.

Joss Whedon is the one thing i'm looking forward to in The Avengers.

Everyone seems to cite the Monaco scene but driving through the F1 cars just seemed far too ludicrous for me to buy into the scene. Completely took me out.

Semper Fooey
The drinking angle was introduced late in the comic book series, while a heart problem was the early series conflict, so I don't have a problem not playing up the booze so early. If the Iron Man movies keep getting made, there is plenty of time for Tony Stark to become an alcoholic. Seeing Robert Downey in interviews, what a load of crap he's become, talking about his insistence of keeping the movies PG 13 while keeping the character "real," as if anyone making these movies is looking for an R.

It's such a bummer isn't it? Most of the old comics were so good in the story department. And chock full of them to boot and yet when making the transition to film very few of them follow the actual story that made them popular in the first place. F***ing travesty, really.

I am burdened with glorious purpose
The drinking angle was introduced late in the comic book series, while a heart problem was the early series conflict, so I don't have a problem not playing up the booze so early. If the Iron Man movies keep getting made, there is plenty of time for Tony Stark to become an alcoholic. Seeing Robert Downey in interviews, what a load of crap he's become, talking about his insistence of keeping the movies PG 13 while keeping the character "real," as if anyone making these movies is looking for an R.
what's wrong with that? He wants kids to be able to see the movie. I think that's a good thing.

I really like how Iron Man is a bit of a jerk at times and it seemed that birthday party was a bit of the alcoholism angle.

I'm just an ordinary guy with nothing to lose.
I quite enjoyed the movie, Downey Jr. is my favorite "Marvel's Superhero" actor, but many things in this movie were under-developed and left me disappointed:

- Scarlett's character wasn't explored at all, it seemed that they just needed more sexy ladies in the movie (at least that they got right )
- Mickey Rourke was great as Ivan Vanko, but there was not much back story for his character, some character only briefly explains his origins and his father's.
- The final fight was ridiculously short, what happened, they ran out of film?
And last, but not least:
- What was Stan Lee's cameo?! If I had blinked at the wrong time, I'd have missed it.
- It was only me or they didn't even mention the names "Black Widow" or "Whiplash" in the movies?

On the other hand, Pepper Potts and Rhodey got more space this time, and the actors handled it quite well. Overall, the movie is quite entertaining, with some nice acting, but for comics fans, its shallowness is a let-down.

WARNING: "Iron-Man 2" spoilers below
The scene where Coulson finds Cap. America's shield was IMO by far the most hilarious in the whole movie

"I want my bird!"

what's wrong with that? He wants kids to be able to see the movie. I think that's a good thing.

I really like how Iron Man is a bit of a jerk at times and it seemed that birthday party was a bit of the alcoholism angle.
He's drinking a lot in this one so I could see the alcholism becoming a bigger factor later on.