Kick-Ass

→ in
Tools    

Welcome to the human race...

Based on the somewhat notorious comic book series of the same name, Kick-Ass revolves around the eponymous "hero" and his quest to become a superhero despite his notable lack of ability. His misadventures make him an overnight sensation, complete with all sorts of baggage that read like a checklist of your average superhero movie - an evil crime boss, a revenge mission, an innocent love interest, etc. You kind of see where this is going.

Kick-Ass is a tongue-in-cheek play on superhero conventions. The movie does manage its fair share of over-the-top craziness, acting as a hybrid of violent blockbuster and juvenile comedy. It works doing what it tries to do, but beyond that, it's hardly a great film. The action featured is slick, yet at the same time it feels kind of forgettable. The over-the-top nature of the violence inflicted is what stands out, whether it's death by microwave or a little girl killing goons single-handedly. There's a considerable amount of strength in the comedy, which is also fairly amusing and employs some good comic timing, but it's rarely an absolute gut-buster. I get the impression that the film isn't totally played for laughs, most of it just happens kind of naturally. There's also a decent stab at serious pathos in the typical second-act complications.

Everything about the movie is fairly solid. The acting is fairly solid on all counts, even with Nicolas Cage delivering yet another odd-ball performance as vengeful hero Big Daddy. Picking a standout, it's hard not to miss Chloe Moretz's notorious turn as Hit Girl. Everyone else holds their own just fine. The soundtrack's kind of catchy, the effects are solid.

Kick-Ass works fairly well, but doesn't quite seem to live up to the potential it seemed to possess. There's some fairly decent laughs and thrills to be had, to say nothing of the ways it toys with its heroes. It's fun, if a little passable.

Beat me to it. But as you already know, i'm as slow as they come.

Very good review, dude. Not sure if you were suggestin' it was a minor fault but I actually liked that the film wasn't entirely played for laughs as it gave certain scenes a sense of drama. It's funny that you say that the film doesn't entirely live up to it's potential as I actually underestimated any type of potential this film could have. I honestly thought that I was going to watch an unofficial sequel to Mystery Men.

Welcome to the human race...
Yeah, I definitely think it's better that the whole thing wasn't played for laughs. Hell, that entire sequence where...

WARNING: "Kick-Ass" spoilers below
...Kick-Ass and Big Daddy are getting tortured to death...

...is quite a kicker.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Seeing it Friday, will come back here with my thoughts.

Suspect's Reviews

First i will read reviews and then i will take decision whether to watch or not .

Yeah, I definitely think it's better that the whole thing wasn't played for laughs. Hell, that entire sequence where...

WARNING: "Kick-Ass" spoilers below
...Kick-Ass and Big Daddy are getting tortured to death...

...is quite a kicker.

Yeah, surprised the film didn't get an 18 certificate because of that.

Great review Iro... thanks. I'll probably wait to see this when it comes out on DVD... and when my niece is not around. It's been pretty annoying trying to explain to her why she can't run around saying "kick ass" ... :

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

It's been pretty annoying trying to explain to her why she can't run around saying "kick ass" ... :
That's just as annoying as movie people referring to the movie as Kick A**, instead of typing out the actual word "Ass".

Why asterisk the word "ass"? It's the word "kick" that indicates the violence. Stupid people.
Personally I don't have anything against people kicking each other, now when they start assing each other - that's when I make it my business.

Hey guys,

New to the forum, been searching around for a while to review and critique movies, so hopefully here can be home!

Saw this tonight after much hype and anticipation from friends. And to be honest, I left the cinema talking about something completely unrelated with my friend. Not a great impression clearly!

I think my main problem with the film was in its presentation and lack of definite genre. Although many of you have commented on how you enjoyed its mix of action and comedy, i thought the movie felt awkward and confused. There were times when you were left expecting something funny to come along, that just didnt, and other times where the attempts at comedy seemed to take away from an otherwise flawless action sequence. Previous movies (Hot Fuzz, Pineapple Express) have shown that mixes of comedy and action can work flawlessly if implimented cleverly, but i couldnt help but feel puzzled with this movie?

Aesthetically I think the movie was, on the whole, very good. Some of the locations were wonderful and the use of colour and light throughout all of the film was very clever. Particularly in the .

However there were times in the film where the cinematography was confusing and strange. Again in the final stages I struggled to comprehend this as a stylistic design and placed it down mainly to laziness on the part of the director, or the inattention to the audiences intelligence.

On the whole however, this was a movie that you'd maybe watch once and not again. A tad forced at times, and to an active observer, a plot that could be told from one of the early scenes.

Thought I'd post mine here too, just in case:

Kick-Ass (Matthew Vaughn,2010)

Entertaining and brutal. There are some very violent scenes which may be off-putting to many, but I think the violence brings down the "superhero myth". For most of the film, Dave spends his time being beaten up. This was a pretty nice touch to the film: harsh, violent reality meets comic books. Of course, many could say that this may be done to death, but Kick-Ass still brings some refreshing material to the idea. However, Kick-Ass does feel a little clunky at times; it attempts to delve into the relationship between Dave and Katie which comes off as contrived and forced, or when the voice-over basically states what is happening in the scene. But, that might not be the center of attention when one is viewing this type of film, though it does become distracting. Putting all that aside, Kick-Ass works well in entertainment and orchestrating some pretty cool action sequences.

Top movie, I loved it.. recommended!!!

After a lot of thinking i watched the movie and it is ok . I think children will love it also.

I saw it last night and was very underwhelmed and even slightly disgusted by it. Spoiler alert, don't read any further if you haven't seen it.

The way in which the different characters meet is just forced. Seriously, a 9-year-old-girl who just happens to be a deus ex machina when kick ass is about to het knifed by a drug dealer. She kills all of those guys easily and then her dad shoots the remaining guy and complains that she left her guard down. Really? Is that supposed to be ironic? Did anyone actually laugh when Nic Cage was on fire, but still screaming instructions at his daughters on how to best shoot the baddies? What the hell was Vaugh attempting to do here?

I take it that this movie is supposed to be a satire, but can anyone explain to me what it is supposed to be a satire of? The whole superhero genre? It attempts to satirize this by having a child kill baddies for a hobby? Seriously, was I the only one who aksed himself questions about this? It's supposed to be ironic, but just imagine if I make a movie that features a child ending up in ironic sex scenes. Would my movie also be regarded as an ironic satire? To me, Vaughn is just using this irony and supposed "coolness" to distance himself from the fact that he shows a little girl getting her ass kicked by a grown-up at the end of the movie.

What I'm saying is, what is the meaning of this movie? Does it have a purpose? And don't say: "yes, its purpose is being funny", because it simply isn't funny. Call me old-fashioned but I truly believe that this movie is a disgusting unfunny piece of commercial trash. And to make matters worse, it abused the iconic Morricone theme from For A Few Dollars More in a downright silly scene.

So if anyone can answer my questions, that would be swell. It's not going to stop me disliking this movie, but maybe I'll be able to understand it.