Anybody else like Director James L. Bridges

Tools    

I've always been a huge fan of James L. Bridges he never seems to be brought up around here or anywhere. He was an important director that delt with serious themes. His films always had a different look and feel to them. Do you have a favourite film of his ? what order would you put them in ? do you dislike his any of his films ?

I guess i've made this thread cause it always seems that the usual suspects are always talked about and a lot of fantastic directors are forgotten. Anyways, if you haven't seen anything by him and are interested in check out some of his stuff. I recommend you first check out The China Syndrome which was a subject of major debate when it hit the srceen it told a story that would later come true about a meltdown of a nueclear powerplant. If you like this either go with his all out drama The Paper Chase which brings you into the atmosphere of university life and studing and more studing or you could look into his most claustophobic film staring the amazing Debra Winger in Mike's Murder.

Bright Lights, Big City (1988)
Perfect (1985)
Mike's Murder (1984)
Urban Cowboy (1980)
The China Syndrome (1979)
September 30, 1955 (1977)
The Paper Chase (1973)
The Baby Maker (1970)

I like what I've seen thus far. I can't remember whether I saw The China Syndrome or Perfect first but, as I was about 14 when I saw it, I'll let you guess which one I like more to this day.

*A hint for those who may be confused*

I like what I've seen thus far. I can't remember whether I saw The China Syndrome or Perfect first but, as I was about 14 when I saw it, I'll let you guess which one I like more to this day.

*A hint for those who may be confused*
Jamie Lee Curtis, I love those knee highs. I think this film has is more Relevant today than it was in the 80's.

I think this film has is more Relevant today than it was in the 80's.
In what way, LBJ? The sexual politics or the gym/health obssessed culture? Or something else, maybe?

In what way, LBJ? The sexual politics or the gym/health obssessed culture? Or something else, maybe?
You got it, the gym/health obsessed culture. By today's standards it seems to be more fitting. That whole culture is a heck of a lot more substantial today then it was then. The Crazes of it all is massive the amount of magazines books general material and products people consume is much more vast.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Well, I've actually seen all of his movies and my fave is The Paper Chase. It was the first one I saw, and I recently showed it to my daughter to get her prepared for college, and it was just as entertaining as ever. I'd probably follow that up with The China Syndrome which is a solid thriller. The one I'd like to watch the most is September 30, 1955, a movie about how the death of James Dean affected one teenager (Richard Thomas) and his friends. I remember liking it a lot, but it's been over 30 years since I've seen it. Although Mike's Murder and Perfect were huge bombs, I don't think that Perfect is quite as bad as its rep. I'm not so sure about Mike's Murder. Bright Lights, Big City has some nice acting if not a lot more, Urban Cowboy was very popular in its time, and I thought it was OK, but there was something about Travolta as a cowboy which threw it off, although he got to show off his dancing and Scott Glenn was good as a sleazoid. In fact, the first time I recall seeing Glenn was in Bridges' debut The Baby Maker which has a good Barbara Hershey performance in a really early take on surrogate motherhood.