Dune 2010

Tools    

Anybody what to speculate as to why Pierre Morel gets to do Dune?

I'm at a loss.

I only know of David's 1984 version and the 2000 mini-series.

The mini-series, although I have not seen it, looks like a joke.

David's movie, (watching it right now) is a "visual feast" to quote Frank Herbert. But, only maybe a quarter of the story is there and condensed by Lynch.

Condensed by Lynch, hmmmm, sounds like a rock album.

I would love to produce Dune. It would have to be three hours long and I would need 100 million for the proper cast and sets. Hmmmm. Don't see that happening.

Ridley Scott was going to do the film (pre-Lynch) and wanted to go with a two picture project. I could deal that idea, if it was a one year wait like the LOTR movies. Dune needs more than two hours. It really needs about five. You could tell the whole thing in five.

Maybe the 2010 version will be good, but I don't see how. The director is making a movie now, and has another schedule before Dune. A project like Dune would take all of a good director's attention for two years. So I see a CGI heavy and acting limp version coming. Pity. You don't get better material to work with.

The problem is, too few directors or producers are up to achieving Dune as it should be done.

Yes. $100 million would be fine.

I would want $20 million for my actors (total above the line, somewhere around $50 million with advert) and $50 million for production.

Huge movies waste huge amounts of money.

Also, movies like Avatar and Indy 4 apent tens of millions on advertising.

CGI is this money pit. People dump tons of money into CGI and it is a waste - because it has a limited shelf-life art wise.

I would use model makers and actual paintings for much of the FX and CGI would be limited to string removal.

Also, I would need full production control to avoid money suckers. Money suckers are those high cost individuals who come along with production project crews but contribute nothing.

I would not want to direct. I would want to write it and produce it - and select the director, give final OK to DP, composer, and cast.

Darren Aronofsky is my choice for director on Dune. Darren knows how to get a good deal from non-CGI FX. He is also the "real thing" when it comes to genius.

Maybe I'll just write a play version and have some friends over and we can do it on the weekend. This I can actually arrange. If I supply beer.

I'm one of the few, I think, who thought the mini series was actually quite good. I also love the movie to death. Which is why I could care less about another rendering of this book.

They'll do it anyway though... always do.

A system of cells interlinked
Watched the original film last week - I still like it!

The recently released old interview with Herbert confirms that he liked the film too.

I think Lynch's Dune is a visual masterpiece that offers a great deal in art design.

It is sad that he has chosen to refuse a Director's cut and will not even discuss the film.

When you put three years of your life into something and create so much and then you get bashed for it, well, that can be a real downer.

I still love Lynch's Dune..
I have seen the recent mini-series, they were decent but occasionally dull..
Would have loved to see the Alejandro Jodorowsky version.

I don't think a remake is needed, but I would love to see Jodorowsky & Moebius team up to do an anime based on the series.

I'm looking forward Jodorowsky's documentary about DUNE , a would be film with surrealist artist Salvador Dali and scored by Pink Floyd, artist Mobius and the guy from Alien
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1935156/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
Too bad it was never done but you can have a glimpse of this...

It's better not to just dump links in threads. Please embed relevant trailers or use the QUOTE tag to quote relevant excerpts while linking to the source for people who want to read it all. In other words, make it easy on people. Otherwise, not a lot of discussion will result.

Here's the trailer, for example:

Thanks for your advice given twice, once in the way I write and trying to explain why I do this and that and now this. Allow me to post in the way I WANT thank-you-very-much and thanks for reading me. If there is an additional dialogue or not, well, it doesn't depend on me. I wanna share things in the same way you and others have done. It seems to me somehow you feel uncomfortable of my postings for whatever reason. Can I suggest you if it bothers you just ignore me?
BTW some people don't wanna spend too much time watching youtube, some prefer less talking and more pics, some don't want anything, not even reading but posting. So, I can't be naïve to think I am gonna please you and everybody else!

A system of cells interlinked
Seeing as how this is his site, and I work here, and it's our job to monitor all the posts, I am unable to acquiesce with your request to ignore your posts.

Here's the deal - This site has rules and regulations, which have been poured over and adjusted for over a decade in an effort to provide the best discussion forum possible for films. The aim is to create a diverse and inclusive forum the resides exclusively on the forum itself. Expecting users to surf all over the place and then return to the discussion at hand, when there are applets and tools that provide clearly superior and more efficient options is just sort of silly. Why would a link to a trailer ever be superior to just posting the actual trailer right here in the thread? Not only is it easier on everyone reading the threads, but you are much more likely to get discussion going with the trailer here instead of somewhere else, simply because most users are far more apt to watch something in the thread than navigate away from the site and return to discuss, which makes all the sense in the world.