Submit Your
Comedy
List
The deadline for the Top Comedies of All Time list is coming up! Submit your ballot now, or read about it here

Multi Level Movie

Tools    

I'm not trying to remember a movie, I'm asking for a recommendation.
I want to see something that will make me think, have some sort of an impact, maybe even sad or depressing.

Any ideas?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Midnight Cowboy
Easy Rider
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Little Big Man
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
Dr. Strangelove...
Paths of Glory
My Father's Glory
The Seven Samurai
The Seventh Seal
The Innocents

I have many more, but this is pretty much my intro list to most people, and I would think a normal person could pick 10 of those to be in their own personal Top 10. You're welcome or very sorry.

Requiem For A Dream (2000)
What The Bleep Do We Know (2004)
A History Of Violence (2005)
Blue Velvet (1986)

TBH, I don't really know what to put here. I'm assuming that it's film of the ilk that I've suggested, but rather than carry on in that vein and be wrong, I'll move onto documentaries.

I'd recommend looking at the work of John Pilger and Nick Broomfield.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Pilger

Trying to keep within the boundries of the request, I'd recommend the following Broomfield films.

Nick Broomfield Documentaries
Soldier Girls (1981)
The Leader, His Driver And His Drivers Wife (1991)
Aileen Wuornos: The Selling of a Serial Killer (1992)
Aileen: Life and Death of a Serial Killer (2003)
His Big White Self (2006)

But most, if not all, of them are worth a look if only for entertainment or opening your eyes to a different world.

Others I'd recommend include:

Black Gold (2006)
The Thin Blue Line (1988)
Hoop Dreams (1994)
In The Shadow Of The Moon (2006)
51 Birch Street (2005)
Grey Gardens (1975)
The Age Of Stupid (2009)
Capturing The Friedman's (2003)
The World At War (1973)
The Corporation (2003)
Baghdad ER (2006)
The Celluloid Closet (1996)
No End In Sight (2007)
Bowling For Columbine (2002)
Enron: The Smartest Guys In The Room (2005)
The Fog Of War (2003)
Outfoxed (2004)
Hearts And Minds (1974)
Paperclips (2004)
Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies (2005)
Sicko (2007)
State of Fear: The Truth about Terrorism (2005)
Sweet Crude (2008)
Touching The Void (2003)
Wal-Mart: The High Cost Of Low Price (2003)
Dave Gorman's America Unchained
Taxi To The Darkside (2007)

If you're looking for more documentaries, this is always worth checking out for ideas or inspiration.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/documen...le/index.shtml

Hope this is of some help.

The Conversation-- Obviously, it impacted me because it is one of my favorite movies. But the character study of Harry Caul is personal, you see him everywhere, you watch his routine as the day goes on, you see his interactions with other people and colleagues, you see how he behaves around females. Ergo, you get very involved with his mental state and character that the end result will probably have an effect on you.

Grave of the Fireflies-- Unless you have no soul, this movie will have a great emotional impact on you. It may be one of the most harsh depictions of post/current-war trauma, and it is the most powerful animated film I've ever seen. I don't really know what the target audience for Grave of the Fireflies is, but unlike other animated films this isn't out to prove a lesson or teach you something. You watch Seita and Setsuko try to survive and it is a very sad form of art. But, if you are looking for an impact, I have no doubt you will find it in this Japanese anime film.

Wild Strawberries-- I just watched this movie recently, and it may very well be Bergman's best. Like Ikiru, it has to do with the human soul and how a person lives their life. It is a film about a beautiful spiritual journey an old man has that teaches him a lot about his family and himself. It may make you feel a certain way, but it is a powerful film about people and their decisions on life. I recommend it.

Grave of the Fireflies-- Unless you have no soul, this movie will have a great emotional impact on you.
Or don't like anime.

Most, if not all, of the non-documentary films I listed are pretty well explained by taking a look at a synopsis for them. However, I will add a few lines for the following:

Dead Man's Shoes
This film completely blindsided me. I was totally unprepared for its emotional impact as I was expecting a good, but fairly routine, revenge thriller, but this film is so much more. Paddy Considine gives a performance which, had it been in an 'Oscar film' by someone like Pacino or De Niro, would've been praised for the rest of time.

Jack The Bear
TBH, I only really remember this film for its ending, which left me in tears of anger.

The Straight Story
I seriously question my need to know or have anything to do with anyone who doesn't like this film.

I'd also add Paradise Lost: The Child Murders At Robin Hood Hills, which is another documentary and the only film that I've ever genuinely been opened mouthed whilst watching. I simply couldn't not believe what I was seeing and hearing at times. Eye opening and mindblowing. I'd also recommend seeing the sequel, Paradise: Revelations, though, IMO, it doesn't (and couldn't) have the same impact.

I've not seen What The Bleep Do We Know!? and I've read reviews from people saying it's total rubbish, but you asked for films that would make you think and how can this not make you think?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_The_Bleep_Do_We_Know

I saw a 5 disc version for about 18 that I was very tempted to buy.

Even if you don't like anime, it is still an emotionally powerful form of art.

Well, Donnie Darko toys with philosophy and metaphysics.

As far as emotionally resonant, The Theory Of Flight is strange, quirky, but very human story. Also, Mystic River deals with love, loss, and the nature of revenge. Rails & ties, is another fairly dark story.

...uh the post is up there...

I just watched the trailer for Dead Mans Shoes, wow about sums it up, hk.

ff087, Already a huge fan of Donnie Darko, I have yet to bring myself to watch S. Darko.

You guys ready to let the dogs out?
Memento will certainly get you thinking, I was quite confused when I first watched it, but judging by your top 10 movies I'm sure you would have seen it

Now you've definately hit my blindspot I'm afraid.

The Doors, Hendrix, Janis Joplin, The Kinks, The Beach Boys, Placebo, Guns N Roses, The Donna's, Aerosmith, early Ice-T, The Eagles, The Velvet Underground, Nirvana, T-Rex. Probably not anyone that you haven't already tried or loved.

*Edit: A few I forgot. The Pixies, The Breeders, Suede, Blur, Black Sabbath.*

I listen to a few of those, have heard mainstream of some of the others. However, I've never heard of the Velvet Underground, The Breeders, Suede, a couple more. I'll be exploring those withing the next week, thanks