Chasing Amy (1997)

→ in
Tools    

Kevin Smith film. Thoughts?
Also, after watching it a couple of times throughout the past few years, what do you guys think about counting out one of the sexes just because they are the same (or opposite) sex from you? (This question posed is not meant to offend anyone, I'm just curious of what people think).

Welcome to the human race...
Well, for what it's worth, I reckon it's one of Smith's better films and shows a surprising degree of emotional maturity while still bringing a decent amount of humour.

As for the question - not entirely sure what you mean by that. Care to rephrase it?

Love all Kevin Smith movies. However, Chasing Amy is not his best work (he doesn't have so many, actually).

I also did not understand what you meant with your question.

Well, for what it's worth, I reckon it's one of Smith's better films and shows a surprising degree of emotional maturity while still bringing a decent amount of humour.

As for the question - not entirely sure what you mean by that. Care to rephrase it?
In the movie, after they sleep together, Ben A. asks why girls instead of guys and why she slept with him. She gives this whole little speech of why it seems silly to only date a certain gender because they are that gender. What I understood from it is the girl character thought that it's odd that there are so many people living on earth and to decide that half of the population, because they are that certain sex, you totally count them out as an option for those sorts of relationships. I was wondering what you guys thought (and I completely get that people are attracted to whatever they are attracted to and that's just how they are), but do you guys find it strange that lots of times we will "limit" ourselves to one of the genders even though it closes all of these other doors of opportunity for all of those types of relationships?

I liked the "who gets to the $100 bill first" scene. I thought that whole dialogue was funny, moving, and yet gets pretty heated for two bestfriends.

I also liked the Banky/Holden exchange outside the apartment after Banky finds Ayssa and Holden sleeping on the couch. I guess i just liked how much Banky cares and forsees the problems to come in the relationship. I have had heart-to-hearts like that with my friends and it struck a chord with me.

Welcome to the human race...
In the movie, after they sleep together, Ben A. asks why girls instead of guys and why she slept with him. She gives this whole little speech of why it seems silly to only date a certain gender because they are that gender. What I understood from it is the girl character thought that it's odd that there are so many people living on earth and to decide that half of the population, because they are that certain sex, you totally count them out as an option for those sorts of relationships. I was wondering what you guys thought (and I completely get that people are attracted to whatever they are attracted to and that's just how they are), but do you guys find it strange that lots of times we will "limit" ourselves to one of the genders even though it closes all of these other doors of opportunity for all of those types of relationships?
Well, that's life, really. There are all sorts of opportunities available to us but it's down to each and every one of us to decide for ourselves which ones we really want to go for. There's nothing too complicated to it.

I did quite like this movie. You don't often see the issue of limiting your relationship opportunities by gender in films - or at least I don't. To leave your options open regardless of physicality is an idea that makes a lot of sense to me. So, seeing that in this movie was nice.

Yeah, great in theory, works only if you're bisexual/pansexual/whachamightcallit. There's not much you can do about it otherwise.

OT: Decent film, not a particularly good filmmaker but a funny dude nonetheless.

^Haha, I think it was implied that she was innitially more bisexual than homosexual, but decided to identify herself as a lesbian. Still is funny when you think about it, though.