Richard Todd, star of The Dam Busters, dies aged 90

Tools    

I don't usually do threads like this, but as I've not seen it mentioned here, I thought I'd be the one to do it.

Richard Todd, the distinguished actor best known for his role in the classic war film The Dam Busters, has died at the age of 90.

His spokeswoman said that Todd, who had been suffering from cancer, died on Thursday night.

She said in a statement: ''He had been suffering from cancer, an illness that he bore with his habitual courage and dignity. His family were with him throughout.''

In his heyday, Todd was one of British cinema's biggest box office draws.

The son of a British officer, he grew up in Devon and became a war hero in his own right.

He served as an officer in the King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry as well as serving as a paratrooper in the British 6th Airborne Division.

He was one of the first British officers to land in Normandy on D-Day.

After the war he gained fame in the London stage version of The Hasty Heart, which took him to Broadway.

He returned to England to appear in the film version, and was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Actor in 1949.

He later appeared in the film The Dam Busters as Wing Commander Guy Gibson, in a screen reconstruction of the triumphant and daring British raid against the Ruhr dams.

He was well known in America for his role as the United States Senate Chaplain Peter Marshall in A Man Called Peter.

Todd was the first choice of author Ian Fleming to play James Bond, but because of other commitments he had to turn it down. The role went to Sean Connery.

His other film roles include Robin Hood in Robin Hood and his Merrie Men and he continued to act well into his 80s.

Joan Hayes, from Little Humby, Lincolnshire, trained Todd's gundogs for him and knew the actor for 30 years.

She said: "He was the perfect gentleman. The tragedy was that he was never knighted. He was very much loved by everyone in the village. He has been very ill recently but we attended his 90th birthday party at Grantham House in June.

"He was in a wheelchair but at least he was able to get there and see the Lancaster bomber fly-past."

Todd suffered personal tragecy in 1997 when his youngest son Seamus shot himself at the age of 20.

Eight years later, Todd's eldest son Peter, 53, also took his own life by shooting himself in the head with a shotgun after suffering depression.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...ters-dies.html

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I certainly liked him in the bouncing bomb movie, but he was quite good in The Hasty Heart opposite Ronald Reagan and Patricia Neal. I also remembered him when I was a kid and the Sunday "Wonderful World of Disney" program would show his Disney flicks: The Sword and the Rose, Robin Hood and His Merrie Men and Rob Roy, the Highland Rogue. When I got older, I appreciated him in the Hitchcock flick Stage Fright with Jane Wyman (the ex-Mrs. Ronald Reagan) and Marlene Dietrich, as well as his turn as Sir Walter Raleigh opposite Bette Davis's Elizabeth I in The Virgin Queen. He also had impactful roles in Saint Joan, The Longest Day, the underrated The Boys and Operation Crossbow, as well as a fun part in the enjoyable horror omnibus, Asylum.

R.I.P. Richard Todd OBE

I thought his part in The Longest Day was interesting mainly because it saw him taking the bridge that he actually helped take after the D-Day invasion. How's that for having a technical advisor on set.

His name sounded familiar but I couldn't place him until I saw his picture...

Rest in Peace...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

A real English gent and legend.

had the pleasure of seeing him a number of years back on stage and I've always liked his performances.

I say check out;

"The Hasty Heart" (Wonderfully emotional stuff)
"Stage Fright" (He's good fun as Hitch's murder suspect)
"The Longest Day" (Just because of history!)
"The Dam Busters" (Do you need a reason?!)
"The Long and the Short and the Tall" (the perfect recreation of Sarge)
"Never Let Go" (where he takes on Peter Sellers' ruthless crime boss for nicking his car in this excellent Brit crime flick!)

A tragedy indeed that such a brave soldier, soldier's advocate and successful actor for so long was never knighted!
Typical.

RIP Sir!