Nicolas Cage as Superman in Tim Burton's "Superman Lives"

Tools    

Back in 1998, Tim Burton was set to direct and Nicolas Cage was set to star in Superman Lives, a project that Warner Bros eventually scrapped due to budget concerns. But before pulling the plug, the studio spent millions on pre-production work that included concept art and costume designs.

Worst Previews has a look at Cage wearing a redesigned Superman suit. He is shown sporting long hair, similar to Superman's hairstyle after his rebirth in the comics, and a very bored look on his face. Check out the video below that contains several concept art pieces and a shot of Cage wearing the costume.

Another interesting bit of trivia about Superman Lives, is that it was written by Kevin Smith, something that the "Clerks" director has talked about several times.

We can't be sure that the photo is real, but both Mania and TimBurton.jp are claiming that it is.

Source: Worst Previews

Wow, that whole combination - Nicolas Cage, the video, Tim Burton, and Kevin Smith - is just odd...but oddly fascinating. lol

Cage looks like Burton on downers, poured into modeled plastic, and that disturbingly low neckline.

His "conceptual sketch," is just Jack Skellington with a crudely drawn S on his chest, seriously? Oh, and the bald guy, with metallic spider-webbing, mesh on top of a black leotard.

Honestly, why didn't they just change the name to "Untitled Tim Burton project," and scrap the "S" entirely?

...uh the post is up there...

what an awful idea.

Semper Fooey
It's a bird!
It's a plane!
It's Nicolas Cage with a S on his chest!
It's...
SCHMUCK MAN!!

You know it might not be that bad of idea to have Cage play superman if they list the movie as a comedy.

Movie Fan
I don't know, i mean why didn't Tim Burton pick Johnny Depp, since he seems to be the first choice whenever Burton decides to make a movie.

I just don't see Nicholas Cage playing the role for any super hero. A lot of people didn't like him in Ghost Rider.

If they make another Superman, than they should try for another unknown. But choose someone who can actually grow facial hair

Semper Fooey
I don't know why the Smallville actor can't play Superman in a movie. And the actor on that show is a better Lex Luthor than Hackman or Spacey. The TV show jumped the shark two seasons back, so just cancel and retool for a theatrical movie (not necessarily a continuation of the TV series or with all the same supporting cast).