Tools    

The First Avenger: Captain America

Release Date: July 22, 2011
Studio: Paramount Pictures, Marvel Studios
Director: Joe Johnston
Screenwriter: Christopher Markus, Stephen McFeely
Starring: Samuel L. Jackson
MPAA Rating: N/A

Plot Summary: In the early days of the Marvel Universe, Steve Rogers volunteers to participate in an experimental program that turns him into the Super Soldier known as Captain America.

Originally Posted by Jrs' Sequel Buzz Thread

Awesome Fan Made Captain America Poster

Source: NineteenPSG

In the Beginning...
Oh, I didn't see that it was a fan poster. I think it's difficult to market Captain America as "the first Avenger," since a lot of people aren't going to know what that means. But I guess they want to set up the Avengers film this way.

Cap' is such an amazing superhero that it would take a tremendous amount of acting and directing talent to pull off a good film. I hope those involved can do it.

... I think it's difficult to market Captain America as "the first Avenger," since a lot of people aren't going to know what that means. But I guess they want to set up the Avengers film this way.
I don't think so. They know exactly who their audience is and the title suits the films perfectly.

In the Beginning...
Well, Capt' America, being the first member of The Avengers ..henceforth The First Avenger: Captain America. So, it kinda makes sense having the title that way. don't you think?
Captain America wasn't the first Avenger. In the first issue, the Avengers consisted of Thor, Hulk, Iron Man, Ant-Man, and Wasp. Captain America was resurrected soon after and joined the team.

So no, I don't think the title makes sense.

But even if they want to portray Captain America as the first Avenger - as they have in The Ultimates - I still think introducing the Avengers in this way might lead to confusion among people who have never heard of the team. After all, considering how much money Marvel throws at marketing their films, it seems like their target audience isn't just fans, but anybody and everybody.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I haven't liked the title since they announced it. I think everyone knows who Captain America is, why can't the film be marketed as such and not with a title like The First Avenger?

Iron Man was marketed without any goofy moniker, so why bother with Cap? To be honest, Iron Man is a lesser known character, but the film was a success in more ways than one. Marvel needs to wise up if they want to keep the peace with fans, you know those fans that have helped get them where they are.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

I think the title's fine. I mean, I think it sounds goofy, but it's logical. He may not have been the first person to join the Avengers, but he was the first person born who became an Avenger, at least as far as the movies are going to go. It makes sense. And I agree that it's being used to feed into the larger Avengers project.

All that said, I'm pretty excited about this. Not too high on Captain America as a superhero, but the idea of a period superhero film tickles me quite a bit, and the fun ways in which they could tie it to the upcoming integration efforts after the credits are numerous. Patton Oswalt was on a podcast recently talking about how he'd do it; something about Captain America being frozen after all's said and done, only to flash forward to the present, where Tony Stark and Bruce Banner have thawed him out and say "we need your help."

I think I just let out some form of mutated giggle.

In the Beginning...
Yeah, it's pretty obvious they want to start drumming up excitement for the Avenger film early, as evidenced by the post-credit spots in Iron Man and The Hulk. But those were clearly directed at fans, as a kind of "hey, nudge nudge." This title, on the other hand, is going to be carrying a little more marketing weight.

And it's just clunky anyway. It also reminds me of those classic comic subtitles attached to specific characters, like The Phantom: The Ghost Who Walks, which is admittedly kinda cool, but isn't Captain effing America a cool enough name?

Originally Posted by Yoda
...the idea of a period superhero film tickles me quite a bit, and the fun ways in which they could tie it to the upcoming integration efforts after the credits are numerous. Patton Oswalt was on a podcast recently talking about how he'd do it; something about Captain America being frozen after all's said and done, only to flash forward to the present, where Tony Stark and Bruce Banner have thawed him out and say "we need your help."
I think it's pretty clear that they're going to be taking an Ultimates slant on the Avengers. They've already done so with Iron Man, and what Patton Oswalt suggested is pretty much the canon story anyway. Nick Fury is going to be carrying a large role, though, and it's very possible that - like in the Ultimates - Bruce Banner's Hulk will be the team's first antagonist.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Patton Oswalt was on a podcast recently talking about how he'd do it; something about Captain America being frozen after all's said and done, only to flash forward to the present, where Tony Stark and Bruce Banner have thawed him out and say "we need your help."
Very cool!

Captain America targeting June start

During an interview with Fangoria The Wolfman director Joe Johnston confirmed that The First Avenger: Captain America is aiming to start filming in June. That gives them around 5 months to find their guy (if they haven’t already) and get everything sorted.

Another one of Marvel’s upcoming films, Thor, will begin filming in a matter of weeks.

Source: Filmonic

You won't see THIS Captain America in the new movie

Director Joe Johnston is revealing a bit more about the preproduction on his upcoming Marvel Comics superhero movie The First Avenger: Captain America, including which versions of Cap will figure in the movie adaptation.

Speaking with Film Journal, Johnston (The Wolfman) said the film will start in World War II but avoid the version of the hero from more recent times:

The film, he says at this early stage, will begin "in 1942, 1943" during World War II. "The stuff in the '60s and '70s [comic books] we're sort of avoiding. We're going back to the '40s, and then forward to what they're doing with Captain America now."
As for what Cap will look like?

"We're in prep," Johnston says. "Rick Heinrichs is production-designing and we're set up down in Manhattan Beach [California]. It's the part of the process that I love the most," he enthuses. "We have eight or ten really talented artists, and we all just sit around all day and draw pictures and say, 'Hey, wouldn't it be cool if we could do this?' It's that phase of the production where money doesn't matter: 'Let's put all the greatest stuff up on the wall and [then later] see what we can afford.'"
Source: Sci-Fi Wire (via Dark Horizons)

Joe Johnston could just be the right guy to pull this thing off. If it's anything close to The Rocketeer in design, dramatic as October Sky and riviting as Hildelgo. yeah this could be good.

Captain America will be cast soon, filming in UK

The only Avenger who we can’t put a face too at the moment is that of Captain America. The film is expected to begin filming in June, and director Joe Johnston recently told Sci-Fi Wire that they will be casting the role soon.

“We need to cast it soon,” Johnston said. “We have a very short list, but we’re still juggling actors here. I’d say within the next couple of weeks we’ll have ourselves a Captain America, I hope.”
He also mentioned that filming may take place in the UK, and he spoke about why he’s fond of the character:

“I think the interesting thing about this guy is that he’s a superhero without any superpowers, basically,” the director told us exclusively while promoting his current film, The Wolfman. “He is the epitome of human perfection. He can’t fly and throw tanks around and see through walls and things like that, but he’s strong and runs fast.”
Johnston added, “And the interesting thing about this guy is that he starts out as a 98-pound weakling and he becomes this Adonis. How does that affect his arc in the story? How does that affect where he goes and what happens to him and everything? I think that’s the part of the story that was fascinating for me. And, of course, being a Marvel movie, there’s fantastic action scenes in it and all kinds of great stuff. But there’s an interesting story there as well.”

Source: Filmonic

Captain America is American, Red Skull is Main Villain & More!

In this Captain America news round-up we’ll touch on the main villain of the movie, the casting process, candidates and plans for the main character as well as more details on the style and what we can expect from the movie.

The Main Villain

Today Drew McWeeny at HitFix was able to interview Joe Johnston, director of The First Avenger: Captain America about The Wolfman but managed to throw in a few questions about that big Marvel movie towards the end.

First up, he talked briefly on the main villain, confirming the expected that the Red Skull will be the main villain of the movie.

“Well, we will see the Captain America villain, the main villain, the Red Skull. But it’s the origin story. It’s how he became Captain America in World War II. There are present-day bookends, but it’s really… it’s his origin story. And we decided you only get one shot at telling an origin story, so you might as well tell it first.”
Captain America Hails From America

For those who were up in arms at the idea of casting a non-American in the role of Captain America, you may breathe a sigh of relief as Joe Johnston confirmed today at the press conference for The Wolfman that they “must” cast an America-born actor for the title role. This issue hit it big upon the surfacing of rumors surrounding Sam Worthington being a candidate for the role (really though, he’s named for every film).

IESB and Collider were present at the press conference today and posted a summary of the key points that Joe Johnston responded to:
  • Captain America to be cast by March 1st
  • Captain America will be played by an American
  • Film will be shot in HD
  • Film possibly to be converted to 3D after
  • To be shot uniquely, unlike any other Marvel film
  • Visual style of comic book but not literal visual adaptation
  • Sets have been selected in UK
  • Budgetary reasons limited action scene ideas
  • A relative unknown will be cast
  • Supported by name stars (like with Thor movie)

Captain America Follows Path of Thor in Casting Unknown

Although the actor who will play Steve Rogers has yet to be officially selected, we at least now know the direction that Marvel Studios is going with; Similar to Kenneth Branagh’s Thor, director Joe Johnston will have an unknown actor as the lead, supported by a strong and familiar set of actors, meaning this movie will launch someone’s career as we’re seeing with Chris Hemsworth whose playing Thor.

When asked in the press conference about this, Johnston responded with “No. We’re looking for a complete unknown.” Next he was asked to clarify about not casting an A-list type star for the role.

“I hope not. I hope it’ll be somebody we discover and whose never been in…well he’s probably been in something…you won’t know who he is or recognize him. We’ll surround him with more prominent names. That’s who we’re looking for. Will we find him? I don’t know. It’s tough.”
He followed up by a previous report last week about the role being cast within the next few weeks by saying they must make their decision by March 1st.

According to the LA Times’ Hero Complex blog, there are 5-6 candidates in the running for the role and they’re all relative unknowns ranging in age from 23-32.

“Well, we’re testing five or six guys,” Johnston said. “The youngest is 23, the oldest is 32. Most of the guys in the war are just kids, 18 or 19, but we want to go a little bit older.”
Iron Man 2 opens May 7, 2010, Thor opens May 5, 2011 , The First Avenger: Captain America hits July 22, 2011 and The Avengers is scheduled to debut May 4, 2012.

Source: Screenrant