Robert Rodriguez's Predators

Tools    

Originally Posted by Jrs' Sequel Buzz Thread

Predators Start Date Announced

A couple of months ago it was announced that a director had been found for the upcoming Predators reboot/sequel in the form of Nimrod Antal. The Vacancy director was just one of many that was in the running to direct the highly sought-after project, with another notable naming being The Descent helmer, Neil Marshall (who I, and many other fans, strongly favored).

With Robert Rodriguez on-board to produce (he was also rumored to be directing)at one point, Antal on-board to direct, and Alex Litvak and Michael Finch having written it, it looks like Predators is definitely on the way. And now Production Weekly<&callback=load_tweet">/a> is reporting a shooting start date (and location) for the film: September 28th, 2009 at Rodriguez’s Troublemaker Studios in Austin, Texas.

Predators is being said to be about a “very intense group of people stranded on a Predator planet discovering unspeakable horrors - that are not always from outside their group.” Sounds like it’s putting a new spin on the franchise but at the same time keeping the spirit of the original - I’m sure fans will agree that’s a good thing.

As stated, Predators is (apparently) to start filming on September 28th, 2009, and is slated for a release on July 7th, 2010.

Sources:
Screenrant

Other related posts:

Danny Trejo Joins "Predators" Reboot
First look at Robert Rodriguez's Bloody, Violent Predators
Predators Scouting in Hawaii

I'm so excited by this. I think it will rock and banish all memory of AVP and its sequel

Arnold Schwarzenegger to Cameo in Predators?

If everyone sticks to the script, it seems there may be a classic cameo in the works for an upcoming reboot. Latino Review recently posted a script review for the upcoming Robert Rodriguez remake Predators, and they reveal that if all goes according to plan, we could see an Arnold Schwarzenegger cameo in the film.

Of course, Schwarzenegger starred in the original 1987 film Predator, and this cameo hasn't been confirmed as of yet by the studio. But for now, you can click here to watch the site's script review video for the film.

Predators will be produced by Robert Rodriguez and directed by Nimrod Antal. The film is currently set for a July 7, 2010 release date.

Source: Movieweb

Full cast for Predators revealed

Set to hit cinemas next summer, the revival of the standalone Predator franchise is gathering still more pace, with the confirmation of the main cast for the soon-to-shoot Predators.

Adrien Brody (who last tackled a special effects blockbusters with King Kong) is one of the latest to sign on the dotted line, and he's set to take on the role of Royce, who's a mercenary in the script, and looks like the man who's ultimately going to be leading the team of Predator-meat to their potential slaughter. Joining Brody is likely to be Topher Grace, who has been earmarked for the part of Edwin, who's an accountant who doubles up as a serial killer. It's as if he's just walked in off the set of Dexter.

Alice Braga? She's on board too, and according to The Hollywood Reporter, she's going to be "the tough female killer". We suspect that means she's going to be a tough killer who happens to be female, rather than a woman who spends her life looking for, er, tough women to kill.

Danny Trejo, meanwhile, is - as you'd hope - the hardened warrior of the crowd, who never seems to go anywhere without a twin Uzi on his back. Then there's Walter Goggins as the unpredictable one, Oleg Taktarov as an ex-Russian special ops guy, and finally Mahershalalhashbaz Ali will be the fearless one who isn't afraid to meet his maker.

All of these characters have been brought together under a script from Robert Rodriguez, and calling the shots behind the camera will be Nimrod Antal, whose new film Armored is arriving in cinemas soon. He also has Vacancy on his resume.

Filming is due to start very shortly, ahead of a release next July.

Source: Den of Geek

Am I the only one who still thinks it will be below average ? The original director John McTiernan, directered Die Hard and The Hunt for Red October. Robert Rodriguez on the other hand has made a few fun films but nothing that great, lots of over stylized violence, Desperado, Dusk Till Dawn, Sin City and his last pitiful effort Planet Horror. I'm not happy to hear his the director, I like Rodriguez but I don't think he ll treat Predators with respect, instead it will be another of his mindless action vehicles.

Am I the only one who still thinks it will be below average ?
I don't know about below average, it could be of course, but I've don't see how this can be that great or meet the expectations many seem to have for it.

...but I don't see how this can be that great or meet the expectations many seem to have for it.
Not many people even know much about this to have such big expectations for it in the first place. Other than what is known by the public so far through the media and so far it isn't much. Until we are given some sort of clip or whatnot then I will judge.

Simce when did anyone have to know the details of a film, especially a remake, to get psyched about it. Think about the expectation level for films like Avatar, The Dark Knight or Watchmen before anything was know about them.

Welcome to the human race...
Am I the only one who still thinks it will be below average ? The original director John McTiernan, directered Die Hard and The Hunt for Red October. Robert Rodriguez on the other hand has made a few fun films but nothing that great, lots of over stylized violence, Desperado, Dusk Till Dawn, Sin City and his last pitiful effort Planet Horror. I'm not happy to hear his the director, I like Rodriguez but I don't think he ll treat Predators with respect, instead it will be another of his mindless action vehicles.
Way I read that, he's just producing and writing the script, not directing. While Rodriguez is a somewhat competent filmmaker, I'm not so sure his writing ability is up to scratch.

Anyway, I liked the original Predator enough to give this the benefit of the doubt.

See, Predator 2 had it all wrong. The way to make Predator better was not to add a number to it, but to add an "s" -- to add more Predators. Bravo, Senor Rodriguez.

Serious response: I think Rodriguez is pretty solid all-around. Perhaps not, as Iro says, as much when it comes to writing, but I thought the writing in Planet Terror was way, way better than it had any business being in a film like that. Faint praise, maybe.

Anyway, I like the concept of the Predator, and I've at least enjoyed most of what Rodriguez has done so far, so it's fair to say I'm optimistic about this.

Employee of the Month
Am I the only one who still thinks it will be below average ?
Obviously, it can`t getting worser than AvP. The first part was irritating, the second part was the rock-bottom.