Joel and Ethan Coen's True Grit

Tools    

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
The Coen's are to make another "adaptation" of the Charles Portis book that John Wayne helped make famous in 1969.

I've never read the book, but I'll probably pick it up now. The Coen's are great filmmakers, and I'm sure they'll knock the ball out of the park on this one.

There's also a RUMOUR that Jeff Bridge's may have John Wayne's role. I'd be excited to see Jeff do serious with the Coens.

There's also a RUMOUR that Jeff Bridge's may have John Wayne's role. I'd be excited to see Jeff do serious with the Coens.

Bridges to Star in Coen Brothers' True Grit

Jeff Bridges is in talks to star in Joel and Ethan Coen's remake of True Grit for Paramount Pictures. He last worked with the Coens on 1998's The Big Lebowski. Bridges would play the role that won John Wayne an Oscar for the 1969 original.

The film, which also reunites the Coens with their No Country for Old Men producing partner Scott Rudin, has been redrafted by the brothers to be more faithful to the Charles Portis novel on which the original film was based.

The story centers on a 14-year-old girl who tags along with an aging U.S. marshal, Rooster Cogburn, and another lawman to track the outlaw who killed her father.

Source: Variety

Rumor debunked.

The Coen's are to make another "adaptation" of the Charles Portis book that John Wayne helped make famous in 1969.

I've never read the book, but I'll probably pick it up now. The Coen's are great filmmakers, and I'm sure they'll knock the ball out of the park on this one.

YES!!! I WILL SEE THIS! Jeff Bridges would be perfect!

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Rumor debunked.
No, it's still a rumor until he's officially confirmed for the role.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

No, it's still a rumor until he's officially confirmed for the role.
It sure looks like Jeff and the Coens are reuniting for this movie. It will be on my MUST-SEE for 2011. The Big Lebowski is one of my all-time favorite movies, and this is big news for me! I'm too excited.

True Grit (2010)

Produced by Steven Spielberg and in pre-production.

I have been a big fan of Jeff Bridges since childhood. One of my favorite films, one that I think is a classic human story, is The Last American Hero (1973). I can't recommend this movie enough.

On the downside of the new True Grit, Matt Damon is in the film. More disturbing than this, he is listed as the lead on IMDB. I don't consider Damon to even be an actor. However, he did not ruin Geronimo (Walter Hill) so maybe the Cohen brothers can keep him from ruining True Grit. The Cohen brothers can get good performances from bad actors - I've seen it (e.g. Nick Cage).

On the upside, Josh Brolin is also listed. So I guess its give and take.

Semper Fooey
The Copn Brothers did such a great job on their other remake, that one with Tom Hanks.

Well, there's room for a good version of that movie, because--with the exception of Robert Duval--that first one wasn't much. Think it would be better if they brought back Duval in Wayne's role. Just so long as they don't bring back Glen Campbell!!!! Gawd, did he stink up the screen!

I heard about true grit about a month ago and have been excited ever since, Jeff Bridges is definitely my favorite actor they've used, it will be awesome without a doubt.

Also looking forward to the Coens doing True Grit. I only read the book recently and although it's only a short book it's got lots of spirit. I imagine they'll stay truer to the story than the Hathaway film using an older Mattie too. I can see Jeff Bridges as Cogburn too. Yeah, should be good

I heard about true grit about a month ago and have been excited ever since, Jeff Bridges is definitely my favorite actor they've used, it will be awesome without a doubt.
Y'see, that's why you should've found this site sooner. I posted the news/rumour about the Coens remaking True Grit in the summer of last year. You'd have been excited for nearly 9 months had you seen it. Of course, had it turned out not the be true, then you'd have gotten all excited for nothing.

If the Coens direct it, I'll watch it. Doesn't matter what it is.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

We need a good western nowadays. Seriously, when was the last good western?

there's a frog in my snake oil
We need a good western nowadays. Seriously, when was the last good western?
The Assassination of Jesse James worked out pretty solid I thought, and had a bit of that scenery savouring feel you get in some of the Westerns of yore. Plus some 'wild west' edge.

I agree, but I don't think it had "classic" power.

there's a frog in my snake oil
I agree, but I don't think it had "classic" power.
Yeah, think it squandered some potential with the messy middle (seems like the edit cut some of the relationships into accidental non-sequiters and that), but it came close

Y'see, that's why you should've found this site sooner. I posted the news/rumour about the Coens remaking True Grit in the summer of last year. You'd have been excited for nearly 9 month
yea I definitely should have found this site, it's very useful, but there are alot of movie forum sites... anyway i would rather be excited for a few months then see it instead of be anxious for a bit over a year, then see it

"photographers" Pfft! Dang single framers!
I could picture Jeff Bridges as Cogburn. Wonder who the girl will be. I looked in previous posts and didn't see a name, but that don't mean it wasn't there.

Glad they didn't pick Kurt Russell. Seeing him with an eye patch in 3 movies would be too much. Really, people should take the spoon out of their coffee before taking a sip.

Well, there's room for a good version of that movie, because--with the exception of Robert Duval--that first one wasn't much. Think it would be better if they brought back Duval in Wayne's role. Just so long as they don't bring back Glen Campbell!!!! Gawd, did he stink up the screen!

OMG.... Toosie must be throwing snowballs... Ruf and I actually agree on something...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)