Deadpool gets his chance

Tools    

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
So, recent news has Deadpool getting his own movie. Also, same news article states that a sequel to Wolverine is in the works.

Your thoughts?
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Sounds good to me - I enjoyed the film for the most part. I of course am a comic geek and as long as they keep up the quality of these type films I will probably enjoy them. Is Wolverine great? Not exactly, but it is pretty solid and a great popcorn flick I think. First two X-Men are way better but still all in all I like these. Do not think Deadpool wil get his own movie green lighted though, but stranger hings have happened.

I would love a sequel to come out of it, i actually thoroughly enjoyed this Wolverine movie. My only thing although i know its wolverine movie so it kinda has to be centred around him, id like to see more of other characters such as Emma Frost and Gambit.

Im not so sure a deadpool movie would be so hot once its done, i think the idea and concept of it is good, but i have this gut feeling that it would just be a bit of a flop.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I havent seen Wolverine yet but im an X-Men fan and any film involving them is a awesome idea, also Deadpool is awesome so I hope this goes through

I guess I could've posted a link to the news article.

Here it is.

I'm indifferent on a Deadpool movie. On one hand, it would be as 7th said, a solid popcorn flick. On the other hand, Deadpool is a relatively unknown character and people would be confused on why the Deadpool in a solo film is different from the Deadpool in the Wolverine film.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
I'd watch it.

As long as they somehow fix the trainwreck that was Deadpool at the end of Xmen: Origins. Deadpool is such an amazing character, one of my favorites easily. The potential he has is endless.

I also hear they are making an Origins sequel that will focus on wolverine's time in Japan, so that should be interesting, but talk about milking the cow

“I’ve made no secret about my desire to do a ‘Deadpool’ movie, but if you’re going to do it, it would have to be 100% faithful to its origins,” explained the actor. “To stay as true to the source material as possible is the only way to do it, and I say that because there’s nothing more interesting than the source material for Deadpool. There’s no reason to deviate from that.”
Given his stance on staying true to the character, how does Reynolds feel about the changes made to Deadpool in “X-Men Origins: Wolverine”?
“They deviated [from Deadpool's origins] in a movie like ‘Wolverine‘ because the movie is called ‘Wolverine’ and they have to make concessions and adjustments — and I totally understand that,” said Reynolds. “But if I were going to do a ‘Deadpool’ movie, I would want to be pretty strict about keeping it real.”

Messanger, thank you for contributing something useful. That was sincere.

I would like to see Reynolds be able to have that kind of pull to influence how the movie would turn out. Sadly, I don't see that happening. So, as Sawman stated, they'll butcher the character and the movie will bomb.

as an xmen fan, the idea of a deadpool movie is awesome. i just don't think that a lot of people know much about the character of deadpool since he is not one of the major characters in xmen that has been under the radar in cartoons and all.. i do hope that they make more of the "origins" movie of the xmen characters. that would be great.

Originally Posted by Jrs' Sequel Buzz Thread

Updates on the X-Men Franchise: Wolverine 2, First Class and Deadpool. Magneto is Dead

X-Men Origins: Wolverine will be released on DVD and Blu-ray in the UK next week, and UK magazine Empire flew out to the US to have a one-one-one with producer Lauren Shuler Donner. As expected, they asked her for updates on Wolverine 2, X-Men: First Class, Deadpool and X-Men Origins: Magneto and she had a lot to say.
Wolverine 2

Donner says that Wolverine 2 is the furthest along out of all the projects and will focus on the relationship between Wolverine and Mariko, the daughter of a Japanese crime lord, and what happens to him in Japan. She says they wanted an “A+ writer” so they got Chris McQuarrie (Valkyrie, The Usual Suspects) who has tightened up the story and has “got really immersed in the whole thing”. 20th Century Fox will also be working with the Japanese Fox executives as they “don’t want to portray the way [Japanese people] speak, dress and act in an inaccurate way.” Although it is “likely the characters will speak English rather than Japanese with subtitles”.

Donner finishes by saying “there’ll be samurai, ninja, katana blades, different forms of martial arts – mano-a-mano, extreme fighting. We’re going to come up with a new style of fighting. It’s going to be awesome.”

X-Men: First Class

According to Donner the script is not finished and they aren’t where they want to be yet. They are trying hard not to make it too similar to the previous trilogy and want to make it different. Donner also admits that the Harry Potter movies are “role models” for them but they “want it to be like the recent, darker Potters. It should not be a kiddie movie – we’re in the X-Men world so you can’t suddenly change the tone.”

She says that there’s still friction between mutants and the outside world, but First Class will be set before anyone knows mutants exist so it will probably have a more secretive edge. Regarding the characters Donner says they will be in Xavier’s School but they will also be off on adventures and some will be “naughty children”. She gives Cyclops as an example who is “a tough kid that bobbed from foster home to foster home, until he ends up at the school and becomes the leader.” None of the characters have been cast yet, but they plan on turning First Class into a whole new franchise so “the casting of the child actors will be all-important.” I’m not sure how young the actors will be but they’ll probably be young enough so we see them grow up on-screen.

Deadpool

Deadpool will be a complete reboot as they want to “ignore the version of Deadpool that we saw in Wolverine and just start over again”. Donner says it will be a “dark, snarky, very funny movie” and they are just working out which villain(s) to incorporate. They hope to have a write on-board by next month and are currently talking to a few. “We need someone really imaginative because we want to do some really innovative, ambitious stuff. Ryan’s mentioned this in an interview already but there are parts where he’s going to break the fourth wall and talk directly to the audience in the cinema. We have to work out how to do that. I don’t know that Fox will agree with all our decisions, but we’ll see!”

X-Men Origins: Magneto

…won’t be seen for a while, if ever. Donner says the film is “at the back of the queue” out of all the films and she isn’t sure if the script David Goyer wrote is ever going to be made. “Maybe it’ll get made in five years – who knows? I can tell you that Ian McKellen won’t be playing the character the whole way through. We used Lola technology in X-Men 3 to de-age Ian and Patrick for one scene, but it’s very expensive. To do that for a two-hour movie would be prohibitive financially. And to find a younger actor to fill Ian’s shoes, that’s pretty daunting. It’s not easy.”

Summary

The X-Men franchise peaked in 2003. 20th Century Fox have since been too involved with the creative process and we have ended up with disappointments. Although, they have hired Chris McQuarrie to write Wolverine 2 and there is a chance Bryan Singer could return to direct. If that happens Wolverine 2 may actually be a good movie.

If Fox don’t screw things up they could have a new franchise with X-Men: First Class. The films won’t be as good as the Potter ones, but that franchise ends in 2011 and there will be a gap in the market. They need to get an “A+ director” involved.

Source: Filmonic

Ryan Reynolds talks Deadpool, wants Quentin Tarantino to direct

At the moment Ryan Reynolds will be focusing on Green Lantern which will be heading into production early next year, however he recently spoke to MTV and gave an update on Deadpool, which he says is on the verge of getting a writer. He also mentioned that they have a list of dream directors, one of which is Quentin Tarantino.

“You think directors for a movie like this and you immediately picture [Quentin] Tarantino or somebody like that,” Reynolds told MTV News. “Obviously Tarantino is a guy that likes to direct his own material, so there’s a good chance he wouldn’t be the guy. We all have our lists of dream directors.”
Funnily enough Tarantino revealed last week that he was offered Green Lantern years ago.

Anyhow, back to Deadpool:

“I think at this point everyone’s just focused on getting the right script and the right tone and the right writer involved and I think from there, the world’s your oyster,” explained Reynolds of the film’s current status. “If you get that right, you’re going to get an amazing director.”

As for where that search for a writer is taking them, Reynolds said that aspect of the project is still in the meeting phase. However, he’s hopeful that an announcement will be made in the near future.

“That’s just right now being decided,” he said. “There’s been a lot of meetings and we’ve met with a bunch of different writers, all of which had amazing and slightly disparate takes from one another. So we’re figuring that out right now. Hopefully soon.”
Source: Filmonic

Ryan Reynolds Talks Deadpool Trailer & Costume

MTV Splashpage just put up another Ryan Reynolds interview segment continuing off of the Deadoool update post put up yesterday. All of these updates seem to be from the same interview a while back, divided into a bunch of separate news items. Yesterday’s talked about Reynolds’ wishful hopes of someone like Quentin Tarantino helming the Deadpool flick and we also spoke about the rumor of Zombieland writers Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick possibly taking over the scriptwriting duties for Fox.

In today’s update, Reynolds talks about how the Deadpool trailer must play out, the costume of the “Merc with a Mouth” and the challenges of finding the right story for a full length feature film adapation.

To start, Reynolds admits that he’s not tried on a Deadpool suit, nor is there one created for him to wear just yet (unlike with Green Lantern). He loves the costume and thinks that might be one of the easiest creative aspects of the project and that the real challenge comes with adapting his scattered history into a feature film with a sensible story.

“You want to find the best version of what’s in the comic books, but like a lot of [characters], Deadpool has one of the more inconsistent narratives… It’s tough, because the series has been dropped and reopened so many times. You really have to pick and choose so many of the best elements and cobble those together and create the movie of your dreams.”
As for the plan for the trailer, Reynolds has a pretty unique idea for what that should consist of, which demonstrates his true passion for this character and film.

“I’ve told Fox already that the only way there’s ever gong to be a ‘Deadpool’ trailer is if Deadpool makes his own trailer… He needs to be talking to the movie audience … with the movie trailer voice: ‘In a world… gone mad… one man… must stand alone…’”
This may be difficult to pull off but if someone must break the fourth wall as a comedic live-action comic book character, Reynolds is the right man for the job. He is really destined to play Wade Wilson and lets hope the complex character is done justice by Fox and the creative team.

To see the rest of this one part of MTV’s segmented interview with the Canadian star, head over to MTV Splashpage where he also discusses playing Green Lantern in addition to this role.

Source: Screenrant

I would totally be into seeing Deadpool get his own film. I think Ryan Reynolds could tear it up

‘Deadpool’ Offered to Robert Rodriguez?

The upcoming solo film featuring the character of Deadpool has been in the cards for awhile now. Ryan Reynolds played the character in X-Men Origins: Wolverine (one of the only saving graces of that movie) and depending on scheduling being worked out (Reynolds is currently busy with Green Lantern) he could play the character in the solo film.

It was confirmed back in January that Zombieland writers Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick would write the Deadpool movie. So that’s the writers sorted out but what about a director? Well, an odd but not altogether shocking director is reportedly being eyed to direct Deadpool: none other than Robert Rodriguez.

Production Weekly (via The Playlist) reports – and confirms from “a source close to the project” – that Rodriguez has been offered the Deadpool director’s chair. Now the key word here is “offered” and not “closed a deal” or anything that concrete.

Rodriguez is a pretty in-demand director (for example, he was offered the Planet of the Apes reboot but turned it down), but his relationship with Fox – the studio is releasing Rodriguez’s films Machete and Predators – indicates that Rodriguez would seriously consider the studio’s Deadpool flick.

Source: Screenrant

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
X-men Origins: Deadpool-The Major Motion Picture