Dune

Tools    

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Anyone else looking forward to this remake of a classic? If you don't know about it, it will be on next Sunday night on the Sci-Fi channel. It looks awesome from all of the previews.

I love the Sci-Fi channel because it shows the greatest classic Sci-Fi movies. Along with some good Sci-Fi shows.

We're talking about the one with that Kyle McLaughlin guy, Sting, and Dead Stockwell, right? With the "spice"? That was just weird - too hard to follow, and a bit too odd for me.

I have the feeling the new version won't be that good, but we'll see.

Yep. It was confusing, but I think I understood enough to follow it. The preview looks like it will be a good movie. But previews can be dishonest.

A few years ago at a sci-fi convention in Chicago, I bought the European version of Dune. 16 hours long, unedited, and completely true to the book. Including Paul marrying the Emperor's daughter to keep the bloodlines going, but keeping Shawni as a mistress. I loaned the tape set to my sister and never saw it again. She sold it at a San Francisco convention for twice what I paid and didn't bother to tell me about until 2 years later when I asked about it. This could be why I claim to be an only child now...lol. Excellent movie, but unfortunately, no longer available in the international version. Can't wait for the mini-series. I just hope it doesn't ruin the original for me.

Movie-Fever.com | New! Movie Fever Forums

I'd watch about 3 or 4 hours and take a break for an hour or so. I've sat through longer stuff though. I went to a Star Trek convention a few years ago that featured a 'Sit Long and Prosper' event. It was all of the Star Trek movies back to back with blooper reels and deleted scenes shown in between the films. That's the longest time I've ever sat still in my life I believe...lol. It was great fun though.

Yikes, that's a very long time. It reminds me of the TV-movie "The Stand" by Stephen King. It was 4 2-hour section - we taped the whole thing off of TV, and one day (I think it was a weekened) I just sat down on the couch, got some snacks and watched all 8 hours virtually in a row.

I don't even know why I did it.

lol. I did the same thing with The Stand when it got to DVD. Watched 4 hours, got up and flipped the disc, sat back down and finished the movie. lol. Guess I'm used to it though. It's not unusual for me to go to a movie theater and watch 4 or 5 flicks in a day. Like last weekend I saw 8 movies in 2 days...lol. Just call me crazy.

Oh hay! Another nominee for most boring movie of all time.

"Dune" was one of the three movies I've walked out in the middle of, the others being "Murphy" and "Shanghai Surprise."

You just have to watch the movie more than once to understand it and it will be better.

Anybody play the video game Dune or Dune2000? Fun Fun Fun.

Yea I have, they are really fun. Have you seen the preview for the new game, Emperor Dune? OMG! It looks so damn cool. It looks unbelievably cool. I'm pretty sure you can download the preview for it at http://www.westwood.com. Or if you happen to have Red Alert 2, you can click the movies/sneek preview section to watch it.

Sweet. I'll check it out.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Just legit watched Dune for first time the other day. WTF was that all about?? Felt like a 7 hour movie that had been cut down to 2 hours.

This might just do nobody any good.
Anyone else seen the documentary on Jodorowsky's version? It's fantastic and quite heartbreaking, tbh.

Just legit watched Dune for first time the other day. WTF was that all about?? Felt like a 7 hour movie that had been cut down to 2 hours.
This is the David Lynch Dune? Well basically it was , but what did you think of it?

You can't win an argument just by being right!

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
This thread is breaking my heart.

I remember in high school I spent the weekend with my dad. We rented a VHS of Arachnophobia and Dune, Dune of course was my choice as it had been a favorite for some time. We started with Arachnophobia.

About half way in, the step sister started to fade. Her mom carried her to bed as the kid pointed to each shadowy corner on the way whispering, "spider." We finished the movie, dad, the step-mom, and I. Then we started Dune. And I was excited because in an estranged relationship with my father, we knew little of each other. This, my favorite movie of the time, would now become a bridge of insight through which my father could finally relate to me.

Half in to the movie, my step-mom bailed. That was ok, because now it was just my father and I. We continued. Together. And our bond would only be that much stronger for it without the distracted dilution of others. This was not for them. This was for me. Spice is life! And soon my father, during the roll of the last line of credits would turn to me and nod in silent acknowledgment. Son. Father. The Spice must flow.

By the end I was giddy. This, my favorite movie, is bringing my father and I together finally at nearly 1:00AM. He stayed awake to finish this with me because, like me, he needed this. He understood.

Sting (I WILL kill him!) ...Sting(?) has been killed. The sister's power revealed. A magnificent specimen of a science fiction masterpiece has come to a close, but in that closing a new story is about to be opened.

After a few moments into the credits screen my father leaned forward and slowly turned to me in a new awareness as if he had just tasted the spice himself. This would become our moment! Yes. Like Anakin to Luke, in Jedi, my father will recognize his sin and bless me with his repentance. My father, a man that for all of my limited experience had always been a selfish man without empathy turned to me, made a slow a deliberate contact of the eyes and nodded the nod that I had anticipated. Sadly this was not that nod, but rather one of disbelief. He opened his mouth to speak and I already knew his words. "That was the dumbest movie I have ever seen." As if the insult was not enough, he continued, "Giant worms? Bwahaha..." Then he stood upright, said goodnight, and left the room laughing.

I've loved this movie since the 4th grade!! How dare he.