Frost/Nixon Review

→ in
Tools    

I've done a search and couldn't find a thread on Frost/Nixon. Has no one else been to see it? If not you're missing out on some excellent performances.

A few friends have been put off by the thought that the whole film is just going to be interviews, but it's so much more than that. Ron Howard has constructed a film that neatly sets the era and the lives of David Frost superstar talk show host and Richard Nixon disgraced president in retirement.

In 1977 we have Frost anxious to build a more serious base to his career, and shown as conscious of taunts of living and partying amongst celebrities, and Nixon doing some public speaking with the help of his Chief of Staff Jack Brennan. The two camps agree on a series of interviews, only the final meeting was Watergate allowed to be explored.

The film portrays two huge egos locked in mutual battle. Frost spending time frantically trying to raise money to fund the programmes once he realises how controversial he can make them with the help of Bob Zelnick, and James Reston Jnr who'd already written many articles about Watergate. Nixon being schooled by his team so as to gain some redemption from the disgrace.

Frank Langella hugely deserves his Oscar nomination, and I'd not be surprised one bit if he won. To play a character who is being filmed in so much close up must be tremendously difficult as facial expressions are hard to get right. He doesn't put a single flicker of emotion out of place. Michael Sheen too comes over very well, with that slightly smarmy feel I always got from Frost in his heyday.

One of the best films I've seen for some time, and surprisingly funny too which rings true as remember even Hunter Thompson found Nixon had a sense of humour.

This sounds like something that I would really enjoy... so thanks for the bringing it to my attention ...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
I want to see it. My Mother and Grand want to as well. We are trying to work out a time and day to go.

It's definitely worth it! Frank Langella is amazing! He looks, acts and talks like the old President. I also like how Ron Howard introduces some of the characters through interviews to give us their thoughts years after the events.

I agree with the Oscar nomination, but I don't think Langella will win. I think the main contenders for Best Leading Actor are Brad Pitt, Sean Penn and Mickey Rourke, which doesn't leave too much room for Langella to move his way through and win.