Panic Room

Tools    

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.
I saw the trailer for this during a screening of Black Hawk Down.

Looks interesting, although the trailer didn't reveal much.

Anyone have any information on it?

All I know is that Fincher directed it, and I therefore have high hopes.

This flick looks good. I dunno what that weird blue stuff in the trailer is supposed to be, though. Looks like electricity or something. Odd. I hope it doesn't get all freaky and supernatural. This is one of those movies with a great concept that has a LOT of potential...and, therefore, could potentially be a huge disapointement. We'll see.

If anyone is wonder, you can find the trailer here:

david fincher, im in
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

Panic Room was originally set to star Nicole Kidman, who had to drop out deep into pre-production because of her nagging knee injury (that also delayed the start of The Others last year). Rather than shut down production and wait, Jodie Foster was cast in the lead role instead.

What else do you need to know about it? The trailer sets up the premise very clearly. It stars Foster, Forest Whitaker and Jared Leto. But that David Fincher directed it trumps all the information you could possibly need, doesn't it?

It's set to open March 8th here in North America - three short weeks away.

And Commish - the blue stuff isn't a ghost or something supernatural, it's a fire burning so hot it's blue (see, when you're homeschooled you don't get to play with Bunsen burners).
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Yes, very funny Holden. I did know that about fire -- I've been partially tutored by my step-mother, who was a professional scientist for years...but I've only seen the trailer in a semi-fuzzy MPEG format (when you're in public school you don't usually get to play with streaming audio and video systems.), and therefore I saw nothing more than some blue "stuff." Thanks.

EDIT: BTW, this site probably wouldn't exist if I were not homeschooled.

Guy
Originally posted by TWTCommish
EDIT: BTW, this site probably wouldn't exist if I were not homeschooled.
Just wondering if you were homeschooled by choice or not?

Panic Room looks like a run-of-the-mill thriller. Maybe it will have layers, maybe not. In any case, it's been delayed until late March .

Just wondering if you were homeschooled by choice or not?
Well, you might as well ask a kid in public school if he goes by choice. At first, no, of course not. I'm just a kid doing what my parents tell me. If you're asking if I'd like to go to public school now, the answer is no. I like what I'm learning now. Both options have their ups and downs -- this, I think, is the best choice for me. There are always some, though, who look down on it. I'm used to it.

My personal jury is still out on Panic Room. The trailer piques my interest...but I can't help but think about how bad it could potentially be. I'll probably see it, save for horrendous reviews.

I'm pretty sure I'll be checking this one out in the theater. Foster is smart enough to stay away from bad scripts (most of the time, Anna and the King aside, LOL), I am a big Forrest Whitaker fan, and like ya'll said... Fincher is directing it (Fight Club, The Game, and Seven for those of you who have been living in a cave). I can't imagine how they can really go wrong, but it's happened before so I won't be completely surprised if it's weak. What bothers me is the pushed back release date... anyone know why?

i think the film's gonna have a hard time getting my vote... simply because its all set in one house... of course with fincher the possiblities of greatness are much, much better

Female assassin extraordinaire.
I agree, we've got the set up for what could be a great film but somehow ... if you just think about the plotline it's all just to find out what the heck is in the room that those people could want so badly. It's like ... god, what's that first movie with Bruce Willis trapped in the skyscraper and trying to save hostages? I can't believe I just forgot the title of that, but you know what I mean.

This is a huge house but not THAT huge. From the trailer alone though we're given that the Panic Room has it's own secret phone line so WHY, when she uses it, does it seem to not work? Oh, the robbers are intelligent, they know just where that phone line is! :P

Ha, I didn't even see Leto was in it. Just me lucky lady fav, Ms. Foster.

There's something odd about the overall sensation I'm getting about this film from the trailer though. The closing line was perfect - too perfect (What are they doing? Fade to black. Locking us in. PANIC ROOM.

It's a touch ... overblown, a bit too self-aware ... to the point where I think the film might fall flat of where it's trying to go.

As most of you have already commented, The Panic Room has potential. Thmilin has brought up a good point though: What could possible be so important that is in that room.

I just hope that this movie through suspense and some great acting can keep up with all the Hype. I do have one question for Mrs. Foster....what would posses her to do The Panic Room & not the Hannibal (Which I thought was really good by the way...having Foster in it though would made it brilliant. Why Clarisse Why!!!

After watching the HBO making-of for Panic Room, I know exactly what's in the room, and to whom it is important. If you want it spoiled for you...

WARNING: "Panic Room" spoilers below
One of the burglars (Jared Leto) is related to the previous owner of the house, who recently passed away. However the family is squabbling over the will and nobody knows what happened to a fortune in barer bonds. Leto's character knows the house (and the Panic Room) and figures if they're anywhere, they must be in that room. One of the other burglars (Forest Whitaker) is a professional thief, and the third (Dwight Yokum) is a stone-cold psychopath. None of the three burglars particularly like each other or get along in any way

Or you can just wait and see the flick yourself.

That's interesting...that it was revealed on the special, though. Am I to assume that's not some big huge mystery throughout the flick, then, if they revealed it during the special?

Humm... very interesting that they would reveal that... Must not be important to the story, which means the movie will more than likely be different from what I was expecting... Should be a blast though!

I'm betting the suspense in Panic Room will be more of the Hitchcok variety. Hitch's M.O. for suspense was not to have the audience left in the dark waiting for a twist - quite the contrary. He believed suspense was best whent he audience knew exactly what was going to happen, but the characters didn't. That way you can squirm waiting for them to figure it out.

A classic example he used was a bomb in a restaurant. You could just have the bomb explode after a mundane scene, which is surprising for a few seconds. Or you can watch the bomb be planted, then have a scene take place where unaware characters go about their business - all the while the audience knows the bomb is tick-tick-ticking toward an inevitable explosion. Thus, you create natural tension and suspense.

I don't see why it's that big a deal whether or not the audience knows the reasons for the burglars wanting in that Panic Room fairly early on. The question will be how long before Foster's character and her daughter trapped inside figure it out. That will be many reels into the picture, I'm sure.