Forbidden Planet (2010)

Tools    

Registered Creature
New Line Cinema had developed a remake with James Cameron, Nelson Gidding and Stirling Silliphant attached at different points. In 2007, DreamWorks set up the project with David Twohy set to direct. Warner Bros. reacquired the rights the following year and on October 31, 2008, J. Michael Straczynski was announced as writing a remake. Joel Silver will produce.

Copied and pasted from Wikipedia. And yup, it's obv. the remake of the 1956 version.

Thoughts?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Anything which is done well is worth doing, but when almost every big budget film is a remake, a sequel, or something so close to plagiarism that it seems like one of those first two, it just makes me feel that Hollywood has completely lost its heart and soul. I believe that one CAN make a good remake of almost any movie, but it mostly depends on if you loved the original and are doing it for the right reasons. A problem I have with the current remakes/sequels is that the reasons they're done seems to be to enable people with little imagination or cinematic skill to ripoff others in order to make enough money to set them up for life. Sorry, but that's what I see for the most part; completely jaded remakes done for a buck.

The original Forbidden Planet wasn't made by people who were cynical and jaded. It was made by people with some imagination who were trying to expand and legitimize the sci-fi genre. There is probably no way that a NEW version could affect today's youth and sci-f fans in the same way that original's Robby the Robot, the super-cool electronic musical score, and the FX, especially that trippy Id Monster, made a entire generation squeal with glee. But hey, I don't like old movies! Look, it's got Leslie Nielson as a straight leading man, and not only that, he gets to kiss scantily-clad Anne Francis. Also, look how fake those sets are! CGI will make this just so much better. We have to fix it for the NOW generation. In fact, you know what? Maybe we should start burning old movies because they are just bad and will rot your brain. New=good; old=bad. When we're done burning old movies and old records (er... CDs), maybe we can start burning some other old things, whether they're breathing or not. We don't want anybody around to tell us something different than we already know.

Whoa, back to Earth here. I still think you can do a good remake, but it's got to be done for creative reasons, and not financial ones. Sorry about this.

Registered Creature
OK Mark, you win the thread.