Babylon A.D.

→ in
Tools    

Babylon A.D.

It's a shame you know? This is the kind of movie I particularly enjoy. It has science fiction and action and some interesting cinematography and at just 90 minutes its a relatively short jump off even if its crap right? Well, right and wrong I suppose.

Mathieu Kassovitz, who some will remember as Nino Quincampoix from the very excellent Amélie directed this movie. Apparently there was some problems between him and the studio and as is sometimes the case with these sci-fi flicks it got cut down, reedited and of course the director has "disowned" the movie. Which to me and you means that we get to watch a movie that looks like it was going to be good but ultimately leaves us empty at the end.

What really suffered the most was the story and the lack of it. When you're trying to create a different world where you want your sci-fi movie to live, the Devil is in the details. Don't get me wrong there was a story it was just a very chopped up story and if the rumors are true about the in fighting then I would say the story suffered the most for it.

Vin Diesel plays an Ex Mercenary named Toorop, (I know I had trouble figuring out his name too and so did most of the cast) who apparently is forced to live in Russia because he has been labeled as some kind of terrorst back in the States and it really never gets expanded on more than that. He takes a job smuggling a girl from a convent who may or may not be some kind of viral bomb.

He has to take her to New York to go and live with her Mother or see a Doctor or something like that. This is what I mean, the story is just brutal like this throughout the whole thing. It turns out that Aurora played by the lovely (and really one of the very few brigt spots in the film) Melanie Thierry is a kind of engineered messiah mother who is going to give twins to some cult called the Neolite's and that will give them some kind of credibility as a "real" religion. I suppose because their religion has two baby Jesus's and Christianity only has one, that makes them twice as good or something.

Anyway, I wanted to like this more and sadly it was just a big mess. Parts of it had a nice "feel" to it and parts of it were just bad. Like I said, shame really, it could have been so much better.

Welcome to the human race...
Wow, just when I thought the look of this movie couldn't get any worse, PW claims it's bad?

Wow.

You ready? You look ready.
I really wanted to see this, but I haven't had time. I guess I won't even bother now. Thanks.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

I am half agony, half hope.
Nice review, PW. I was hoping against hope that this would be at least mediocre. Seems it fails at even that. Too bad, I like Vin.

Johann von Goethe