Rushmore (1998)

→ in
Tools    

Finally got around to REALLY seeing this, start-to-finish. Wow! Much funnier than I'd expected. While I thought The Royal Tenenbaums was pretty good (though not great), I thought this was much, much better. Much funnier...though perhaps 10 minutes too long. For me, The Royal Tenenbaums was just too weird at times...whereas this movie felt weird, but in a realistic way...the way most people are weird. I'm not articulating my thoughts very well, but that's as good a description as I'm able to write, for now.

There were a few segments that had me laughing non-stop...the dinner scene with Luke Wilson was probably the funniest. I'm starting to laugh now, just thinking about it. The first half was much funnier than the second to me...but the second wasn't much less enjoyable. Very good movie overall...highly recommended (not that there's more than a person or two here who hasn't seen it).

Side-notes: did anyone else happen to see that one of the actors in this movie (the person who played the contactor) had the last name "Tenenbaum"? Anyone else notice Andrew Wilson, who played the baseball coach? I heard him speak, and was SURE he was one of the Wilson Brothers. My mom didn't believe me...but, sure enough, he was there in the credits. There's no mistaking it...he sounded almost JUST like his brother Owen.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Couldn't agree more Mr. T.

Although, the first time I watched it, I hated it...gave it another chance and loved it.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

One of Wes Anderson's childhood friends had the last name of Tenenbaum, which is of course where he got the name.

And Andrew Wilson is indeed Owen and Luke's older brother. He's in all three of the movies. His largest part is in Bottle Rocket, where he plays "Futurman", Dignan's (Owen) mean older brother. In The Royal Tenenbaums he only has a vocal cameo, as one of the announcers when we finally see the game where Baumer (Luke) has his meltdown on the tennis court. The other announcer's voice in that scene is Jason Schwartzman, Max Fisher himself.

Glad youy finally saw Rushmore and enjoyed it. You'll enjoy it even more the next time you see it.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Now With Moveable Parts
Get the soundtrack for both Rushmore and Tenenbaums, they are both great. Quirky, fun, music.

Now With Moveable Parts
I hate watching movies I love on T.V. I can always tell where they've shaved off minutes and edited stuff. I hate the commercials too. Especially Comedy Central's commercials. They show the same freakin' ones over and over. If I have to see College Girls Gone Wild, one more time...

Also, watching Rose Red on T.V., sucks. You get like 10 minutes of movie, to five minutes of commercials, towards the end. Bad ratio.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Then like right at the end, climatic moment...commercial...I HATE THAT...

Anywho, I was just posting that so those who haven't seen it can without having to pay money, personally, I would pay money to see it.

Now With Moveable Parts
Well, I agree. I think if you are one of those who haven't seen it, you need to go out and spend the dough to rent it. Well worth it. I wouldn't watch it on T.V., though.

Hey, Spuds,
Ever see Slums of Beverly Hills?

Really found this coemdy had alot going on. Was emotionally invested in the charecters and loved where they were taken.

A quirky atmosphere and eccentric style from the writer director make this filma true original that deals with often cliched situations in inventive ways.

If your afan of RUSHMORE then I highly recommend checking out TADPOLE (8/10) with Sigorney Weaver delivering arguably here finest performance to date. Its on par with its counterpart and really delivers a quirky, well written story of mis matched love between a gifted 15 year old and an older woman.