Nutty Professor II

→ in
Tools    

Greeting fellow movie fans,

Has anyone had the chance to see The Nutty Professor II yet? I have heard it is pretty funny, but from the previews I have seen, it looks like a rental.

Any comments???

-Ryan

Sorry to say I have not...I'm guessing that it'll bee nearly as funny as the first one though...although nothing can top the line "Now we know what's eating Gilbert Grape, don't we?"

Well...it just raked in over 40 million bucks in its big opening weekend...about as much as Scary Movie and a bit less than X-Men.

By the way; where can I find box office TOTALS? IE: I know X-Men made 54 million on its opening, and 10 million just recently, but I'd like to know how much it's made altogether. Thanks!

Check out the site below. It lists the past weeks top 100, their previous weeks rankings, plus their cumulative gross(and the percentage they increased or decreased from the previous week).

http://movies.yahoo.com/hv/boxoffice/rank.html

Let me know if you find any other good resources.

-Ryan

I saw The Klumps over the weekend. It had a lot of the same elements as the first "Nutty Professor", with the inclusion of Eddie Murphy portraying several parts--the plump Sherman Klump--his father, his mother, his brother, and his grandmother (who's always ready for action, if you know what I mean). Janet Jackson plays the other lead role.

I thought the humour was pretty juvenile, but I couldn't help but laugh at the innumerable gas jokes. There is even a Star Wars reference that will make George Lucas cringe a little bit.

Despite the bodily function humour, the movie had a sweet overall quality and everyone that I saw it with had a really good time. I think you could probably wait till it comes out on video, though.

This film is in my Top Twnety Worst Films of All Time. I didn't find anything amusing about any of it. It billed itself as a comedy, but someone forgot to put the funny parts in. The most surprising part to me was that I managed to stay for the entire movie rather than walking out in the middle. Horrible, horrible.

But that's just my opinion. I might be wrong.

I will say this: I didn't laugh as hard as I did at the second Nutty Professor. This movie had maybe one even semi-bellylaugh.

However, I was aided by the fact that there were at least several other dozen people in a rather small theatre; it's a lot easier to laugh when a lot of other people are.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Okay, Chris, I know you've also seen this a second time (you were coerced) in a theatre with no other people in it but me and you. That's how I saw the movie the first time. Now what do you think?

I'm not a big fan of bathroom humor, so those jokes were lost on me as obvious. But it was worth the fun of seeing Eddie Murphy (whom I either love or hate) doing all those characters. Often I forgot it was Murphy playing a part. Grandma Klump was worth the price of admission.

Sure, predictable plot, ridiculous plot, obvious gas jokes. But it was still fun, even in an empty theatre. However, it probably would have been best viewed as a cheap matinee with lots more people.

I actually thought it was funnier than the first movie because of the impressions. (The first one still seems like a bad high-tech version of Jerry Lewis' classic to me. But then again, I'm old enough to remember that movie fondly.)

Them's my two cents...

Linda

Yup, no one else was there - very weird. If it wasn't quite so late, I might have had a bit more fun with that...

Yup, lots of low-brow humor. The funniest moments in NP2 matchup evenly with the funniest of NP1 - the first movie was funnier because we'd never seen anything like the "family dinner scenes" that are now so popular...

It went farther than NP1 of course...still worth seeing, but MUCH better with a lot of people around.

I thought NUTTY PROFESSOR II was OK...it definitely suffered with the replacement of Jada Pinkett as leading lady with Janet Jackson. Jackson is gorgeous, but she can't act. The subplot with Sherman's father taking the youth serum was a lot of fun though.