Tropic Thunder

→ in
Tools    

The Fungus Among Us
This is not a review, but a warning.

WARNING!!!!!
This movie is the WORST

Please do not waste your hard earned money on this terribly terrible piece of terriblosity. In fact don't even watch it illegally.

Do not believe the Hollywood hype. I got one good early laugh, then I absolutely hated every other second of this film that I endured. I walked out two-thirds in.

Listen, this is just one man's opinion and I'm sure future posters will have things more substantive to add, but seriously......
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Welcome to the human race...
Give reasons why it's the worst, then we'll talk.

I personally enjoyed it. It's not anywhere approaching great comedy but it was an alright piece of fun and I felt that I got my money's worth out of it.

Another sparkling MoFo review. Discuss?

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Tropic Thunder

"We trained actors..."

Tropic Thunder is probably the most anticipated comedy of 2008, probably more than Judd Apatow's Pineapple Express and Step Brothers. I was lucky enough to go see it Wed, with a near packed house.

I was a bit disappointed. The beginning trailers were funny, the first war scene they shot was so bad it had to be a satire, but once they go onto the island the story becomes too coincidental and at times so drawn out it can be annoying.

The main problem with the movie was the script. Sure a lot of the gags worked (RBJ becoming black and the trailers being the best) but a lot didn't (Jack Black's drug habit.)The script also used a gag way to many times, it is the gag where it makes you think that it is going in a cliche but it doesn't, I'm not saying that the first few times it didn't work but after a while it got old.

The actors do try to make the most though. Rober Downey has great timing and falls completly into character much like an actor like Kirk Lazarus would do, Ben Stiller does play his normal 'stupid guy' routine but for some reason seemed a lot more buff, Jack Black does act like an arrogant a-whole comedian, although after the beginning 30 minutes he gets annoying, only to return being funny during the last ten minutes. The A-list cameos were also fun, Matthew McConaughey freaking out over Tivo plays perfectly (plus what he does with it is funny) and Tom Cruise's dancing just might make me hope that he can re-launch his carrer with another 'Jerry Macguire' esque comedy.

Other characters aren't exactly given ampel screentime, and too me those seemed some of the funniest. I'm talking about Danny McBride's explosive technician Cody and Nick Nolte's 'Vietnam vet' Four Leaf Tayback. They take one of the most intresting turns in the movie, but we learn next to nothing from that. Very dissapointing.

Another problem was with the way we saw some of the characters. Like the drug lords, they make them very sympathetic but in the end, we are supposed to hate them. It was too big of a turn for me to like.

With this review I probably sound like I hated this movie, but I really did like it, part of that reason were the effects. The opening scene (after the trailers) effects were mind-blowing. Plus, you just can't beat Ben Stiller playing with a dead head.

Rating:
RENT IT

I laughed for about 10 minutes straight after the Panda scene (soz tried putting in "spoiler" tags but didn't work)

Apart from that it wasn't that great imo...

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Ive only seen trailers for this and it looks like a pretty good spoof of rambo, but as im not a massive fan of newer spoofs ill be watching this with the thought that it probably will be poor but hopefully it will be better than people are saying it is.

It also has some very funny actors init so that is a bonus.

The Fungus Among Us
Sympathetic to some people's opinion that this movie was funny, I actually went back for a second viewing and managed to tough out the whole thing.

It is my opinion that this movie fails on virtually every level of comedy and good film-making. To me it came off as one big Hollywood circle jerk.

The best line of the entire movie was delivered by Jack Black's character Jeff Portnoy, "I hate fu@$ing movies! I don't want to be in this sh#tty movie!"

I laughed through this entire movie.
Robert Downey Jr. is a genius.
Jack Black was himself.
Ben stiller played a good idiot, which he does best.
But Robert Downey makes the film. Master actor.
“I’m a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.” – not just a line, a true statement!
Warning - Foul language and silly gore. Other than that, funny as hell.

Tom Cruise was the funniest part of this whole movie. Ben Stiller's humor is immature and asinine, much like himself. Robert Downey Jr. is far too good to be in a movie like this, however it's right up Jack Black's alley. All in all it felt like a mashed together melting pot of assorted humor and because it was helmed by Ben Stiller I'm not surprised that it was so poorly received.

It was entertaining- people were expecting too much of a comedy when it was really a hybrid of comedy and action. I was impressed by the cinematography and by Ben Stiller's directing capabilities.

Do you work for Crazy Critics or something? You've made 3 posts and you have name dropped Crazy Critics twice now.

The obvious question would be: Who cares what crazy critics thinks?

Anyway, Robert Downey Jr. isn't seriously being considered for an Oscar nom for this flick is he? That's who EW is picking as one of their five and that seems a little ridiculous to me.

hehe Yeah, I've asked Yoda about this. I'm not too sure what his opinion is on this type of spam, or what he would do.

*Waits patiently*

Originally Posted by Powdered Wawa
Exactly, I've got way to many old crappy horror flicks here to sift through. When I need a break from those I'll just stick to Animal House.
That sounds more my speed. I'm not sure I'll like this any. I've barely even watched a trailer, yet.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I wouldn't be surprised at all if Downey gets a Best Supporting nom for this, and for the record, I recommend it.