The Count of Monte Cristo

→ in
Tools    

Epic. Entertaining. But not life changing.

All in all i liked this movie, but it wasnt THAT special, i would quote it as "cool".

Guy Pierce gives another flawless performance.

All in all it was almost like a kung fu movie, you go to it to be entertained, not to witness a great moviemaking masterpiece.
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

VERY good movie. Very good. Unlike some, it didn't shy away from the subject of God (can you say Cast Away?). It was inspiring, had a good message throughout, I think, and was simply well put-together. I'm glad I haven't read the book...I was actually nervous over what would happen in the end as a result. And yes, Guy Pearce was amazing. I'm starting to believe that he can do just about anything.

Highly recommended.

EDIT: Luis Guzmán was poorly cast. He looked the part, IMO...but I heard no accent. His voice didn't seem to fit.

Originally posted by TWTCommish
Unlike some, it didn't shy away from the subject of God (can you say Cast Away?).

Oh this should be good. LOL

Oh this should be good. LOL
Seriously! Do you know anyone who wouldn't mention God throughout such an ordeal? If you do, that person is in a very small, distinct minority. I'm not saying we needed a sermon here...but gimme a break. The movie completely ignored that.

Anyway, I've added a review of The Count of Monte Cristo, in case anyone's interested:

I don't harp for God in cinema because I'm a Christian. I do it because spiritual things (it doesn't have to be Jesus, mind you) are a major part of life for most people. Movies do not tend to reflect this...and, to me, lose some of their realism as a result.

Hmm, I dunno. I've never really thought about it because I'm not religious. Hanks' character in Cast Away is very much a busy body no frills A type personality. Throughout the beginning of the movie he always exerts his will on getting things done instead of having faith that things will be done or whatever. It would seem to me those types of people aren't the most religious around even if they may play the game that they're good church going people for whatever PC reasons. Good question though, I'll keep an eye out for that stuff.

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.
Even though it isn't released here, and I don't expect it to for another 2 months or so........Training Day has only just arrived, and received your equivalent to NC-17

But on the topic of Cristo, how does it work considering it runs at
2:12 and the book is around 1000 pages, as originally intended.

Doesn't a lot of material receive the chop?

I'm not slandering, just speculating

I really can't say, as I haven't read the book. I know someone who has, though she didn't see the movie. From what she told me, though, I think they got the basic story/spirit of it. Though obviously I can't be sure. Regardless of accuracy, though, it was a wonderful movie.

Guy
I saw this and found it quite good! Guy Pearce was too convincing. So convincing that I can't imagine him playing a good guy right now!

I prefer the French Miniseries (good if you are willing to spread the thing out over a week or so -- it's 8 hours!) and the Richard Chamberlain one.

I'm not complaining though! This one was good.

Now With Moveable Parts
I just saw this movie last night. I thought it was very entertaining. There were some obvious changes from the novel, but it didn't really interrupt the theme. I thought Guy Pierce was fantastic. What a prick! The woman, Mercedes, was beautiful. I had a problem with the way she spoke, though, she needs to open her mouth a little more.
It was the WORST audiance, in the theater, however. Goodness! Renting movies has totally spoiled people for the theater experience. This couple behind us was talking as though they were in their damn livingroom; making comments, telling jokes, second guessing what was going to happen next. It was awful. Some guy across the room must have been having the same problem because about 45 minutes before the end of the movie, he shouts," You boys better shut up, before you ruin the whole damn movie!" Poor guy, I hear ya.
Anyhoo, on a scale from 1 to 10...I give this movie a 7. It was Good fun.